Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I am new to pins and my Addams family needs a little TLC. It’s going to need new rubbers and in looking at the playfield seems there are a lot of tricky spots, almost to the point were I will have to remove entire ramps.

My question is - what is the best way to go about this? Specifically when there is switch wiring attached to the ramp that needs to move to get the rubber installed.

Do I just go slowly lifting pieces one at a time taking extreme care at the solder points of the switch? Or is there another approach I am missing? My fear is moving these ramps (specifically the metal rail return ramp) without messing with the switch connectivity.

Any advice is appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

First. Take a billion pictures. Then after that take a billion more. All angles and after each piece that you remove.

A lot of times when there are ramps with switches and wires connected to them, there is a connector underneath the playfield that you can disconnect to allow you to take the ramp off without using a soldering iron.

Follow the colors of the wires back until you find the connector.

After this, take more pictures. Haha.

I like to use ziplock bags for parts too. Put sections of the game into bags or boxes so you know where the stuff goes generally, then use the pictures you took to fill in the cracks.

Then after all this, learn to use a soldering iron. It’s nice to know that as well when doing something like this.

#3 2 years ago

chuckwurt covered it. I'd say also have a bunch of spare bulbs on hand. There's bound to be some GI / lamps burned out in the machine, may as well check and replace any of those while you already have the plastics and ramps off.

Not sure how much you'll have to actually remove from TAF for your task. When I have to take a lot off a playfield, I find it helpful to lay it all out on another table with the same relative positions, and also to take detailed notes on the steps taken, so you can reverse them later on. It's annoying when you get 90% of stuff back on top, and then find you forgot one little thing and have to take it all off again because of the order everything is installed.

And yeah, a billionty pictures.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from biscoseattle:

almost to the point were I will have to remove entire ramps.

Well that just sucks.

Under the playfield you'll see connectors and wires going up to the top side. Unplug those.

Once you have plastics and ramps off. Now you can do a good cleaning, polishing, replacing burned out bulbs and rubber rings.

No real short cuts. May as well do a good job.

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago

Replacing the rubbers is the best way to get to know your machine. Great sense of accomplishment afterward, and you will be willing to troubleshoot other problems in the future.

#6 2 years ago

As long as you are knee deep in this. May as well rebuild the flippers too. Your game will be like new when you play it.

LTG : )

#7 2 years ago

when you take out a screw/bolt/post, take a picture of the part next to the hole

I'd also do this for any connectors you have to remove under the playfield

if you have doubts when putting your game back together, then make another post on pinside

#8 2 years ago

Thanks all! Now understanding that it’s such a process it makes me want to do an all LED upgrade at the same time. But maybe that’s not in the budget yet.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from biscoseattle:

But maybe that’s not in the budget yet.

The best thing about LEDs is replacing those impossible to get at lights...if your going to shop your game and remove all item on your play field I would defintately do it while your games apart!

#10 2 years ago

While I certainly don't want to talk you out of buying LEDs, with a game like Addams Family you can get at all the GI bulbs from underneath. It took me a few games early on before I realized this: get a magnetic quarter-inch hex driver and you can pull out sockets from underneath, replace the bulb, and put the socket back in. That is much easier than removing plastics and ramps all over the playfield. (Although the TAF playfield pivots upwards but doesn't slide out, which means it's still hard to reach the GI sockets in the back.)

That said, if you're removing ramps already, it would definitely save you time. For most games, you don't have to remove/disconnect switches to ramps, just remove the screws that hold them and you can shift/lift the ramp enough to replace otherwise difficult rubbers. The rubbers to the left of the pops in TAF are a real pain.

That said, when it's time for LEDs, reach out. I just overhauled my machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
8,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside