Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Rensh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DC buck converter discription (resized).JPG
DC buck converter (resized).JPG

#1 16 days ago

The Stern Whitestar based pinballs uses the 520-5052-00 high voltage plasma DMD.
It is still working fine, but one day it will break.
I have two spare Led DMD 520-5052-15.

Normally, it should be possible to replace this plasma DMD with a Led 520-5052-15, at the condition to provide 5 Volts to the display instead of the high voltages.

My question: is the existing 5 Volt available in the pinball strong enough to do this ? Or, did somebody tried this ?

#2 16 days ago

Doesn't ColorDMD use a 5v tap to power their replacement displays?

#3 16 days ago

No, They make the needed 5 Volt internally on the display, from the 12 volt, so they don't put any additional load on the native pinball 5 volt.

#4 16 days ago

The ColorDMD Cable Kit for SAM/WhiteStar is tapped off the 3 pin (5v/12v) power connector on the right side just inside the coin door.
http://shop.colordmd.com/cable-kit-for-sam-whitestar/

#5 16 days ago

Sorry, I just remembered having to tap into a different power source when I installed displays in the past. The wire went to the harness in the front of the cab. Didn't pay attention to the voltages.

#6 16 days ago

Yes, the color DMD is connected to the front side of the cabinet on an connector delivering 5V/12V.
But i don't know which voltage color dmd is using 5v ? or 12V ? or the two ?

#7 16 days ago
Quoted from Jeanclaudev:

Yes, the color DMD is connected to the front side of the cabinet on an connector delivering 5V/12V.
But i don't know which voltage color dmd is using 5v ? or 12V ? or the two ?

Did you contact color dmd. They are good about getting back with customer questions. Think Randy is the guy who helped me out a few times.

#8 16 days ago

Well, i just sent a mail to color dmd. Will let you know

#9 16 days ago

You can use a voltmeter to determine where the 5v and ground pins are on that 3 pin connector near the coin door. If your meter shows -5v, then you would have the meter leads swapped.

#10 15 days ago

I got the reply: The ColorDMD needs 12V to operate.
So, we still don't know if the original pinball 5V will be strong enough to support the 520-5052-15 stern led 5 volt display.
Nobody did it ?

#11 15 days ago

5v is enough to run a replacement led dmd. It says so in the description.

Let me put it this way, if you put 12v into a 5v non colordmd display it will probably melt it! At least a normal Stern display will instantly blow up with 12v.

#12 15 days ago

Hello "the law," thank you for your reply, but I have no intention to put 12 volt on a 5 volt display, ... of course..
The question is about Current (Amperes) and not only Volt..
Let me explain it :
1. in the standard whitestar based pinball, the original plasma display is powered via an additional circuit and an additional output of the transformer.
2. So, the +5 volt is not used for the display (no additional current needed from the 5 volt)
3. This means that the current (A) needed to power the display does not come from the 5 volt
4. Color DMD understood that, and decided to use the unregulated 12Volt to provide power to his new DMD, (probably via a regulated 5 Volt on there board) so that they do not change the current requested to the pinball 5 volt), and this is a good design, because they do not change anything in the original design.
5. If i put a Led Stern display, only working in 5 Volt, I will consume more current on the 5 volt pinball power.
My question is : is there enough spare power on the original pinball 5 volt to support this display ?

In a SAM based pinball the reply is yes.
In a whitestar based pinball, i don't know and would like to know if somebody did it ?

#13 15 days ago

Try it and find out. If the game resets, adjust the 5v on the driver board to 5.2v, but don't exceed 5.25v (highest voltage of the 74x logic parts can handle).

#14 15 days ago

I'm not sure if the existing 5V in older games can handle the LED, but for later SAM games Stern added a second dedicated 5V bridge to power the LED display.

1 week later
#15 5 days ago

I am going to put a Stern LED DMD in my Demo Man. I have read a number of posts that the WPC 5 volt power source is barely adequate to keep the game booted (my power driver board has been completely recapped and reflowed, so I have no reset issues) and that it is not advisable to add the stress of an additional load required to run the 5 volt display. My plan is to tap into the 12 volt source and convert it to 5.1 volts using a DC buck voltage power converter. See the pics for the description. Will this work or am I headed for trouble?

DC buck converter (resized).JPGDC buck converter discription (resized).JPG
#16 5 days ago

More products like pin2dmd use the same idea of a step down converter so should be Ok.

Have such a solution in combo with a pin2dmd running but added an external 12VDC power supply to be on the very safe side. Very easy to do for just a few bucks. Left to the coindoor there is a free two pin connector which carries 110 or 230 vac if pin is turned on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palmyra, PA
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rhinelander, WI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside