(Topic ID: 215113)

Fixing/Replacing Stern Spike & Spooky noisy PS fans (plugnplay shipping now)

By vireland

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 489 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 41 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200706_201348 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200613_072805 (resized).jpg
    RZ_Power_Supply_Back_Wires_Removed (resized).jpg
    RZ_Power_Supply_Back (resized).jpg
    Fan-compatability-matrix_2020-05-08 (resized).png
    Spike_300W_Fan_Kit_Sml (resized).jpg
    Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone.jpg
    SFAN-003_Spooky-Multimorphic-Fan-Kit_600x (resized).jpg
    SpikePowerSupplyComparison (resized).jpg
    SpikePowerSupplyComparison (resized).jpg
    03-19-2020 (resized).jpg
    F4E53AA4-6A78-43D3-97E9-521DB2301A49 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20191102_145305 (resized).jpg
    spooky-fan-small (resized).jpg
    fan-out-with-lip (resized).jpg
    fan-out (resized).jpg

There are 489 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
    #451 69 days ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

Great. Thanks for checking and making the correction. I’ll place my order.

Thanks for making me aware of it!

#452 66 days ago
    Quoted from MacJedi:

Any advice on removing the nuts holding in the power supply on my Star Wars LE? They seem to have locktite or something keeping them in place. I haven't had luck removing them yet. Thanks!

Holy crap, I just did a new Stranger Things with two nuts tightened like this. They were jammed on so tight, it was really hard to loosen them. They didn't seem to have loctite on them, though. Maybe Stern is using power tools without setting the torque collar to stop them from being jammed on. This is the first one I've seen like this, and it sounds exactly like what you're describing on Star Wars.

#453 65 days ago

So, just did a Stranger Things, and the RSP-500-48 in it had a MUCH different "goo configuration" than prior power supplies, making the changeover MUCH easier - NO MORE CUTTING to free the original fan wire from the giant white blob of silicone! They aren't securing it on the left side of the coil, at least on this one. Anyone else doing a JP or Stranger things, let me know if the big blob that held the fan wiring down on pretty much all prior RSP-500-48 power supplies is gone now on your JP or STh, too. This would be a welcome change from Meanwell!

Here's a comparison of what pretty much all the power supplies looked like until I opened Stranger Things, and the one in Stranger Things...

Older_vs_2020_power_supply_goo_gone.jpg

#454 65 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

So, just did a Stranger Things, and the RSP-500-48 in it had a MUCH different "goo configuration" than prior power supplies, making the changeover MUCH easier - NO MORE CUTTING to free the original fan wire from the giant white blob of silicone! They aren't securing it on the left side of the coil, at least on this one. Anyone else doing a JP or Stranger things, let me know if the big blob that held the fan wiring down on pretty much all prior RSP-500-48 power supplies is gone now on your JP or STh, too. This would be a welcome change from Meanwell!
    Here's a comparison of what pretty much all the power supplies looked like until I opened Stranger Things, and the one in Stranger Things...
    [quoted image]

no more globs....woohoo.

#455 64 days ago

Okay, beta testing is done and the Spike plug n play quiet fan kits for the 300W power supplies are ready to go! They're in the pinmonk store here on pinside and also on pinmonk.com.

Fun fact: The fan is technically compatible with Spooky/Multimorphic, but the custom wire length for the 300W Spike PS is MUCH shorter, so it wouldn't reach the connector.

Here's what it looks like:

Spike_300W_Fan_Kit_Sml (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #456 53 days ago

Any reviews for the Spooky installs?

I'd love to turn down my TNA, so I'm curious to know the impact of this mod.
    Cheers.

#457 53 days ago
    Quoted from highdef:

Cheers.

I shipped a ton of them out over the last week, so hopefully some install posts soon!

#458 53 days ago
    Quoted from highdef:

Cheers.

I bought one and installed last week. The new fan is almost completely silent. It is a night and day difference. Now I hear the high pitch buzz from the EL panels I have in my TNA rails which I had never heard before. The install does take a little bit of work to pull the PS and remove the old fan but Pinmonk provides very detailed instructions. I would happily buy this product again if I had another game that needed it. 5 gold stars. Two thumbs up. 10/10. A+.

#459 53 days ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

I bought one and installed last week. The new fan is almost completely silent. It is a night and day difference. Now I hear the high pitch buzz from the EL panels I have in my TNA rails which I had never heard before. The install does take a little bit of work to pull the PS and remove the old fan but Pinmonk provides very detailed instructions. I would happily buy this product again if I had another game that needed it. 5 gold stars. Two thumbs up. 10/10. A+.

Thanks for the testimonial!

One of these days they'll figure out how to reduce that high pitched EL panel whine, too...

#460 52 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Thanks for the testimonial!
    One of these days they'll figure out how to reduce that high pitched EL panel whine, too...

No problem! Do you have any ideas how they would?

#461 52 days ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

No problem! Do you have any ideas how they would?

No idea. I'm just a casual user of EL stuff. I have no idea about the engineering side of them. I assume SOMEONE will come up with a solution to the sound eventually. It's the way of technology.

#462 52 days ago

I finally got around to installing mine today on my ACNC. The hardest part was disconnecting/reconnecting the rear external wires on the power supply just due to lack of room and a good view. But the directions are spot on and install was super easy.

I will say that it made a HUGE difference! In my house, the fan was super loud just due to the acoustics of the room. After the swap, it is silent. An amazing upgrade!! When my R&M comes someday, this swap will be one of the first things I do to the pin.

#463 52 days ago
    Quoted from calfdemon:

I finally got around to installing mine today on my ACNC. The hardest part was disconnecting/reconnecting the rear external wires on the power supply just due to lack of room and a good view. But the directions are spot on and install was super easy.
    I will say that it made a HUGE difference! In my house, the fan was super loud just due to the acoustics of the room. After the swap, it is silent. An amazing upgrade!! When my R&M comes someday, this swap will be one of the first things I do to the pin.

Thanks for sharing your install experience.

It would be SOOOOO much easier if Spooky just used a molex connector for each of the wire bunches from the factory. One connector for the wires in the back, and another for the ones in the front. They're keyed connectors, so no putting them on backwards, and disconnect/reconnect would take seconds. It'd be a snap, like removing the Spike power supply is.

For those following along, THIS is the block on the back of Spooky SE-600-48 power supplies in the cabinet where the 120v wires come in that's inconvenient to see/get off due to how close it is to the back of the cabinet:

RZ_Power_Supply_Back (resized).jpg

Here it is after the wires are removed:
    RZ_Power_Supply_Back_Wires_Removed (resized).jpg

The terminal blocks on the front are easy-access.

#464 52 days ago

I didn't even remove the wires from the front of the power supply. Those 4 wires go to 1 molex connector which plugs in right behind the power supplies on the back wall of the cab. I just unplugged that molex and the front was done.

#465 52 days ago
    Quoted from calfdemon:

I didn't even remove the wires from the front of the power supply. Those 4 wires go to 1 molex connector which plugs in right behind the power supplies on the back wall of the cab. I just unplugged that molex and the front was done.

Well, that's progress, I guess! I don't think this one I did had the molex connector on the front. But one for the back is sorely needed.

#466 52 days ago

I have done the fan mod on every spike and spike 2 game I have had so far. One or two were on my own with ordered parts, but much prefer this kit as its so quick and easy. I am ordering another for our Beatles now as it sits behind me spinning away.... Thanks buddy!

#467 51 days ago

Just a shout out that this fan works awesome. Put one in my Aerosmith , and I can't even hear when the fan comes on.

#468 51 days ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

I have done the fan mod on every spike and spike 2 game I have had so far. One or two were on my own with ordered parts, but much prefer this kit as its so quick and easy. I am ordering another for our Beatles now as it sits behind me spinning away.... Thanks buddy!

Quoted from epeabs:

Just a shout out that this fan works awesome. Put one in my Aerosmith , and I can't even hear when the fan comes on.

Awesome to hear when more pin power supply fans are shushed.

#469 50 days ago

has anyone made a new style power supply to replace transformers in older pins? It sure is nice that new sterns do not have a big heavy transformer in them anymore.

#470 50 days ago
    Quoted from calfdemon:

I concur with all of this. I just swapped the fan on my ACNC. Took about an hour. I'm not a pro by any means but not a novice either.

The pin is on right now and the room is dead silent. Excellent product at a great price. If you're even remotely used to working on pins and you hate the noise coming from your fan, then I strongly suggest this upgrade.

#471 50 days ago
    Quoted from MEuRaH:

I concur with all of this. I just swapped the fan on my ACNC. Took about an hour. I'm not a pro by any means but not a novice either.
    The pin is on right now and the room is dead silent. Excellent product at a great price. If you're even remotely used to working on pins and you hate the noise coming from your fan, then I strongly suggest this upgrade.

Awesome, thanks for posting your experience and recommendation!

Quoted from silver_spinner:

has anyone made a new style power supply to replace transformers in older pins? It sure is nice that new sterns do not have a big heavy transformer in them anymore.

There are a number of project pins where people didn't use a transformer when they converted the old machine to their project, but for an existing 2000-era pin pre-spike it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

#472 49 days ago

Ministry of Pinball will be carrying all the fan kits and a selection of other Pin Monk items for the European crowd! They should have stock this week.

1 week later
    #473 42 days ago

Got the fan into my TNA. OMG it's night and day difference, from jet engine to zero sound. Simple installation. Also got the Maiden mode gels from vireland. Thanks for the sweet mods man!

#474 42 days ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Got the fan into my TNA. OMG it's night and day difference, from jet engine to zero sound. Simple installation. Also got the Maiden mode gels from vireland. Thanks for the sweet mods man!

Awesome. Glad to have taken a load off your ears. Thanks for the testimonial!

BTW, if anyone with the Spooky/Multimorphic SFAN-003 kit finds something unclear in the instructions, let me know and I'll see if it needs to be adjusted. They were run through multiple pinsiders on multiple installs so I could fine-tune them before I did the general release, but I want them to be completely painless to follow, so if something's unclear to you when installing, let me know and I'll see if some point needs to be changed or clarified.

#475 42 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Awesome. Glad to have taken a load off your ears. Thanks for the testimonial!
    BTW, if anyone with the Spooky/Multimorphic SFAN-003 kit finds something unclear in the instructions, let me know and I'll see if it needs to be adjusted. They were run through multiple pinsiders on multiple installs so I could fine-tune them before I did the general release, but I want them to be completely painless to follow, so if something's unclear to you when installing, let me know and I'll see if some point needs to be changed or clarified.

The instructions were perfect, simple and straight forward.

2 weeks later
    #476 24 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

[quoted image]

I did my 2/12/20 Deadpool this morning, and mine appears to be the new and improved "now with less goo!" version. The blob on the fan wire was a little bigger than your example, but it was plain old silicone (not that whiter stuff) and it was all on top of the wire, so it was pretty easy to free the wire from underneath it without any cutting.

IMG_20200613_072805 (resized).jpg
    #477 24 days ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I did my 2/12/20 Deadpool this morning, and mine appears to be the new and improved "now with less goo!" version. The blob on the fan wire was a little bigger than your example, but it was plain old silicone (not that whiter stuff) and it was all on top of the wire, so it was pretty easy to free the wire from underneath it without any cutting.
    [quoted image]

Yeah, that's a LOT less goo than they used to put on that wire. Before it was irritating to remove the wire from it to replace the fan. Now it's a breeze. Thanks for reporting what was inside yours. Glad you like the improvement in sound!

3 weeks later
    #478 1 day ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Yeah, that's a LOT less goo than they used to put on that wire. Before it was irritating to remove the wire from it to replace the fan. Now it's a breeze. Thanks for reporting what was inside yours. Glad you like the improvement in sound!

mine had a big load of white goo between R16 and SCR1 - but fitted my fan from Ministry of Pinball this morning and it's SO much quieter... thanks for putting this together.

Sadly they were out of stock of your Fireball Bracket lens kit, so i'll have to wait for that one...

#479 1 day ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

mine had a big load of white goo between R16 and SCR1 - but fitted my fan from Ministry of Pinball this morning and it's SO much quieter... thanks for putting this together.
    Sadly they were out of stock of your Fireball Bracket lens kit, so i'll have to wait for that one...

Thanks for the post!

Yeah, it wasn't clear which items would be popular for Europe besides the quiet fan kits, so they ordered just a few other "best sellers" from the US Pinmonk store to carry that they brought in to gauge interest.

Glad you were happy with the kit! The white goo is not uncommon and is mentioned in the instructions. As long as you cut slowly with precision cutters to weaken it, you can pull the fan wire out eventually. Some people even have room to pull it out from under the glob but that's a little more dangerous. On the newer machines, Meanwell has changed to using glue (or maybe much harder silicone) that's kind of clear instead of bright white silicone. It's harder to cut through with the clippers, but it's easier to see through, so it all kind of evens out in the challenge department.

One of the other distributors in Europe has decided to go their own way with a different fan that's louder, less reliable, and not custom with the correct wire length and connector. I hope they don't fool people into thinking it's the same as the quiet fan kits because it's nowhere close.

#480 1 day ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Thanks for the post!
    Yeah, it wasn't clear which items would be popular for Europe besides the quiet fan kits, so they ordered just a few other "best sellers" from the US Pinmonk store to carry that they brought in to gauge interest.
    Glad you were happy with the kit! The white goo is not uncommon and is mentioned in the instructions. As long as you cut slowly with precision cutters to weaken it, you can pull the fan wire out eventually. Some people even have room to pull it out from under the glob but that's a little more dangerous. On the newer machines, Meanwell has changed to using glue (or maybe much harder silicone) that's kind of clear instead of bright white silicone. It's harder to cut through with the clippers, but it's easier to see through, so it all kind of evens out in the challenge department.
    One of the other distributors in Europe has decided to go their own way with a different fan that's louder, less reliable, and not custom with the correct wire length and connector. I hope they don't fool people into thinking it's the same as the quiet fan kits because it's nowhere close.

I've had the machine on for about 2hrs in the back of my office now and the reduction in noise level is incredible.

Yes, it's a shame you don't post internationally (like so many!) as i missed out on a UK forum 'group buy' as i didn't own the game at that time. I'd like the Mummy (graduated) and the Fireball brackets still... Got the other 2 already fitted by the previous owner.

#481 1 day ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I've had the machine on for about 2hrs in the back of my office now and the reduction in noise level is incredible.
    Yes, it's a shame you don't post internationally (like so many!) as i missed out on a UK forum 'group buy' as i didn't own the game at that time. I'd like the Mummy (graduated) and the Fireball brackets still... Got the other 2 already fitted by the previous owner.

I do ship internationally through pinmonk.com. I just don't do it through pinside because there's not shipping tables for each country, and postage can vary widely. That said, if Ministry of Pinball carries one of my items, it will probably be cheaper to get it there because of shipping alone. I don't make any money on shipping and it's still crazy expensive to Europe and Aus.

But you can get anything in my store here on pinmonk.com and I'll ship if you can't wait. Sometimes there's a lag of a few days between when something goes up here until I get it on pinmonk.com, like with the TMNT stuff going in now, but for the most part the stores have the same stuff, just one is primarily international and the other is primarily domestic.

#482 1 day ago
    Quoted from vireland:

I do ship internationally through pinmonk.com

Wasn’t aware, will take a look, thanks!

#483 1 day ago

Just installed 5 of these fans, great product. The difference is night and day. This fan should be mandatory on all pinball power supplies.

My only very minor complaint is I had to cut a small relief notch in the new fan housing to give the wire some room (so the power supply lid wouldn't pinch it). Honestly, might have been overkill on my part but just wanted to make sure the wire was safe.

Again, great product, thanks soooo much! Seriously, install these fans, they are super quiet.

#484 1 day ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

Just installed 5 of these fans, great product. The difference is night and day. This fan should be mandatory on all pinball power supplies.
    My only very minor complaint is I had to cut a small relief notch in the new fan housing to give the wire some room (so the power supply lid wouldn't pinch it). Honestly, might have been overkill on my part but just wanted to make sure the wire was safe.
    Again, great product, thanks soooo much! Seriously, install these fans, they are super quiet.

Best $15 bucks mod EVER!!!!

#485 1 day ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

Which fan kit was this? Generally, if clearance is a problem, you can rotate the fan so the wire comes out in a different direction inside the power supply. I left enough wire that it should work with the wire on the left or right.

#486 1 day ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Which fan kit was this? Generally, if clearance is a problem, you can rotate the fan so the wire comes out in a different direction inside the power supply. I left enough wire that it should work with the wire on the left or right.

I purchased the fans through PinballLife. Stern Spike 500W Power Supply Kit. I took a picture of the OLD fan to show how it had a relief cut in it on the backside. The new fan did not (or I just missed it). I might tear back into the power supply to take a look. Anyway, it wasn't a big deal to use a utility knife to make a few cuts and create a relief area for the wire. Again, awesome product. Thanks so much.

20200706_201348 (resized).jpg
    #487 1 day ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

I purchased the fans through PinballLife. Stern Spike 500W Power Supply Kit. I took a picture of the OLD fan to show how it had a relief cut in it on the backside. The new fan did not (or I just missed it). I might tear back into the power supply to take a look. Anyway, it wasn't a big deal to use a utility knife to make a few cuts and create a relief area for the wire. Again, awesome product. Thanks so much.
    [quoted image]

Ah! I see what you're saying now. Basically if you rotated the fan so the wire was coming from the lower right instead of the top it wouldn't interfere with the cover, but even though the circuit board is *right there* where the wire comes out with that orientation, it still works. Also you could rotate the fan so the wire is coming from the top left (which also works). No groove necessary. I'll make that clarification part of the install instructions moving forward, thanks! This kind of real-world feedback is great.

#488 1 day ago

If there is a way to screw something up, I will find it.

#489 1 day ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

If there is a way to screw something up, I will find it.

Like I said, it's good info to add to the install instructions to make that totally clear. There's another you out there somewhere that will appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 26.95
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 199.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    There are 489 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside