(Topic ID: 134706)

replacing solenoid link with copper link. any reason not to?

By onamission

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by onamission
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0197.jpg
    20150802_010142.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I just saw my slingshot not kicking. Flip her over see broken link. So 16awg copper and 15 min later I have a new one.... but wondering if there is any reason not to use?

20150802_010142.jpg20150802_010142.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Is there a weight difference?

Heavier would probably mean a bit slower or less powerful.

#3 8 years ago

weight would be dif but not much... so there will be some drop in force but i am going to guess it will be negligible.

#4 8 years ago

Wouldn't a malleable metal like copper be a problem in a system like this?

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

Wouldn't a malleable metal like copper be a problem in a system like this?

I dont know. would it? It may wear, but it will also work harden. may stretch a bit over time but is very thick and again will harden. I dont know if it is a perm solution, but I am willing to give it a go.

are there links made of other materials out there? plastics etc? the Bakelite seems like a cheap holdover. considering the minimal friction besides the holes, i cant see more that some flashing erosion. could put in some plastic bushings but they will surely crack.

#6 8 years ago

Cost. Isn't copper going for a little less than gold now?

#7 8 years ago

the copper will probably elongate the hole and become loose causing the slingshot to gradually get weaker and weaker and the kicker to start flopping around. the original links are hard enough to not elongate and if it's so old it breaks they are very cheap to replace. I'd only use the copper for a temporary fix if you need to play the game right away and can't wait the couple days for a replacement to come in.

At the price of a new one why hack in a homemade.

#8 8 years ago

The copper will work.

I've seen all sorts of hacked, steel, nylon, delrin parts put into games.

-

I'd check the joint of the slingshot bracket itself and see how much play is in it. Usually when the link breaks, there is a ton of slop in the joint.

Buy some real links next time you order parts (and probably 2 new slingshot brackets too).

#9 8 years ago

Will likely wear quickly and you may find Cu dust (which will be conductive) all over the place in no time.

Will it work sure. Would I use hell no.

Buy the correct part. Or at the very least make out of delrin.

#10 8 years ago

I'd call pbresource...you probably need a bunch of other stuff anyway

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. I was going to use acrylic, just dont know the sheering strength of the bakelite to compare. Delrin seems like it might stretch. Copper might not be the best solution, but considering the volumes of scrap available, plastics etc, I just dont see why there cant be a simple DIY solution for parts like this. Not to say all parts can be easily tooled, but sometimes it is satisfying to repair yourself.... and marco and steve are not going to be around forever.

#12 8 years ago

I bet you could cut one out of an old flipper link. It would be the same material. Then nobody would be hatin' on you.

#13 8 years ago

PBR sells strips of the link material if you ever want to cut your own.

#14 8 years ago

If i had an old flipper link... I was just trying to think of way and materials that would be available around the house that are suitable replacements. types of plastics. laminating fabric to credit cards with epoxy.... i know it sounds ghetto, but half the fun is figuring out how to repair these machines... maybe I just watched too much MacGyver as a kid.

#15 8 years ago

Here's an old Williams drop target. Note the genuine original shiny brass plunger link.

IMG_0197.jpgIMG_0197.jpg

parts is parts.

#16 8 years ago

That is awesome! I had no idea the part you were referencing was brass. Thanks for the image! Im sure metal has issues but would guess that it was a cost choice to not use later?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-solenoid-link-with-copper-link-any-reason-not-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.