(Topic ID: 5762)

Replacing power cord (cause I got zapped a bit)

By Blackbeard

8 years ago

Topic Stats

  • 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mystic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders


Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

    #1 8 years ago

    Yesterday, as I was adjusting the front legs with the coin door open, I felt a very light current. It seemed to only occur as my body was touching both the leg and the coin door. I do have my grounding strap attached, but my power cord only has 2 prongs.. someone hacked off the 3rd prong.

    I checked continuity with my mm and it beeped. (checks the legs etc). My thoughts are that this is happening bc of my power cord lack of 3rd prong. Thoughts? If you agree, is it easy to replace? I've found replacements online, but are they hard to replace?

    #2 8 years ago

    Every PIN, should be grounded.
    You should replace the plug with a 3pin one. easy to do.

    Problem is, when you do this, I bet, you will have problems, thus the reason someone cut the ground pin off.
    Start looking at the wiring loom for cable damage, etc.

    Which Pin are you talking about??

    Let us know what happens.


    #3 8 years ago

    If there's no third prong on the power cord then the grounding strap is useless because it's not going to ground..

    Quite easy to replace and you can just buy a 10' extension cord from Home Depot or Lowe's and hack off one end and strip it back..

    #4 8 years ago

    Its gorgar. I don't know why the last prong was cut either. The shock seemed to only have been felt when I was touching the leg and my arms was against the open door.

    #5 8 years ago

    Just have to desolder the three wires coming in and replace them (black/white/green). Take you 5 minutes.

    #6 8 years ago

    If the cord itself is in good shape, can't you just put a new grounded plug on the end?

    #7 8 years ago

    Mystic: Do you think this is why I am feeling a little jolt?

    #8 8 years ago

    Heck, half of my house isn't grounded.

    I just have to be careful.

    #9 8 years ago

    Well I have been unplugging the machine after use. Put I'd like to correct this.

    Why would one cut the third prong off? Hopefully just because they didn't have a 3 prong outlet.. and not some other hidden issue I don't know about.

    By adding the 3 pronger, you think this will fix the zapping issue? This will be my first soldering attempt.

    #10 8 years ago

    Remember folks- a Circuit breaker saves equipment a GFI saves lives

    #11 8 years ago

    I had the same type of cord upgrade on my bad wizard when I got it. Fortunately someone simply cut the original cord near the end and spliced in a short section of two prong cord. I bought a new 10ft cord, but have simply spliced it into the end of the original for now. Replacing it right (in both our cases) will require desoldering the old cord from the transformer, and then routing and soldering the new cord to the transformer.

    #12 8 years ago

    So basically all i'm doing is desoldering the old cord (which has three wires) and soldering on the new one (again, with three wires)?

    #13 8 years ago

    Yep. That simple.

    #14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

    So basically all i'm doing is desoldering the old cord (which has three wires) and soldering on the new one (again, with three wires)?

    You can either cut off the cord plug and buy a replacement plug, or re-wire a new cord into the electrical box in the machine. There should be no soldering, only wire twist connectors.

    You need to make sure the black wire goes to the hot ( or gold for new plug head), and white wire to the neutral (silver in new plug head), and bare or green ground wire to the proper ground location.

    The first thing I do with a new machine is ensure if the ground is cut, I replace the cord/plug, and then buzz out the ground to the grounding straps and boards in the game. VERY important.

    Ops often cut off grounds as many locations and powerbars were old and were not conducive to proper 3 prong plugs.

    #15 8 years ago

    I"ll check my machine and see how the cord is wired in.. If it is twist connectors, even better as I've never soldered before.

    #16 8 years ago

    Coin door eh ? .. that's a standard theft deterrent feature I had an old refrigerator once that was working but the compressor had somehow made the casing electrically hot including the fridge door. I called it the supreme dieters fridge... you really had to want something out of it .. hehe

    Seriously though you might also want to check your outlet and make sure it's wired correctly. Often people think black is neutral and white is hot .. but like HDC said it's the opposite.

    #17 8 years ago

    you could just put duct tape or super glue on it too.. but those would be just as permanent as a wirenut...

    #18 8 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

    you could just put duct tape or super glue on it too.. but those would be just as permanent as a wirenut...

    There's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.

    #19 8 years ago

    Project #1. Get some solder and some paperclips. Make a cube.
    Project #2. Buy a learn to solder PCB board off Amazon for $10. One of those boards that makes an ambulance noise or something.

    You gotta learn sometime. Project #1 Homework is due by Friday.

    #20 8 years ago

    I have three pins and two of them had the ground cut. I had them in the garage when I picked them up and did my once over before I took them upstairs. Played fine as long as I had shoes on. My girl came out to play with out shoes (bare floor) and she got "bit". Went to the depot and got plug ends for 3 to 4 bucks each fixed the problem and GAME ON. It is a easy to do project.

    Quoted from mystic:

    You gotta learn sometime. Project #1 Homework is due by Friday

    Is right. Don't be scared of it. I have learned in the past few months. It is not as bad as you think. Just watch for the drips and take your time.

    My 2 cents

    BYW mystic nice work on the shuttle

    #21 8 years ago

    almost done.. waiting on the board to come back wed or thursday.. patience.. patience..

    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    From: $ 38.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    From: $ 42.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 199.99
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    From: $ 9.99
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    From: $ 99.99
    $ 13.00
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

    Hey there! Got a moment?

    Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside