(Topic ID: 215113)

Fixing/Replacing Stern Spike & Spooky noisy PS fans (plugnplay shipping now)

By PinMonk

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 640 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wire removal RSP500-48-sml (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone (resized).jpg
    RSP 500-48_temp_graph (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220402_202330966.jpg
    PXL_20220402_201936766.jpg
    20220402_085312_resized_1 (resized).jpg
    instruction-sample (resized).jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-23 um 06.08.04 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210712_201645 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    Obstruction.jpg
    RSP-750-48-inside (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 640 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Great way to weed out annoying buyers. Anyone who thinks a mod that can’t even be seen is “defacing” the game is someone I’d rather not deal with.

I've bought plenty of European pins with similar weird long-way-around-to-the-solution hacks. I still bought them, but I shake my head at the thought process that produced them. And it's mostly Europe and South American pins I've seen the weird things. Never Asia and rarely North America. No idea why.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

A little dust is not a bad thing, but over time it can build up and have an insulating quality that leads to overheating and/or components working harder than they should have to because it restricts the air flow around components. Which is the irony of this cutting mod.

Any dust present in the cabinet would be sucked in no matter what fan is used. Stock or otherwise.

#103 5 years ago

I think it's a great mod that fixes Stern's crap design. You guys are nuts worrying about dust in a backbox PSU. I've seen computer power supplies chalk full of dust running 24/7 for years without issue. Also, we're talking about a cheap metal cover for a cheap PSU that could easily be replaced for the potential buyer that can't handle a better functioning PSU. I did the suggested mod as it was easy and works, but cutting the cover or just ditching it altogether to accommodate a larger, quieter fan is also a great idea.

1 month later
    #104 5 years ago

Perhaps I missed it elsewhere but what situation leads to a constant on fan on an early gb pro?

Its driving me gd insane.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Perhaps I missed it elsewhere but what situation leads to a constant on fan on an early gb pro?

If its in here I missed it as well. My GB pro PSU fan is always on and it drives me up the wall when I am not playing it. I got to get a quite fan, bigger fan or do something.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Is that the one that has the big fan on the face of the power supply (picture?) ?

You can swap it out straight across for the $70-$100 newer style with the smaller thermostat controlled fan that's the subject of this upgrade. Upgrade it with a better fan before you install it and you're good to go. Built in thermostat will only turn the fan on when it gets past 122 degrees, and shut down if there's thermal runaway.

Here's one source, but there are many others (aliexpress, etc):
    ebay.com link: MEAN WELL RSP 500 48 48V 10 5A 504W Switching Power Supply

#107 5 years ago

My suggestion is to install a quieter fan, such as the Noctua, and have it run the entire time the machine is on. Stable temps make a happy power supply, and I can't hear it at all in a quiet living room.

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

My suggestion is to install a quieter fan, such as the Noctua, and have it run the entire time the machine is on. Stable temps make a happy power supply, and I can't hear it at all in a quiet living room.

Verified with a dual temp probe, the better Meanwell with the thermostat on/off sensor that Stern's using now with a quieter fan upgrade keeps the power supply in an 11 degree range WAY below the max rating for the power supply. Running a fan 24/7 is just wearing out a wear-prone component unnecessarily.

#109 5 years ago

I did the swap for the very quiet 5.5cfm fan. Now that we've actually got some warmer weather in Seattle, I've been monitoring it's action closely. Previously on average room temperature, I noticed it ran as long as 6 minutes before turning off. Yesterday room temperature was 79 degrees, and when the fan came on, it ran continuously for 15 minutes with machine idle and still wasn't shutting down.

It doesn't have enough cooling power to get it to the turn-off boundary on a warmer day, although likely it is keeping it in the safe range while continuously running. I'm not totally happy with that so will try to find one a step up next time I order electronics. If you're getting 80+ room temperature, I'd consider choosing a more powerful fan than that one.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Verified with a dual temp probe, the better Meanwell with the thermostat on/off sensor that Stern's using now with a quieter fan upgrade keeps the power supply in an 11 degree range WAY below the max rating for the power supply. Running a fan 24/7 is just wearing out a wear-prone component unnecessarily.

Granted, the fan will need to be replaced in 15 years.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I did the swap for the very quiet 5.5cfm fan. Now that we've actually got some warmer weather in Seattle, I've been monitoring it's action closely. Previously on average room temperature, I noticed it ran as long as 6 minutes before turning off. Yesterday room temperature was 79 degrees, and when the fan came on, it ran continuously for 15 minutes with machine idle and still wasn't shutting down.
    It doesn't have enough cooling power to get it to the turn-off boundary on a warmer day, although likely it is keeping it in the safe range while continuously running. I'm not totally happy with that so will try to find one a step up next time I order electronics. If you're getting 80+ room temperature, I'd consider choosing a more powerful fan than that one.

The turn on point is 122 degrees for that thermostat, but the 13dB fan will keep it far away from the point where it would shut down, no problem, so there's really no danger to the power supply even if the fan is on for 15 minutes at a time.

However, if you go for a 21dB fan, you can get 30% more cfm than the 13dB one (7.7cfm), and it's still much quieter than the Stern one. I linked to it in the OP, but here's the link again:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=MB40201V2-000U-A99

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Granted, the fan will need to be replaced in 15 years.

This is China. Depends on how cheap they were on the fan bearing type. Could fail in just a few years. Why run it 24/7 when you don't have to?

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

This is China. Depends on how cheap they were on the fan bearing type. Could fail in just a few years. Why run it 24/7 when you don't have to?

I think they are pretty good.
    https://noctua.at/en/nf-a6x25-flx

#114 5 years ago

I was talking about the stock fan. Of course you can buy something better, but if you're going to improve the power supply, move to the power supply Stern uses now that has a thermostat-controlled fan and get off the one that runs all the time.

#115 5 years ago

Honestly, there should not need to be a fan at all. If Stern chose to, it could be passively cooled unit chosen for this application. With all the space in the cabinet, there is no reason to use this compact power supply.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I was talking about the stock fan. Of course you can buy something better, but if you're going to improve the power supply, move to the power supply Stern uses now that has a thermostat-controlled fan and get off the one that runs all the time.

I do have the latest version in my SW. If you see my prior posts, you will see the mod.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I do have the latest version in my SW. If you see my prior posts, you will see the mod.

I know what you have in yours. This is getting crossed up. I'm talking about the person just a few posts up that has the older style power supply with the fan on the face that runs all the time.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Honestly, there should not need to be a fan at all. If Stern chose to, it could be passively cooled unit chosen for this application. With all the space in the cabinet, there is no reason to use this compact power supply.

Um yes there's a huge reason they switched! The PS is cheaper than a transformer.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

The turn on point is 122 degrees for that thermostat, but the 13dB fan will keep it far away from the point where it would shut down, no problem, so there's really no danger to the power supply even if the fan is on for 15 minutes at a time.
    However, if you go for a 21dB fan, you can get 30% more cfm than the 13dB one (7.7cfm), and it's still much quieter than the Stern one. I linked to it in the OP, but here's the link again:

Yup, just wanted to provide some extra detail that would help others decide which to choose. It's likely not dangerous, but if it has to run constantly at 79 degree room temperature, I'd be concerned about its cooling ability in locals where ambient temperature could be much higher.

I really don't like the 40mm fans, they have a poor trade off between cooling ability and noise. I can see why some experiment with an adapter approach.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Um yes there's a huge reason they switched! The PS is cheaper than a transformer.

And in quantity they're likely getting these power supplies for something like $20. So yeah, it's clear why they went this route.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Yup, just wanted to provide some extra detail that would help others decide which to choose. It's likely not dangerous, but if it has to run constantly at 79 degree room temperature, I'd be concerned about its cooling ability in locals where ambient temperature could be much higher.
    I really don't like the 40mm fans, they have a poor trade off between cooling ability and noise. I can see why people are considering the adapter approach.

I've got a location that's around 85 in the summer and the 12.8dB fan runs a lot, but is still shutting off, so it's holding its own. If you have a location hotter than that, you likely shouldn't have a pin there.

That said, I've been planning to put the 7.7cfm fan in that specific pin for a while now so it cools faster when it does come on, I just haven't gotten around to it.

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Availability...
    Price...
    Safety approvals built-in...
    Keeping the 120V together limits where you put this

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I've got a location that's around 85 in the summer and the 12.8dB fan runs a lot, but is still shutting off, so it's holding its own.

Can you quantify a lot? Like I said, at 79-degree temperature, it ran 15-minutes straight and didn't shut down. Has anyone else timed fan time on a warm day? Maybe it would vary based on machine, which could have different power requirements.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Can you quantify a lot? Like I said, at 79-degree temperature, it ran 15-minutes straight and didn't shut down. Has anyone else timed fan time on a warm day? Maybe it would vary based on machine, which could have different power requirements.

I didn't time it because it was shutting off (which means it was achieving proper cooling), but probably 3-4 times in an hour. 85F is a pretty warm environment. If you're putting one in a place that will be that hot consistently, I'd look at the linked 7.7cfm fan that's 21dB instead, though. Like I said, I plan to change it out at some point, but I'm not in a rush because the 12.8dB fan is still doing its job in the one pin in that warmer environment.

#125 5 years ago

We probably need a larger sample size or include machine type to figure out the discrepancy since mine doesn't shut off in a cooler environment than yours. Maybe my machine is more power-hungry and has a warmer inside ambient temperature.

#126 5 years ago

Stern's manual lists 104 F as the maximum operating environment.

#127 5 years ago

That makes sense: I knew it had to be significantly higher than 85 degrees... I'm sure there are many machines in operation that are often in 85+ temps. That maximum operating environment probably drops significantly when you use the low volume, quiet fan. But I figured in mild Seattle I'd be safe.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

We probably need a larger sample size or include machine type to figure out the discrepancy since mine doesn't shut off in a cooler environment than yours. Maybe my machine is more power-hungry and has a warmer inside ambient temperature.

Is your power supply already upgraded to the quieter 12.8dB fan? Or do you have one of the Stern pros that have the factory larger fan that always runs and never shuts off?

#129 5 years ago

Msg 109...

Quoted from HighVoltage:

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Maybe the ventilation is worse in your location. Closer to a wall or ceiling that cuts down on overall airflow?

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Msg 109... The 6-minute run time I referred to was the longest run time I measured on the louder stock 40mm fan before I switched to the quiet low volume one.

Sorry, I lost track of which conversation went to what. If the low-volume fan is shutting off, it's clearly still doing its job, and the upper threshold for the power supply to shut down is really high temp, so you're not going to get there. But if 15 minute run times bother you, then switching to the 7.7cfm one should get it under 10 minutes in your environment, and 21dB is still a LOT better than the stock Stern one.

#132 5 years ago

Not sure how you missed it, but mine is -not- turning off.

On cooler days with low 70s room temp, it would run for as long as 6 minutes at a time, and the original fan ran about 1-minute at a time.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

when the fan came on, it ran continuously for 15 minutes with machine idle and still wasn't shutting down.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

Like I said, at 79-degree temperature, it ran 15-minutes straight and didn't shut down.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

... since mine doesn't shut off in a cooler environment than yours.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Not sure how you missed it, but mine is -not- turning off.
    On cooler days with low 70s room temp, it would run for as long as 6 minutes at a time, and the original fan ran about 1-minute at a time.

Weird. The only way to see if the problem is the fan or the temp sensor in the power supply is to get an accurate reading inside the power supply using a bullet probe. Something like a Thomas Traceable Dual Probe 4240 Thermometer. It records the max and minimum temp recorded on two probes (I put one inside the PS, and the other in the head when testing). Very useful. There's one on Ebay now for a decent price. Usual price is $30-$40 used.

ebay.com link: sch

The only other thing I can think of for the difference is maybe the humidity? Redding is very dry with super-low humidity. Seattle is not. Maybe that makes the warm air move less? No idea.

#134 5 years ago

I just got IMDN and that fan is crazy loud! I've read through the thread but I'm a little confused... what's the recommended fan for easiest replacement?
    Thanks

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vader77:

I just got IMDN and that fan is crazy loud! I've read through the thread but I'm a little confused... what's the recommended fan for easiest replacement?
    Thanks

I'm still hoping for someone to make a plug and play option

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

I'm still hoping for someone to make a plug and play option

+1000

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vader77:

Thanks

How warm is your environment? You can do the 12.8dB fan or if your pin is in a warmer area that's in that's in the upper 70s or better, you can do the 21dB fan. Both are significantly quieter than the stock Stern fan.

#138 5 years ago

It's in a basement that is 73-80° 100% of the time.

#139 5 years ago

The only link that went to one you can still buy is in post #15 but I don't think you're suggesting that...
    I think I like the GOTG guy's idea in #65. Thoughts? Concerns?

I power all mine with one power strip so mods like that can just plug into service outlet. Seems easy and very reversible (like I'm ever letting go of IMDN).

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vader77:

It's in a basement that is 73-80° 100% of the time.

I'd go with the 7.7cfm 21dB one then. The link in the OP works fine for me...

This one. Says there are more than 3800 ready to ship:

If you want to get some connectors while you're there, you won't have to splice it in. It will be plug and play.

#141 5 years ago

Ah... I saw "obsolete" and "non stock" and thought it was unavailable, sorry. I may try that way...

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vader77:

Ah... I saw "obsolete" and "non stock" and thought it was unavailable, sorry. I may try that way...

For some reason Sunon LOVES to keep rotating part numbers, so stuff goes non-stock all the time when they have a new one that's essentially the same thing. I think they just make a whole bunch of one, then when they make another run - new part number! It's a hassle.

1 month later
    #143 5 years ago

Is Stern still using the noisy fans in the new Deadpool pin?
    I played one the other day at Little Shop Of Games and didn't hear the annoying whine...

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Is Stern still using the noisy fans in the new Deadpool pin?
    I played one the other day at Little Shop Of Games and didn't hear the annoying whine...

It only comes on every so often - more if the room is hot, less if it's cool. Can't speak to Deadpool but my Iron Maiden that's only a few months still had the loud fan and I'd be really surprised if things had changed since then, but you never know.

1 month later
    #145 5 years ago

Finally got around to trying this. My machines are in my basement, which never gets above room temperature. They are fairly close to where I watch tv, and I like having them on just for the ambience while I am watching or gaming, so the noise on my Deadpool and SW Premium were starting to bug me.

I did my SW Premium, following the instructions and using the parts in the original post. I didn't want to splice, I wanted it as reversible as possible, so I also bought the connector housing and crimp on connectors. I also bought both the 12.8 and 21 db fans so I could compare. My notes/findings:

1) The crimp on connectors are the right part #, they worked great. Anyone trying to do this who does not already have a crimp tool, get one, comes in useful for all types of pin repair stuff.

2) The 21 db fan is definitely quieter than the Stern. I didn't time it closely, but it did not seem to run any longer than the stock Stern fan when cooling down. I really wanted to use this one just to play it safe, but I felt the fan was still too noisy

3) The 12.8 db fan is nice. Can barely hear it while running. I can hear it come on but I have to be listening for it. It does take longer to cool down the power supply, runs for about 6 mins compared to 2.5 to 3 mins on Stern fan.

Big thanks to Vireland for posting the parts and everything. I bought extra housings and crimp connectors (because I usually screw up my crimping a couple of times), and two of each kind of fan, and with shipping only came to about $55 CDN, which is less than I usually have to pay on shipping alone for mods and parts, so pretty happy.

Maybe one day Stern will source fanless or quieter power supplies but until then I will just mod my Spike games with this, and will still be able to pop the original fan back in when I go to sell if someone is concerned.

#146 5 years ago

Wish someone would do a kit that was just a straight swap! Can't splice so it's a tricky job.

Meanwell do fanless power supply units but guessing they cost more?

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Meanwell do fanless power supply units but guessing they cost more?

Correct. Fanless supplies are available and generally more expensive than actively cooled.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Correct. Fanless supplies are available and generally more expensive than actively cooled.

What model would be needed for Spike 1 and Spike 2 - curious - thinking ahead!

#149 5 years ago

So, even my wife is fed up with Stern fans when I leave my games on!

ebay.com link: PC Computer Case Cooling Fan Cooler 2Pin Ultra Silent Low Noise 40mm 40x40x10mm

Trying to find a quiet 2 pin.

This one is 15DB.

Would it work/fit?

Not sure why it has 2 connectors on it?

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

What model would be needed for Spike 1 and Spike 2 - curious - thinking ahead!

You need some Meanwell 48V supply with at least 500W power. Passive ones exist such as MW HEP-600-48. But they are quite expensive compared to the Spike model (200 vs 100 bucks roughly).

There are 640 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans/page/3?hl=jabdoa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.