(Topic ID: 215113)

Fixing/Replacing Stern Spike & Spooky noisy PS fans (plugnplay shipping now)

By PinMonk

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 640 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 77 days ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

new_packaging_2024 (resized).jpg
    wire removal RSP500-48-sml (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone (resized).jpg
    RSP 500-48_temp_graph (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220402_202330966.jpg
    PXL_20220402_201936766.jpg
    20220402_085312_resized_1 (resized).jpg
    instruction-sample (resized).jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-23 um 06.08.04 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210712_201645 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    Obstruction.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #54 Alternate Noctua DIY external fan approach Posted by D-Gottlieb (5 years ago)

Post #295 Alternate DIY non Noctua external fan solution Posted by John_I (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d-gottlieb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

Stern buys the power supplies from an outside
    vendor.

http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=RSP-500

#27 5 years ago

My plan is to use the 3D printed 40mm to 60 mm adapter, remove the fan from inside the power supply and power a 60 mm quiet fan from the 12V accessory board. So the fan will be on all the time. I also already removed the lower shroud from below the power supply to allow more air circulation and this, in addition to the fan mod mentioned above, hopefully will keep everything cool.

2 weeks later
    #54 5 years ago

I am using this fan adapter
    ebay.com link: 40mm to 60mm Fan Adapter Converter 2 sides alligned change mounting PC Modding

along with this silent fan
    https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-60x25mm-Blades-Bearing-Premium/dp/B009NQMESS/ref=sr_1_3
    and removed the lower cover of the power supply. I used aluminum tape to cover the hole left in the top cover where the old fan was. I plugged the new fan into the 12 volt accessory board so it runs continuously. It is very,very quiet at full speed and if you use the included low noise adapter impossible to hear. I can feel air blowing out from the top of the unit and I feel there is excellent cooling considering my experience building computers. There is no electrical interference from running with the lower cover off as it appears to be there only to stop prying fingers from possibly getting shocked. No more noise from the fan and great cooling.

tape (resized).jpgtape (resized).jpg

Cover removed (resized).jpgCover removed (resized).jpg

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

Hmmm...a $6 fan that does the job and looks factory or $27 in parts and a game that is bastardized?
    I went with the $6 fan.

I get that. This is completely reversible.

#62 5 years ago

Ok, so there is residue from the foam tape that I was using to hold the bigger fan I had temporarily placed there. I can remove it. The idea is sound. A constant cooling flow through the transformer is more desirable than the temperature fluctuations that occur with the oem setup, and there is zero noise. Nobody sees it anyway.

#68 5 years ago

I did remove the old fan. I had an 80mm fan sitting on top of the existing fan before this and with the lower power supply cover on, the original fan hardly ever cycled. I removed the cover and the internal oem fan never came on. The removal of the oem fan allows more airflow, the cfm of the 60mm fan is plenty and the air that blows out is not warm at all. Since the whole mod is completely reversible, there are no warranty worries, but I am not concerned.

1 week later
    #77 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

More
    Is this on a Spike 2 game (Star Wars)? It looks like you are plugging your fan directly into the Power Distribution Board (part no. 520-5343-1, I'm not in front of my machine but am assuming the real-life board is different than pictured in the manual, which does not show any connector below CN1). Did you have to modify the end of the fan's cord at all to plug in where you did?
    I have the 40mm-60mm 3D printed fan adaptor, and I'm looking at this fan which says it has a 3-pin connector, and am wondering if that will attach directly to the accessory board or if I'll need something else in-between:
    amazon.com link »

It's Star Wars Premium. I found the correct plug that fits the factory 12 volt header and attached it to an extension cord that the fan plugs into since the fan cord is not long enough. I did not feel the need to buy the accessory board. Been working great.

I am not familiar with the fan you want, but the one I bought is excellent.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Perfect, I was hoping to do the same. Do you happen to know what plug you bought to attach to the 12 volt header? I’m thinking I’ll pick one up and give this a try.

I don't know the name but will post a pic tomorrow and someone will know.

#80 5 years ago

The forum posts the pics in the order it wants, but you get the idea...

Cord installed.jpgCord installed.jpgHeader.jpgHeader.jpgcord.jpgcord.jpg
    1 week later
    #96 5 years ago

I am certain that another power supply lid could be obtained if need be. My mod is not too different in principal. Disconnecting the tiny jet engine fan and instead supplying a steady dose of air is not a bad thing. Dust filters can be placed in the cabinet, but, unless you're in a barn, there won't be much.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

A little dust is not a bad thing, but over time it can build up and have an insulating quality that leads to overheating and/or components working harder than they should have to because it restricts the air flow around components. Which is the irony of this cutting mod.

Any dust present in the cabinet would be sucked in no matter what fan is used. Stock or otherwise.

1 month later
    #107 5 years ago

My suggestion is to install a quieter fan, such as the Noctua, and have it run the entire time the machine is on. Stable temps make a happy power supply, and I can't hear it at all in a quiet living room.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Verified with a dual temp probe, the better Meanwell with the thermostat on/off sensor that Stern's using now with a quieter fan upgrade keeps the power supply in an 11 degree range WAY below the max rating for the power supply. Running a fan 24/7 is just wearing out a wear-prone component unnecessarily.

Granted, the fan will need to be replaced in 15 years.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

This is China. Depends on how cheap they were on the fan bearing type. Could fail in just a few years. Why run it 24/7 when you don't have to?

I think they are pretty good.
    https://noctua.at/en/nf-a6x25-flx

#115 5 years ago

Honestly, there should not need to be a fan at all. If Stern chose to, it could be passively cooled unit chosen for this application. With all the space in the cabinet, there is no reason to use this compact power supply.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I was talking about the stock fan. Of course you can buy something better, but if you're going to improve the power supply, move to the power supply Stern uses now that has a thermostat-controlled fan and get off the one that runs all the time.

I do have the latest version in my SW. If you see my prior posts, you will see the mod.

#126 5 years ago

Stern's manual lists 104 F as the maximum operating environment.

3 months later
    #187 5 years ago
    Quoted from cyberkryten:

Yes, there’s a connector labelled “CN6 12v OUT FOR B.B. USE” which looks ideal to connect a silent fan to without having to open up the PSU as I have some spare fans about from other projects

And that is what I did. The silent fan runs continuously and there are no issues at all.

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It could work, but I prefer cleaner solutions like the DIY fan replacement or the plug and play one I'm working on that both are inside the power supply and look factory. Plus that power distribution board connector is already used for toppers (like Game of Thrones). The fan mod, and especially the plug and play one, will look completely factory except minus the noise and not use any connectors used for other things. It's also temperature controlled based on the temp inside the power supply and not on all the time.

There are wires everywhere in there. I ran mine so neatly it is hard to find. There is an accessory block available that multiplies the single terminal into 8. My thought on the fan turning on and off is that temperature swings are best avoided with electronics to increase reliability, and a constant flow of air minimizes these. But, hey, do what you like.

2 weeks later
    #215 5 years ago

Good of you to step and make these. I hope you sell a bunch.

6 months later
    #286 4 years ago

It is cool that you went to all this trouble and time to come up with this solution. I gotta ask, though, wouldn't a resistor that could be plugged in line to the existing fan slow the thing down to make it quieter and still keep temperatures where they need to be?

#296 4 years ago

I did the same thing with a 60 mm silent fan. I got my adapter from someone here on the forum. Works great, and I like the steady cooling rather than the on/off system.
    I wonder if a perforated cover on the power supply would be sufficient so the fan could be ditched entirely.

2 years later
    #578 2 years ago

I went this way with Starwars two years ago and used a quiet Noctua fan and wired it always on. Can't hear it and it works great.

#580 2 years ago

That looks like a 60 mm fan.

2 months later
    #590 2 years ago

I am of the constant on theory of fan operation. While the thermally regulated fan is one solution, the up and down temperature swings are not the best for the electronics in the power supply. A consistent temp is better. However, the fan included with the power supply is way too loud for continuous operation. The one that PinMonk provides is fine but I don't know the voltage it is rated for. I took a Noctua 12 volt silent fan and wired it to the accessory connector.

7 months later
    #612 1 year ago

I would go this route but I like the constant on fan rather than one that runs intermittently. A constant temperature is better than one that cycles up and down. I just tossed the stock internal fan and replaced it with a 40mm Noctua fan wired to the accessory board. Works great and you can't hear it.

2 weeks later
    #623 1 year ago

Another reason to toss the fan completely and replace it with 40mm quiet Noctua fan powered from the accessory jack next to the power supply. No reason to connect it to the internal jack, no worries about wires rubbing or interfering and no temperature swings as the fan is on constantly and completely inaudible.

#625 1 year ago

For me, the factory look doesn't matter much when it's behind the backglass and even less when a functional improvement is made. But that's me.

1 year later
    #639 77 days ago

I gotta say, PinMonk's efforts are to be recognized and commended. I know that the stock fan on the ps is crazy loud in a home environment and I would have gone with one of his fans but I don't like the idea of a fan switching on and off and the temp in ps fluctuating to the extent that it does with this setup. I had to find a compatible connector for the fan plug into the Stern power distribution board at an electronic supply shop and had to solder the wires to it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d-gottlieb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans?tu=d-gottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.