(Topic ID: 29699)

Replacing stern side rails with the extended ones....

By Frax

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DocRotCod
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

after_LOTR_siderails.jpg
before_LOTR_siderails2.jpg
#1 11 years ago

We need a "restoration" forum for these types of questions...

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1747

I bought these to put on my Tron that's coming soon... I was wondering how they attach exactly. I see threads about other people removing the old ones which are taped on, but this thing has like nail holes looks like?

I was looking for a NON destructive way to protect that flipper area.....

#2 11 years ago

There is no tape on modern Stern rails, just bolts and screws.
I wish they would include the extra 6 screws you need with the rails but they don't so be sure to order those.

#3 11 years ago

Uh...bit late for that.

So with these extended ones, there's no way to attach them then without putting extra holes in the cabinet since they don't ship with them....

Anyone want to buy a set? I guess these are just meant to cover up existing wear. I'm gonna have to figure out a solution for us people with new games, I guess. Slapping mylar on there or putting screwholes in my cabinet isn't good enough.

#4 11 years ago

If I were to buy a pro of any Stern I would immediately put these rails on there. The will protect the cabinet from button wear. So you have to put a few extra holes, no biggie, the LE games come with them preinstalled.

#5 11 years ago

If you put a slight inward twist to them before installing you can go without the extra screws but I put them in since I won't be going back to the old style rails anyway.
I bought a NIB T3 and swapped out the rails so it would match the other games in the row.
On games I have sold I try to give the old style rails to the new owner but they never want them so I have about 6 sets.
If you do go back to the old style you will have a mark where the lolipops were.

#6 11 years ago

You can attatch them with the same screws that the originals had, that's what I did on my LOTR. You will have a few holes without screws in them, but you don't really notice, especially on a dark cabinet.

Here's my before and sfter on the LOTR. The new rails are secure and the empty holes don't really bother me.

before_LOTR_siderails2.jpgbefore_LOTR_siderails2.jpg after_LOTR_siderails.jpgafter_LOTR_siderails.jpg

#7 11 years ago

I don't get it. What is the point of protecting the cabinet from button wear if you've put holes in the cabinet and it has to be forever covered up in that area because otherwise you have three unsightly holes there? I don't think that putting them on is considered a "downgrade" by anyone. Just curious why there isn't an option so you can see the cabinet art AND protect your game.

At least with Tron, it doesn't appear that it covers up anything interesting.

I'll probably hold on to them until I can get them re-powdered with something other than black.

#8 11 years ago

If you pull the flipper buttons and mist the area with flat black and that bit by the corner the new rails look much better when you install them.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So with these extended ones, there's no way to attach them then without putting extra holes in the cabinet since they don't ship with them....

I have a Xmen Wolverine right beside our new Tron Pro and the Wolverine has the same rails as the ones you've ordered for your Tron (just blue on Xmen). You'll be able to put them on no problem as the 4 main mounting screws on the side of the cabinet are the same (so you'll just unscrew the 4 screws on the existing side rail, pop off, install the new one and put the 4 screws back in). You might be able to get away with not having to install the additional 3 screws around the flipper button, I unscrewed the 3 from one side of our Xmen and it still sits flush against the side of the cabinet. Didn't try to play a game with the screws out, maybe it would end up rattling, not sure.

So don't worry if you don't have those 3 small additional screws (so 6 in total) when you get your new siderails, you'll still be able to install them and then at a future date you can add the additional screws.

#10 11 years ago

Assuming your not going to drill into your new cab...
If you are disrguard the felt recommondation.
Real easy.
1. Take off old rails and take out flipper buttons.
2. Before installing the new rails check to make sure the upper anchor screw fits as it should - if not you can use a slightly larger drill bit to sink it as it should be.
*3.Put a small amount flet on the back of the new rails near the lower edge of the arch so the new art will not be damaged.
4.Put on the new rails using the old rail holes (small screws and upper anchor).
5.The lowest cab anchore hole will have to be chased with a drill bit to line up (trust me on this one).
6. reinstall your flipper buttons.

Terrys rails are great have installed 5 sets getting ready for #6 install.
I agree on the down grade of drilling holes on a new cab hence the felt recommondation.

#11 11 years ago

I have installed several sets and never used the 3 screws that need to be drilled into the cabinet. The bolts that hold the rails on work just fine for me. Last one I put on was on T3 ( now at my nephews, he has the pin bug!)No issues at all. Got mine from pinball life.

#12 11 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Thats why I love Pinside and have largely stopped postib other places. Always good to have a bigger data set to choose from.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I don't get it. What is the point of protecting the cabinet from button wear if you've put holes in the cabinet and it has to be forever covered up in that area because otherwise you have three unsightly holes there? I don't think that putting them on is considered a "downgrade" by anyone. Just curious why there isn't an option so you can see the cabinet art AND protect your game.
At least with Tron, it doesn't appear that it covers up anything interesting.
I'll probably hold on to them until I can get them re-powdered with something other than black.

From my point of view the bigger "lollypop" rails should have been on from the factory, that is yet another way Stern was cutting costs, along with the playfield pegs and that wacky lockdown bar receiver.

Look at Spiderman, was a "Pro" and it has those rails from the factory.

That being said the screws do not bother me since I would never be taking them off. If you are worried about the holes I would just install mylar protectors around the flipper buttons versus putting the rail on without the screws. Without the screws you are just asking for a player who is a bit rough on the game to slap the sides of the cabinet and cause more damage. A friend I play with regularly is one of those guys

8 months later
#14 10 years ago

Does anyone know if these rails fit on Sega games?

1 year later
#15 9 years ago

Pinball Life at pinballlife.com carries lollipop side rails for Stern pinballs that do not require additional screws around the portion that covers the button area. The screws only attach along the top length of the rail.

Cheers,
Jopper

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Jopper:

Pinball Life at pinballlife.com carries lollipop side rails for Stern pinballs that do not require additional screws around the portion that covers the button area. The screws only attach along the top length of the rail.
Cheers,
Jopper

Yup, I have candy red powdered on my Mustang and they look so much better then the ones with the screw holes by the flipper buttons. Looks sooooo much cleaner.

#18 9 years ago

Anyone else have hell getting those screws in/out of the rails near the bottom above the flipper button?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-side-rails-with-the-extended-ones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.