Hello "the law," thank you for your reply, but I have no intention to put 12 volt on a 5 volt display, ... of course..
The question is about Current (Amperes) and not only Volt..
Let me explain it :
1. in the standard whitestar based pinball, the original plasma display is powered via an additional circuit and an additional output of the transformer.
2. So, the +5 volt is not used for the display (no additional current needed from the 5 volt)
3. This means that the current (A) needed to power the display does not come from the 5 volt
4. Color DMD understood that, and decided to use the unregulated 12Volt to provide power to his new DMD, (probably via a regulated 5 Volt on there board) so that they do not change the current requested to the pinball 5 volt), and this is a good design, because they do not change anything in the original design.
5. If i put a Led Stern display, only working in 5 Volt, I will consume more current on the 5 volt pinball power.
My question is : is there enough spare power on the original pinball 5 volt to support this display ?
In a SAM based pinball the reply is yes.
In a whitestar based pinball, i don't know and would like to know if somebody did it ?