By vid1900

2 years ago

Stats

• 38 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by DropTarget
  • Topic is favorited by 104 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

large.JPG
    standup (resized).jpg
    Steve-Young.jpg
    7-rivet-washers.jpg
    transfer-punch.jpg
    10.jpg
    9.jpg
    8.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    gtb-a9374t.jpg
    1.jpg

#1 2 years ago

At some point in your pin-owning lifetime, you are going to need to repair a cracked Stand-up Target face, or replace a bunch of them as part of a restoration.

If you do restorations for a living, you will certainly invest in a dedicated Rivet Press. A press saves time, and there is no truer saying than "time is money" when restoring pins.

But if you are doing a repair on route, or just the occasional restoration, I'm going to show you how to make perfect riveted switch faces.

1.jpg

#2 2 years ago

So first, you are going to need some new target faces.

Pinball Resource has 100s of them available, most for around $1 after your 10% discount.

Each target includes a new rivet for mounting.

http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#wmsu

gtb-a9374t.jpg

#3 2 years ago

Beginners who completely disassemble a bunch of switches will loose some of the little spacers, or put them back together wrong or in someway screw things up.

So rule #1 is: DON'T TAKE SWITCHES APART UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO.

The easy solution is to just remove one screw, and slightly loosen the second. There is no way to lose any parts or mess up the leaf order if you leave one screw in place.

-

Sometimes you will find switches that have rivets holding the entire structure together, rather than screws.

Drill these rivets out and replace them with 5-40 size screws and lock nuts. Using screws will make them easy to service in the future.

2.jpg

#4 2 years ago

The old rivet needs to be drilled out.

Than means you need a SHARP, NEW 3/16" drill bit - an old one from the bottom of your tool box is not going to cut it.

Sharp drill bits make chips, dull ones make dust - memorize this.

Because the rivet metal is very soft, the bit tends to lodge into the rivet and spin it in place.

By drilling against a face-up piece of coarse sandpaper, we keep the rivet head from spinning.

Don't press too hard, set your drill on it's fastest speed, and make some chips.

3.jpg

#5 2 years ago

One second of drilling and the back of the rivet head is gone.

Don't drill all the way through the rivet, or enlarge the hole in the Backing Washer; all you want to do is remove the back of the rivet head.

Save the Backing Washer. If you lose one of them, you can buy 1/8" backing washers in the Pop Rivet isle at the local hardware store.

Q: The Rivet was already loose and just spins, sandpaper or not !

A: Take a couple of passes with a coarse file and the back of the rivet will be gone. If you don't own a file, you can re-cinch the rivet with a punch or hammer and drill it again.

-

Q: The back of the Rivet head is completely gone, but the Rivet shaft is still stuck in the hole.

A: Place the Rivet over a hole in your workbench and tap the rivet shaft out with an 1/8" punch.

4.jpg

#6 2 years ago

5.jpg
    #7 2 years ago

Now it is time to cinch the new rivet.

Here you can ideally use a rivet die, or just a regular Transfer Punch.

You can't set a rivet on a wood workbench, you need something metal, like an anvil or the "anvil" on the back of a vise, to hammer against.

Two taps is all it takes, the rivet is very soft metal.

If the target won't spin, you are tight enough (if you leave the target loose, it will wear the hole in the switch leaf, ruining it).

Q: Can't I just use a Pop Rivet Gun?

A: No. Although Pop Rivet Guns are great for pinball plastics (Pop metal is softer than regular rivet metal, so less wear on the ball); on targets, they leave a ball of material on the back of the rivet, interfering with the backing foam.

-

Q: I cinched the rivet down, but there is one little piece of metal standing proud.

A: Just flatten it gently with the hammer.

6.jpg

Q: What is a Transfer Punch?

A: A Transfer Punch fits snugly in a hole, so when you tap it with a hammer, it transfers the exact center of the hole to another surface. Because the tips of the punches are hardened, they work great as an impromptu rivet die.

A complete set of Transfer Punches is $10 at Harbor Freight.

transfer-punch.jpg

#8 2 years ago

Note that the alignment pins are on both sides of the switch leaf.

7.jpg

#9 2 years ago

If your switch is old enough to need a new face, it probably needs a good cleaning.

NEVER use a file or sandpaper on low voltage switches!!!!! If you do, they are now ruined.

Pull a crisp $100 bill through the contacts until they are clean, or use a Contact Burnisher made for cleaning relays.

8.jpg

#10 2 years ago

Any switch old enough to need a new face probably needs new backing foam. If the switch is really old, the foam might be gone altogether.

The foam makes the switch contacts last longer, and it keeps the backing bracket from bending backwards. Unbent brackets means less airballs.

Bally taught us techs to add the foam to any direct line of fire targets - even to ancient games that never had foam originally.

Don't buy little pieces of foam for .90 cents, get a whole roll of 1/4" weatherstripping foam for $2.

It's easier to set your switch gap on the bench, than when it's installed in the machine.

Set the gap so the switch contacts touch, just as the target is entering the foam.

9.jpg

#11 2 years ago

If the switch if from an old Bally, and the capacitor is original - ALWAYS REPLACE IT.

Those old Bally caps are total crap and will often give false switch closures.

100 caps for .90 cents:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/ceramic-disc-capacitors/10-x-0-047uf-50v-ceramic-disc-capacitor-pkg-of-10.html

10.jpg

#12 2 years ago

Wow, that was easy! I was under the impression that I needed to invest in a press. Now I can order some faces and move forward with Firepower! Thanx Vid!

#13 2 years ago

Thanks for yet another great contribution Vid

#15 2 years ago

These are the backing washers for rivets.

You ALWAYS need to use these if you ever pop rivet (also called Blind Rivet) plastics or thin metals.

7-rivet-washers.jpg
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

These are the backing washers for rivets.
    You ALWAYS need to use these if you ever pop rivet (also called Blind Rivet) plastics or thin metals.

7-rivet-washers.jpg

Are those the same to use for ramp flaps?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Are those the same to use for ramp flaps?

Yes, you don't want a pop rivet expanding and cracking the plastic on the ramp.

2 weeks later
    #18 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Any switch old enough to need a new face probably needs new backing foam. If the switch is really old, the foam might be gone altogether.
    Don't buy little pieces of foam for .90 cents, get a whole roll of 1/4" weatherstripping foam for $2.
    It's easier to set your switch gap on the bench, than when it's installed in the machine.
    Set the gap so the switch contacts touch, just as the target is entering the foam.
    9.jpg

So all of my Firepower stand up targets should have a piece of backing foam on them? I realize these machines are 35 years old and the original pieces may have disintegrated. Might as well check for damaged faces. Time to do some work!

Thanks Vid!

#19 2 years ago

Put some foam in there.

The target faces and contacts will last longer.

4 weeks later
    #20 2 years ago

I just picked up a bunch of target faces at a show but they didn't have any rivets. Is this something that can be purchased at a local hardware store?

#21 2 years ago

You won't find them at Home Depot, but a **real** hardware store sometimes will have them.

You can get them online from PBR or McMaster

#22 2 years ago

Thanks Vid for another great tutorial!

#23 2 years ago

Awesome tutorial, Vid - thank you!

#24 2 years ago

Excellent guide vid! Do you know if any sells the square targets? (Used on goldeneye)

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

http://pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#de

I saw those. Was thinking about only the plastic piece. Like you do in your case?

#27 2 years ago

PBR probably has the faces you want, you just better have the correct part #s before you call Steve.

Steve-Young.jpg

2 years later
    #28 58 days ago

what are the typical length rivets used to attach target faces?

2 weeks later
    #29 38 days ago

Probably a stupid question and not quite on-topic with the thread, but this seemed like an OK place to ask. I bought this standup target assembly from Marco:
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5930-06

I am now trying to figure out how to put it together, most of which I can work out by looking at the target I'm replacing. But where do the tiny lock-washers (circled in red) go?

Also, would you recommend adding padding of some kind to these targets (they didn't have padding originally)? And if so, what type of material/thickness is recommended?

standup (resized).jpg

#30 38 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I am now trying to figure out how to put it together, most of which I can work out by looking at the target I'm replacing. But where do the tiny lock-washers (circled in red) go?

Looking at the assembled picture on marco, there's 1 under each of the bolt heads, and I assume 1 under each other the nuts on the back:
    large.JPG

#31 37 days ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

Looking at the assembled picture on marco, there's 1 under each of the bolt heads, and I assume 1 under each other the nuts on the back:

Can’t believe I missed that. Thank you!

4 weeks later
    #32 10 days ago

Whoa! this is a great guide

Vid is my freaking hero for guiding me through all my repairs

EDIT:

Does PBR sell the new rivets needed? I didn't see them on their site, but they have tons of parts not listed.

#33 10 days ago

PBR does sell them, I ordered a bunch extra when i ordered the faces (the faces come with them).

#34 10 days ago

Thanks Vid,
    I'm about to replace my first target face. This was exceptionally well described.

#35 9 days ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

PBR does sell them, I ordered a bunch extra when i ordered the faces (the faces come with them).

Thanks for the confirmation!

#36 8 days ago

PBR got me the rivet info!

p/n
    GTB-FA551A
    1/8 X 7/32 -Nickel Plated (Steel) -Used for Target Faces & Most Ramp Flaps

Under tools
    http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

1 week later
    #37 22 hours ago

I just received my PBR order. Some of the targets have imperfections, I'll call Steve for replacements.

Here's my question. I bought solid color targets: red, purple,yellow and orange. Aside from the colors being off from the originals (I get that), the new targets have a flat matt finish while the old ones are glossy. Should the new ones be polished? If so with what? Should they be sprayed with glossy clear? Other options?

#38 22 hours ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Should the new ones be polished?

Only if you are really anal.

Quoted from DropTarget:

If so with what?

Novus2 usually works.

Buff before you install.

#39 22 hours ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Only if you are really anal.

Novus2 usually works.
    Buff before you install.

I'm really anal! Well, not really, but anal enough.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Displays
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 239.99

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside