• Latest reply 51 days ago by ROBWHENT
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bottomboard_capacitor.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I have a new filter capacitor for my ASM and just want to verify leads first.

The current capacitor has a green/yellow wire and red/white/black wire going to it. There is a red dot on the terminal connecting the red/white/black wire. I believe that the red dot is used to denote the positive terminal but want to verify.

Can anyone confirm; red/white/black wire to positive terminal and green/yellow wire to negative terminal?

Thanks!

- Mike

bottomboard_capacitor.jpg
#2 8 years ago

The green, with yellow stripe goes to the negative of the capacitor. Its marked wire # 54 in your diagram. The wire color chart shows 5=green/4=yellow. The other wire on the cap is #200 and that is Red with two black stripes. 2=Red/0=Black/0=Black. Does it make sence now?

#4 8 years ago

Thanks, I didn't notice the 200 color code off to the right.

- Mike

#5 8 years ago

Gottlieb diagrams are very good and have alot of info.

#6 8 years ago

Ah great! I need to redo my bh and this comes in handy

6 months later
#7 7 years ago

I've got a few 25V 18000 mfd capacitors for bally and stern solenoid boards. Can I use that instead of the 25V 6800mfd?

#8 7 years ago

I didnt know which way to install my replacement cap either, but i hadnt noticed the TINY -/+ on the new cap.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I've got a few 25V 18000 mfd capacitors for bally and stern solenoid boards. Can I use that instead of the 25V 6800mfd?

6800-12000uf is generally recommended. More than that is said to put too much strain on the bridge rectifier.

#10 7 years ago

I just went with the recommended from the System 80 wiki.

"A very nice replacement for this capacitor, specified at 12,000uf, can be found:"

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=67

#11 7 years ago

Thanks for replies.

4 weeks later
#12 7 years ago

if you change both of the orange 6800uf 25v capacitors in a system 80a and put two 10.000 uf 25v is that ok or not

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

if you change both of the orange 6800uf 25v capacitors in a system 80a and put two 10.000 uf 25v is that ok or not

You can also take 1 15000uF/25V snap in style capacitor

#14 7 years ago

so instead of 2 6800uf just put 1 15,000 uf /25v

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

so instead of 2 6800uf just put 1 15,000 uf /25v

Yes, it will do the job

7 years later
#16 8 months ago

Reaching out to the community for verification on a replacement. As long as the rating is correct — 12,000 mfd @ 40 volts, does the body style make a difference with the filtering application?

I have found a snap in “style” capacitor, which is physically smaller but the exact same rating, but much less in price. From what I have researched, these appear to be electrolytic (with polarity), and are used on printed circuit boards (PCB). This is comparison to the physically larger “computer grade” capacitor which is much more expensive. I need to get multiple capacitors, for a Gottlieb System 80A Caveman (2) and El Dorado City of Gold, so I am trying to save a little money. So would this “snap in” style work to replace the dreaded orange filter capacitor ?

Thanks for all your help and assistance. Thoughts?

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

Reaching out to the community for verification on a replacement. As long as the rating is correct — 12,000 mfd @ 40 volts, does the body style make a difference with the filtering application?
I have found a snap in “style” capacitor, which is physically smaller but the exact same rating, but much less in price. From what I have researched, these appear to be electrolytic (with polarity), and are used on printed circuit boards (PCB). This is comparison to the physically larger “computer grade” capacitor which is much more expensive. I need to get multiple capacitors, for a Gottlieb System 80A Caveman (2) and El Dorado City of Gold, so I am trying to save a little money. So would this “snap in” style work to replace the dreaded orange filter capacitor ?
Thanks for all your help and assistance. Thoughts?

It makes no difference here.

6 months later
#19 51 days ago

Rebooting this thread - I replaced the Orange Cap with a 10Kuf 35V and replaced the bridge rectifier. When I measure the DC voltage across the cap it is 13.5 VDC but when I read the AC voltage across the new cap it reads +29VAC.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 0.89
Lighting
PinballReplacementParts
Lighting
$ 899.00
Playfields
Pixels Arcade Games
Playfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!