• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mouse (resized).jpg
Gottlieb Dead Bumper Rubber Replacement Pinball (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

Is there any easier way (short of removing the entire bumper) to replace the rings on these assemblies?

Gottlieb Dead Bumper Rubber Replacement Pinball (resized).pngGottlieb Dead Bumper Rubber Replacement Pinball (resized).png

#2 5 years ago

I have not removed them, just went slow and started the ring partially. Then kind of roll it onto the body. Remembet go slowly.

#3 5 years ago

I stand corrected, I did not look closely at your picture. I thought they were the older smaller bodies.

#4 5 years ago

It might be considered sacrilege, but if you have rings to spare, I would consider trying cutting a new ring, cut the old one off, then with wax paper between the new ring and bumper body, super glue the ends of the new ring together on the side away from where the ball will hit. Taking care of course to also put paper or cloth below the glue area to catch any spills. I have had good luck with both little pin repairs and RC airplanes with the Dollar Tree super glue gel. It takes longer to set, but doesn't run like the liquid.

#5 5 years ago

Two screws, two wires. It will take longer to ask and check than to just do it once every 5 years.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Two screws, two wires. It will take longer to ask and check than to just do it once every 5 years.

What he said. Hacks take longer then doing it the right way

#7 5 years ago

BTW, Ship Ahoy was my holy grail at one point in my life. I still have one.
and what's up with your spinner?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

what's up with your spinner?

Shark!!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

what's up with your spinner?

Wanted for questioning:
mouse (resized).jpgmouse (resized).jpg

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

What he said. Hacks take longer then doing it the right way

I generally agree, just thought would offer a way to get it done if he really didn’t want to remove the pops.

#11 5 years ago

Its only 10 minutes work and you'd being doing it as nature intended

1 year later
#12 4 years ago

I cut the old rubbers off. I stretched the new one pretty large between my hands as I slid it under the side of the cap near the wood walls, and then I brought it over the opposite side of the cap and let it snap on. Was really easy, and I didn't have to take any parts off except star tops.

1 month later
#13 4 years ago

While cleaning my Buccaneer playfield last night I finally determined the source of all the white dust that’s plagued me over the years. Old rubber rings on the dead bumpers! I had no idea that they had rubber rings but quickly remembered the two rings I had leftover from the kit I installed years ago.

Anyways, came across this thread after trying to figure out how to replace them. What an engineering FAIL! Having to desolder them from the playfield almost guaranteed that they would not get replaced on a regular basis. They could have easily made a two piece bumper design that could be disassembled on the topside.

In any case, I followed the recommendations above to do it right and in less than an hour I was back in business. Would definitely not recommend trying to split the ring or stretch it over the top.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-rubber-rings-on-gottlieb-stationarydead-bumper-assemblies?hl=gotemwill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.