(Topic ID: 215113)

Fixing/Replacing Stern Spike noisy PS fans (plug n play option now available)

By vireland

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 282 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PowerSupplyComparison (resized).jpg
    fan-kit-w-logo (resized).jpg
    power-supply-screws (resized).jpg
    20181111_170025 (resized).jpg
    connector-ps (resized).jpg
    power-supply-new-fan-install (resized).jpg
    Thomas Traceable 4240 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180523_074216 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180523_074805 (resized).jpg
    Cord installed.jpg
    Header.jpg
    cord.jpg
    Cover removed (resized).jpg
    tape (resized).jpg
    SpikeMe.jpg
    Screenshot_20180511-113747_1.jpg

There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 85 days ago

Cheers mate.
    Sent you a message too...

#252 84 days ago

First rule of quiet fan club: everyone talk about quiet fan club.

#253 78 days ago

Yup just put one on my Munsters pro , such a must have . The difference is insane ! There is a arrow on the fan to show direction of airflow , make sure the arrow is pointed up and your good to go . I still place a small piece of paper after the install to make sure it working because it’s so quiet

#254 78 days ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Yup just put one on my Munsters pro , such a must have . The difference is insane ! There is a arrow on the fan to show direction of airflow , make sure the arrow is pointed up and your good to go . I still place a small piece of paper after the install to make sure it working because it’s so quiet

Yes, checking your work with the paper towel test to make sure the fan is oriented properly and will come on after a while is a MUST before you put the head back together.

Glad you like it. One day in my dreams Stern will contract Meanwell to use these in the power supplies instead of the terrible noisy default one.

#255 74 days ago

Just ordered two. One for BM66 and one for GB. My batman spins up periodically, but the GB just runs all the time. Looking forward to putting these in!

thanks

#256 74 days ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Just ordered two. One for BM66 and one for GB. My batman spins up periodically, but the GB just runs all the time. Looking forward to putting these in!
    thanks

Be sure to do the paper towel test to check your work at the end, but you're going to love the silence compared to what Spikes ship with.

#257 68 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Be sure to do the paper towel test to check your work at the end, but you're going to love the silence compared to what Spikes ship with.

Will do. Looking forward to it. I recently moved my desk in next to my pins and that is when the noise really became noticeable. It will be very nice to be able to leave them on and be doing other things without feeling the need to turn them off. thanks!

#258 68 days ago

Vic - great job on these - got them all installed and feedback from other UK folks is super positive!

#259 68 days ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Vic - great job on these - got them all installed and feedback from other UK folks is super positive!

Thanks! Such a small change, but it makes SUCH a big difference in a quiet environment like a home.

#260 64 days ago

Got the parts this weekend. I installed in my BM66 and its nice and quiet now. My GB ended up having the front facing fan. I should have caught that before I ordered haha.

Anyone have a recommended fan for the front facing spike power supplies? I figured I would ask before I go and search for good 60mm fans.

Thanks!

#261 64 days ago

duderegular I used this on my Whoa Nellie. It required splicing, but was straight forward. I plan on picking up several more for my JJP games.

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX, 3-Pin Premium Cooling Fan (60mm, Brown) amazon.com link »

#262 64 days ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

duderegular I used this on my Whoa Nellie. It required splicing, but was straight forward. I plan on picking up several more for my JJP games.
    Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX, 3-Pin Premium Cooling Fan (60mm, Brown) amazon.com link »

I was looking at this very one on Amazon this morning. Not afraid of splicing if that is what it takes. Are you happy with the noise level on yours? Thanks for the answer too.

#263 64 days ago

Quite happy. I'm also running it at the slowest speed; I haven't tried the higher speeds. In Whoa Nellie, the fan rarely comes on even with the lowest speed selected.

#264 64 days ago

vireland Thank you. I ordered two of these. One for my GOTG and the other for Star Wars. Put the first one on GOTG and got the positive paper towel air flow test. Last night after company left, I had all the games on without the TV. Totally quiet downstairs. The only game I could here was Star Wars. Stock fan ramped up every so often. Very, very obvious. So I went and listened for our other spike games. I could hear KISS, and GB but not bad. These had the older style stock fans that direct vented out the front, not the top, so I did not use your replacement fans.

But GOTG! I could only hear it if I really listened. Wonderful improvement. I will be changing out the SW fan this afternoon or tomorrow! Great job and thanks again.

#265 64 days ago
    Quoted from hd60609:

vireland Thank you. I ordered two of these. One for my GOTG and the other for Star Wars. Put the first one on GOTG and got the positive paper towel air flow test. Last night after company left, I had all the games on without the TV. Totally quiet downstairs. The only game I could here was Star Wars. Stock fan ramped up every so often. Very, very obvious. So I went and listened for our other spike games. I could hear KISS, and GB but not bad. These had the older style stock fans that direct vented out the front, not the top, so I did not use your replacement fans.
    But GOTG! I could only hear it if I really listened. Wonderful improvement. I will be changing out the SW fan this afternoon or tomorrow! Great job and thanks again.

Awesome. Once people hear the difference there's no going back. I really wish Stern would put me out of the fan businesss and ask meanwell to put these in theirs from the factory, but if they don't (and they likely won't), I'll keep offering these replacement to quiet the machines.

#266 64 days ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

Quite happy. I'm also running it at the slowest speed; I haven't tried the higher speeds. In Whoa Nellie, the fan rarely comes on even with the lowest speed selected.

Thanks again. Ordering today.

#267 63 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Thanks! Such a small change, but it makes SUCH a big difference in a quiet environment like a home.

Sorry for the late reply I was at Arcade Expo 5 all weekend.

I too had the front fan so I ordered this one. Still needed splicing but the wires have the woven cover and I was able to slide that over the splice. ebay.com link » Noiseblocker Nb Blacksilent Fan Xr 1 60mm Ultra Silent Fan 1600rpm 3 Pin 11 Dba

#268 60 days ago

I installed the Noctua fan in my Ghostbusters tonight. It has the front facing fan style power supply. Clipped the connectors from the old fan and the new, then soldered them together and shrink wrapped it all. What a difference. The game is running behind me as I type this and my PC is now louder than my GB. My PC is in a quiet case too btw. GB was super loud before. What a difference. Highly recommended for anyone on the fence.

#269 60 days ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

I installed the Noctua fan in my Ghostbusters tonight. It has the front facing fan style power supply. Clipped the connectors from the old fan and the new, then soldered them together and shrink wrapped it all. What a difference. The game is running behind me as I type this and my PC is now louder than my GB. My PC is in a quiet case too btw. GB was super loud before. What a difference. Highly recommended for anyone on the fence.

If there were enough of the front-facing power supplies out there with people that wanted a plug and play kit, I could do a custom factory order for those, too, so there's no soldering and no cutting, but the front-facing machines are a small fraction of the top mounted ones and I'd probably end up sitting on a lot of fans since I have to buy hundreds to make it pencil out and leave me enough for a #1 combo at Mcdonalds.

#270 59 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

If there were enough of the front-facing power supplies out there with people that wanted a plug and play kit, I could do a custom factory order for those, too, so there's no soldering and no cutting, but the front-facing machines are a small fraction of the top mounted ones and I'd probably end up sitting on a lot of fans since I have to buy hundreds to make it pencil out and leave me enough for a #1 combo at Mcdonalds.

Totally understand bud. Your solution worked great on my BM66 with the top facing fan. Plug and play is the way to go. Margins can't be very high on an item like this.

#271 59 days ago

It *might* be worth making the 2 pin (power supply) to 3 pin (standard PC) adapters, particularly if that’s a part you can outsource. Those would be easier to stock, mail, etc. Then again, it’s only been a couple games so far that we’ve run across that use the 60mm fans..

#272 59 days ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

It *might* be worth making the 2 pin (power supply) to 3 pin (standard PC) adapters, particularly if that’s a part you can outsource. Those would be easier to stock, mail, etc. Then again, it’s only been a couple games so far that we’ve run across that use the 60mm fans..

THAT part already exists. I'm not sure if the pins are all in the right place but you can get that fan adapter on Amazon.

#273 59 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

It's hard to say how many units went out this way. And you know they changed and they are still using the top fan design. I'd say provide instructions and maybe built to order for the 60mm fan and save yourself the trouble of having unsold stock.

2 weeks later
    #274 41 days ago

Just replaced the fan on my DP Pro. A must have! Thanks, Vic!

#275 41 days ago

Finally put mine in... SSOOOoooo much better, thank you, thank you, thank you!

#276 41 days ago
    Quoted from Vader77:

Finally put mine in... SSOOOoooo much better, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Another satisfied customer. Now if Stern would just do this OBVIOUS change at the factory level!

#277 37 days ago

Hi Vireland

Done a few of these.
    All good.

Doing a mates KISS.
    20++ minutes in, no fan action. Played heavy game. Nothing.

Swapped fan for another, still nothing after 10 minutes idle.

Can the games vary wildly ?

#278 37 days ago

25 heart stopping minutes for KISS to kick a fan on. All good

#279 37 days ago
    Quoted from Wotto:

Hi Vireland
    Done a few of these.
    All good.
    Doing a mates KISS.
    20++ minutes in, no fan action. Played heavy game. Nothing.
    Swapped fan for another, still nothing after 10 minutes idle.
    Can the games vary wildly ?

Yes, the amount of time before the power supply reaches the thermal threshold (122 degrees) to turn on the fan can vary WIDELY from machine to machine (even longer times on all machines if the room they're in is cool/cold). Ghostbusters turns on very frequently. As you've discovered, KISS not as much. I haven't had a defective fan sent out yet, but it's why I recommend you ALWAYS do the paper towel test, even if it takes a long time before the fan comes on. That way you know everything's working as it should before you zip the machine back up.

If you do a lot of these, do yourself a favor and get one of the Thomas Traceable 4240 Dual Temp probe thermometer for like $25 on Ebay. With it, you can watch the inside of the power supply temps after install in real time to see what the temp inside the power supply is inside while you wait for it to come on. You can also just leave it in and have one probe in the power supply and one in the backbox to see the max temperature in each over whatever timeframe you want (hour, day, month, whatever). It's what I used to test these fans on location for like 6 months before I released the plug and play kit.

#280 37 days ago

Put it in my Star Wars. Best mod possible.

1 week later
    #281 26 days ago

FYI, I'm almost out of the first batch of these fans I had made for this application. Factory is already working on the order for the next batch, but they haven't been sent yet. There's a possibility that there may be a week or two where I have no fans to send, but it will be a temporary situation.

2 weeks later
    #282 11 days ago

With the existing orders, I'm completely out of these now, but will be restocked by next week, so if there's a delay when you order some, it will be short.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Protection
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    There are 282 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside