11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cleared2.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So I bought my first pin, an F14, a couple of months ago. So i have a lot to learn here. Already put in new lock, reprogrammed a sound rom.

The playfield is pretty good, except a number of the insert decals are completely shredded in the middle playfield. Looks like a previous owner removed a large piece of Mylar that's supposed to cover the middle, and the last owner didn't clean or wax it... F14 moves so fast the decals are almost completely worn off on the runways to Yagov and landing and the kill inserts.

Most of the removal tips i see are for largish sections of Mylar... How do I remove the old decals and prepare my inserts for new decals?

#2 11 years ago

I just got done clear coating three F-14s, so I've got them on the brain.

99.9% of F-14 playfields are messed up, so don't feel bad.

First, those are not decals (unless someone put decals on your machine). The inserts are silk screened with the graphics at the same time as the rest of the playfield at the factory.

If the inserts are popped in every direction on the playfield, you can heat them up with a hair dryer and push them out. Then it is easy to sand off the ink.

If the inserts are solidly flush with the playfield, then I hate to even tell you how to remove the ink, because if you don't really read and understand the directions, you can make some big mistakes.

Let's see some pictures before you start...

cleared2.jpgcleared2.jpg

1 month later
#3 11 years ago

An update: I wound up meeting Captain Neo (http://www.pinballplayfieldrestoration.com/), who showed me what he does with shredded decals. Instead of removing them from the playfield (apparently they can shatter on System 11 playfields), he uses a scraper and scrapes off what's left of the lettering, and then applies new insert decals to the inserts.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if you need to 'prep' the insert plastic for the decal. Any ideas?

#4 11 years ago

The inserts should be smooth so the decals can stick to them and not show air gaps.

It would be pretty hard to shatter F14 inserts - they WANT to come out, LOL.

Seriously, sometimes I blow off the playfield with the air gun and F14 inserts just fall out. One of the worst glue jobs and playfield clear coats ever...

#5 11 years ago

Hmm... sounds like your experience is pretty different from Neo's.

Anyway... they need to be smooth...maybe running some Novus 3 over it? I've looked online and some people use this rubbing compound of some sort...

BTW: the inserts are, by and large, flush with the playfield. Maybe a mm or less above it. Removing them is probably not a good idea?

Post edited by Shpwizard : Added additional info about inserts being flush

#6 11 years ago

I just knocked out all the inserts in my F-14 last weekend. Everything but 2 1.5" arrow inserts came out great. I really didn't treat the two that broke any differently. I think the heat from the bulbs make some of them a bit brittle. They both broke on the narrow part, right in half, width wise.

So, be careful. Vid is right though. Those inserts practically fell out.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Shpwizard:

Hmm... sounds like your experience is pretty different from Neo's.

I've restored maybe 20 F14s, have another 3 on the way and 2 in the shop right now - I could probably make a friggin career out of them because they are always so trashed.

You don't have to hammer out the inserts. Heat them top and bottom. Using a deep well socket (from a socket wrench set - yes, sometimes you will need a metric size) of the largest size that will fit into the insert hole, gently press them up and out. If you get any resistance, stop and heat again.

You should be pressing on the edges, not the center where the plastic has been sanded thin.

8 years later
#8 3 years ago

Where can I buy all the plastic inserts of the F14? Any direction is very much appreciated ☺️

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-shredded-decals-on-an-f14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.