(Topic ID: 215113)

Fixing/Replacing Stern Spike/Spooky noisy PS fans (plugnplay now available)

By vireland

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 317 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 107 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fan-out-with-lip (resized).jpg
    fan-out (resized).jpg
    20180503_204303 (resized).jpg
    fan-kit-in-bag-sml (resized).jpg
    fan_install_instructions-rev3 (resized).jpg
    20190616_190628 (resized).jpg
    fan_install_instructions.jpg
    PowerSupplyComparison (resized).jpg
    power-supply-screws (resized).jpg
    20181111_170025 (resized).jpg
    connector-ps (resized).jpg
    power-supply-new-fan-install (resized).jpg
    Thomas Traceable 4240 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180523_074216 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180523_074805 (resized).jpg
    Cord installed.jpg

There are 317 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 18 days ago
    Quoted from pickleric:

Impressive instructions! Did you draw all of those images? Looks great.

I did part of the images and had an artist do the ones that were more complex. It really needed something visual that reduced well (photos don't) to go into each fan kit. I was happy with the way they turned out.

Quoted from herg:

That's funny, I was just reading this thread, thinking I needed to do something in my AMH and TNA. I did already swap out using the fan suggested in the TNA thread, but both games (especially AMH) are still louder than I like. I used one of your kits for IMDN, and it makes a HUGE difference. I'd love to get those kind of results for my Spooky games.

I had no idea how LOUD those Spooky power supplies were since I hadn't heard one in a home environment before. But holy crap they are unacceptably loud. I didn't know people had already tried other fans. I'm hoping I can get one set up that will work for both early Spike1 with the front mounted fan and the Spooky in one, but I need to get the Spooky Meanwell power supply taken apart to check the actual connector since I'm just going off specs for the unit from the company, then I can get get the first test fan installed and start temperature testing over time.

#302 13 days ago

Houdini has a pretty loud fan in it that runs constantly. Not as loud as the Spike fans though. The loudest fan I ever had on a pin was WoZ. Between the fan and the buzzing on the speakers in time with the LEDs in attract mode, that thing was embarrassing.

#303 13 days ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Houdini has a pretty loud fan in it that runs constantly. Not as loud as the Spike fans though. The loudest fan I ever had on a pin was WoZ. Between the fan and the buzzing on the speakers in time with the LEDs in attract mode, that thing was embarrassing.

WoZ had 5 fans (LCD, Case, ATX, switching power supply, CPU fan). That was the main problem. By replacing the LCD and cabinet case fans with noctua fans (I made a how-to thread on it https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quieting-down-a-woz-ecle-machine ) the sound was made WAY better.

Houdini with the added power supply is loud, but we're back to meanwell crappy fan choices.

Getting this replacement set up with the right connectors and thread cutting screws for Spooky and early or contract Stern Spike systems with the front-facing fans is looking pretty good. The fan is literally more than 10x quieter than the terrible stock fan.

#304 10 days ago

Just wanted to thank the op for the information provided here! I picked up an Aerosmith Pro a couple weekends ago and it sounded like a jet turbine starting up when the fan kicked on. LOL.

Also, thank you for providing individual part numbers AND a complete kit. It's nice when people figure something out and SHARE what they know for both DIYers and non-DIYers.

Thanks again!

#305 10 days ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

Just wanted to thank the op for the information provided here! I picked up an Aerosmith Pro a couple weekends ago and it sounded like a jet turbine starting up when the fan kicked on. LOL.
    Also, thank you for providing individual part numbers AND a complete kit. It's nice when people figure something out and SHARE what they know for both DIYers and non-DIYers.
    Thanks again!

Glad I was able to help. This started as a DIY project and turned into a product for sale I never intended to make for others. But most people wanted something they could just plug in so that's where I went. At least now there's a way to quiet the fan. I can't imagine if there was no way to do it. It's OBNOXIOUS from the factory.

#306 8 days ago

Okay, so the first Spooky test fan is installed and testing underway.

Some notes:
    1> Meanwell is using Sunon fans in this giant power supply Spooky is using, but it's not their super-silence series - it's a regular ball bearing fan that cranks out a whopping 34.5dB. Crazy loud.
    2> It's not as easy of an install as the Spike fan replacement due to some weird wiring choices at the back of the cabinet by Spooky and some dumb engineering choices by Meanwell.
    3> This Meanwell power supply pushes air INTO the power supply, whereas the vertically mounted Spike fans pull air OUT of the power supply.
    4> The replacement fan is literally 10x quieter than the stock Meanwell Sunon fan (Model KD1206PTB1).
    5> Because it's a vapo bearing vs plain ball bearing, the replacement fan uses about 1/4 watt and .02amps to run, while the stock fan uses 1.8W and .15 amps to run - 7 times more power.

We're probably about 8 weeks away from having this plug and play Spooky/Front Mounted Spike fan available for purchase.

I've been working with a Rob Zombie for testing, but if any Spooky owners with America's Most Haunted, Alice Cooper, and TNA can verify what model meanwell power supply is in their machine, it would be helpful.

Thanks!

#307 8 days ago

Both my AMH and TNA have a SE-600-48. ...and I agree they're not nearly as easy to get to as the Stern ones. I'll gladly remove and disassemble them for a second time to get them quiet, though.
    20180503_204303 (resized).jpg

#308 8 days ago
    Quoted from herg:

Both my AMH and TNA have a SE-600-48. ...and I agree they're not nearly as easy to get to as the Stern ones. I'll gladly remove and disassemble them for a second time to get them quiet, though.
    [quoted image]

Thanks!

So that's the same model as in Rob Zombie. Only need confirmation of what's in Alice Cooper now. Because of the way the wire is routed it needs a much longer wire to the connector than the Spike kit, but since I'm having it done custom for the full order, that's not a problem, just a data point.

Once I make instructions for the Spooky kit (instead of me figuring installation out as I go on this first test), it's probably a 30 minute job. One of the dumb things is the Meanwell case screws need a #2 philips, but the bracket screws Spooky used on the power supply side of the brackets need a #1 philips, so there's lots of unnecessary back and forth, where if Spooky had just used #2 compatible screws, there would be none of that - everything would work well with a #2 philips, making it faster.

Why did you take the power supplies apart the first time?

#309 7 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Why did you take the power supplies apart the first time?

To replace the fans. Per recommendations in the TNA thread, I used Vantec Stealth SF6025L. They are still loud enough that I know whether those games are on the moment I start down the stairs into the basement.

#310 7 days ago
    Quoted from herg:

To replace the fans. Per recommendations in the TNA thread, I used Vantec Stealth SF6025L. They are still loud enough that I know whether those games are on the moment I start down the stairs into the basement.

Thanks for the model number!

Who was recommending that fan? It's a terrible choice. You have the reduced airflow (which I've proven is fine with long term temp testing since that's what the ones I use do), but you get almost NONE of the benefits of sound reduction since it's still a whopping 20dB with too much power draw. It's crazy. I can't find the life rating on it, but as a straight up ball bearing fan, I'd be shocked if it was over 40,000 hours, which is bad because unlike Sterns, the Spooky meanwell fans run all the time the machine is on. That's only like 4-5 years at a 24/7 location.

The one I'm testing now has slightly better airflow than the vantec, 1/4 the power draw of that one, and only 10.7 dB. That's almost 10x less loudness and about 4x less perceived volume than the vantec. It's roughly the same as the quiet plug n play stern fan kit.

#311 7 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Who was recommending that fan?

I'll refrain from posting a name. You can easily search and find it if you want. It was mostly my fault for not checking the specs and just blindly using what someone else posted.

#312 7 days ago
    Quoted from herg:

I'll refrain from posting a name. You can easily search and find it if you want. It was mostly my fault for not checking the specs and just blindly using what someone else posted.

Haha, I don't want to name and shame. It was more a rhetorical "What kind of person would do this?" kind of question.

Since you replaced the fan twice already, did you find a way to get the old fan out and the new fan in with that metal lip on top WITHOUT unscrewing and shifting the circuit board away from the fan so it could be slid out from under the lip then up and out? It's a hassle, but I don't see any way around it...

Here's the stock fan stuck under metal lip with circuit board jammed against it.

fan-out-with-lip (resized).jpg

And then with the circuit board unscrewed and shifted down to allow for fan to be removed.

fan-out (resized).jpg

#313 7 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Since you replaced the fan twice already, did you find a way to get the old fan out and the new fan in with that metal lip on top WITHOUT unscrewing and shifting the circuit board away from the fan so it could be slid out from under the lip then up and out?

No, I didn't. It really wasn't that big of a deal once I accepted that was the only way to do it. It was a bit of an aggravation, but it went much faster on the second one once I knew to expect it.

#314 7 days ago
    Quoted from herg:

No, I didn't. It really wasn't that big of a deal once I accepted that was the only way to do it. It was a bit of an aggravation, but it went much faster on the second one once I knew to expect it.

Yeah, it's not hard, just an irritating engineering fail that involves lots of tiny screws and will make it a little harder/more annoying for a novice. Not as hard as without illustrated instructions, but a bit harder. If only Meanwell had thought about the construction a smidge more...

#315 5 days ago

Confirmed, ACNC (#48) has the same PS:

SE-600-48

#316 5 days ago
    Quoted from dnaman:

Confirmed, ACNC (#48) has the same PS:
    SE-600-48

Awesome, thank for you for confirming!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 27.50
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 16.00
    There are 317 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside