(Topic ID: 215113)

Fixing/Replacing Stern Spike & Spooky noisy PS fans (plugnplay shipping now)

By PinMonk

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 640 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wire removal RSP500-48-sml (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone (resized).jpg
    RSP 500-48_temp_graph (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220402_202330966.jpg
    PXL_20220402_201936766.jpg
    20220402_085312_resized_1 (resized).jpg
    instruction-sample (resized).jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-23 um 06.08.04 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210712_201645 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    Obstruction.jpg
    RSP-750-48-inside (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #54 Alternate Noctua DIY external fan approach Posted by D-Gottlieb (5 years ago)

Post #295 Alternate DIY non Noctua external fan solution Posted by John_I (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sinestro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 5 years ago

Seems odd that there isn't a plug and play equivilent in a quieter fan. Is Stern's connector some kind of propriatary plug?

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

No, nothing special about it. The original red label Sunon was plug and play with a 3-2 adapter, but they discontinued it. I just need to find another with the connector already attached, that's all. Until then, I've been splicing them in.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. When you or someone else finds one that's plug and play, I'll be all over it.

2 months later
    #136 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

I'm still hoping for someone to make a plug and play option

+1000

3 months later
    #172 5 years ago

I'm in!

#181 5 years ago

#MeToo

4 weeks later
    #226 5 years ago

Got my fan tonight an installed it. The sound difference is really noticeable. You will hear it in a completely quiet room, but if you're talking at a normal volume or have the TV on at a moderate volume, you will never hear this new fan. You can hear the stock fan easily under those two conditions.

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE! THE STICKER ON THE FAN NEEDS TO BE POINTED OUTWARD OF THE POWER SUPPLY HOUSING. I had to take the whole damn thing apart and reverse it.

I'd like to thank Vireland for taking the time and risk to get a solution for us, then going beyond that with a plug and play application he's clearly not making any money on.

1 week later
    #232 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seems like Stern has more to worry about than this, with the issues the basic games are having. But you're right, this would be a pretty easy slam dunk.

Actually, their games are humming along nicely now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sinestro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans?tu=Sinestro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.