(Topic ID: 84402)

Replacing obsolete Bally/Stern HV TO-66 transistor with more available TO-220

By barakandl

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160202_165721_(resized).jpg
    20140317_224350.jpg
    20140317_215422.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

These obsolete TO-66 package transistors like the 2n3584 in a Bally / Stern high voltage section are becoming harder to find and when you do they are pretty expensive. Here is how you can mount a TO-220 package transistor with minimal modification.

I am using a Russian made KT859A NPN transistor in a TO-220 package. Rated 3amp, 800v, Hfe>10. I found them for around a $1 each. BUX84 is another good part number. If you cut the middle leg of the transistor you can use the metal tab as the collector and mount it just like the TO-66 transistor. I have seen some transistor have an insulated tab which makes mounting more difficult, so check specifications.

20140317_224350.jpg20140317_224350.jpg
    20140317_215422.jpg20140317_215422.jpg

Heat in this setup is very minimal. Hardly gets warm to the touch after hours being turned on. As you can see from the back side, no tricks in mounting it.

Fun fact about these driver boards. If R51 is burned, you can assume all three HV transistors are bad.

#2 10 years ago

Thanks - great information.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for coming up with ways to keep these old machines going.

Probably a dumb question - but if the kt859a don't get that hot why not eliminate the heat sink. Or use a heat sink for the TO-220?

Bob

#4 10 years ago

Well, with out the heat sink it may get too hot. I probably could have used a different heat sink but I wanted to keep it looking factory as possible. Sometimes doing mods like this borderline on what people would consider a hack.

#5 10 years ago

A monster heat sink like that may make that part last literally forever.

#6 10 years ago

Modern and still made replacement for the TO-220 transistor would be a BUX85 at less than a buck apiece.

I don't follow the 'running cooler' line, though.
    Regardless of transistor type - this circuit is still dissipating the same amount of power. This power is dissipated as heat.
    If incoming voltage is 230VDC, if adjusted voltage is 150VDC then this circuit is dropping 80 volts. If the current is 100mA (randomly high but believable value) then the power dissipated is 8 watts. This power dissipation is the same regardless if 2N3584 or BUX84 or any other type transistor. Since you have not changed the heat sink then the overall temperature should be nearly identical to that of a 2N3584. The BUX84 has slightly better Junction-to-case thermal resistance than the 2N3584 (probably comparable to one used above). But the 2N3584 has better case-to-sink thermal resistance (typical of metal can transistor). So, the thermal resistance is nearly identical. Unless the heat sink compound was dried out, I do not see any reason for the transistor to be any different in temp. And I see no reason for the heat sink to be at a different temp, either.

Now -- if the transistor being driven has a different gain then it is possible that one of the 2N3440's may be running slightly cooler. But most of their current is determined by biasing resistors.

#7 10 years ago

do you guys learn this from just pinball or from your regular job?

I was in construction all my life and I missed out on this electronic stuff. Wish I could have learned it years ago.

Thanks for all you guys do here. We really need people like you on pinside.

Bob

#8 10 years ago

Been working as an electronics design engineer for 30 years (same company the whole time). Currently updating design of high end communications equipment for satellites. 90% of the time through years has been for communications hardware design. Tons of miscellaneous jobs as well. Most fun was the monitoring system for people under home arrest. Had wireless ankle straps on the person (with anti-tamper), GPS tracking (that was fun to test), built in breath-analyzer (didn't get to test that one), cameras...lots of fun stuff while trying to out guess what the criminals would do (some of them are quite ingenious). Lots of experience with linear and switching power supplies on that job as well as solenoid drivers and mechanical stuff.
    A lot of that stuff rolls over nicely into pinball and arcade electronics which is mostly generic stuff.

Based on what I have seen on the newsgroups and on pinside - there are quite a few electronics type people here... pinball must hold some form of attraction to us nerds.

Ed

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Modern and still made replacement for the TO-220 transistor would be a BUX85 at less than a buck apiece.
    I don't follow the 'running cooler' line, though.Regardless of transistor type - this circuit is still dissipating the same amount of power. This power is dissipated as heat.If incoming voltage is 230VDC, if adjusted voltage is 150VDC then this circuit is dropping 80 volts. If the current is 100mA (randomly high but believable value) then the power dissipated is 8 watts. This power dissipation is the same regardless if 2N3584 or BUX84 or any other type transistor. Since you have not changed the heat sink then the overall temperature should be nearly identical to that of a 2N3584. The BUX84 has slightly better Junction-to-case thermal resistance than the 2N3584 (probably comparable to one used above). But the 2N3584 has better case-to-sink thermal resistance (typical of metal can transistor). So, the thermal resistance is nearly identical. Unless the heat sink compound was dried out, I do not see any reason for the transistor to be any different in temp. And I see no reason for the heat sink to be at a different temp, either.
    Now -- if the transistor being driven has a different gain then it is possible that one of the 2N3440's may be running slightly cooler. But most of their current is determined by biasing resistors.

It doesn't run any cooler than the original design (which also really didnt warm at all). I was trying to say in this setup it does not get hot compared to original component.

I will have to look into finding BUX85 with a non insulated tab. The BUX84 i found are plastic non conductive on the mounting tab.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

do you guys learn this from just pinball or from your regular job?
    I was in construction all my life and I missed out on this electronic stuff. Wish I could have learned it years ago.
    Thanks for all you guys do here. We really need people like you on pinside.
    Bob

4-5 years ago i knew zero about electronics. I bought a bunch of corroded trashed pinball machines and forced myself to learn so i could fix my games.

First i mastered using a soldering iron. Being able to put components going in and out. Next i understood how to test and figure out when all the different types of components are bad. Then i started get into the theory of how and why things work the way they do (and i am still shakey on it). I learned from guides like Clay's, posts from people like GPE, clive, and all the friends on RGP. Tons of reading, tinkering, testing, playing. I should take a formal class some day.

Now i fix pinball boards to pay for my hobby. Anything i make on pinball boards funds my next pinball purchase. My day job pays the bills.

andrew

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I will have to look into finding BUX85 with a non insulated tab. The BUX84 i found are plastic non conductive on the mounting tab.

Standard BUX84 and 85 transistors are with the non-insulated tab. It's a special suffix to get the version with the insulated tab (actual suffix varies between mfrs). I'll have BUX85G's (new On-Semi parts) in the near future as this looks like a good alternative to the increasingly rare 2N3584's.

Ed

3 months later
    #12 9 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Standard BUX84 and 85 transistors are with the non-insulated tab. It's a special suffix to get the version with the insulated tab (actual suffix varies between mfrs). I'll have BUX85G's (new On-Semi parts) in the near future as this looks like a good alternative to the increasingly rare 2N3584's.
    Ed

Do you have any Bux in stock yet?

#13 9 years ago

Another question,

Had some issues with a -22 Bally SDB. Replaced the 2n3584 with the rest of the HV Regulator components. Circuit went bad but can't figure why. Replaced the 2n3584 and the non-heatsinked 3440 and for a few seconds it output the correct voltage then nothing. R51 (22K) was very hot. It's new but already looks burned. What is the proper way to test the 3584 and the 3440 transistors? Other resistors in the circuit test at proper values as do the two diodes.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Do you have any Bux in stock yet?

Yep -- BUX85's on this page:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=105

Had them for a few months with no sales... they were never listed on the website until tonight.

For current problem -- time to retest all three transistors. Only sure way to test is out of circuit.

#15 9 years ago

R51 burns when the transistors go short. These transistors you can test with your DMM on diode test in a conventional way.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

R51 burns when the transistors go short. These transistors you can test with your DMM on diode test in a conventional way.

Kind if figured. Probably the one I didn't replace was also bad. Now think I may have retried the 3584 and the other 3440. I hate re replacing things.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Yep -- BUX85's on this page:
    Had them for a few months with no sales... they were never listed on the website until tonight.
    For current problem -- time to retest all three transistors. Only sure way to test is out of circuit.

Thanks, will be ordering.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Kind if figured. Probably the one I didn't replace was also bad. Now think I may have retried the 3584 and the other 3440. I hate re replacing things.

These almost always fail in a set of three. If you don't replace them in a set, you risk shorting them again.

#19 9 years ago

Could the lm323k be replaced with a 323t in a similar fashion to using the bux85 for the 3584 or is the pin config too far off?

By the way, my Meteor has a CPU repaired by you barakandl

#20 9 years ago

LM323T might fit as the pinout would match. BUT the LM323T's thermal resistance is higher than that of the metal can LM323K's so the LM323T would run quite abit hotter. I don't think I would try that.

1 month later
    #21 9 years ago

Hey, would this be a good addition to pinwiki?
    As 2N3584's get scarce (only Central Semi making them now at greatly elevated prices). The BUX85 seems to be a viable alternative using method shown above.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Hey, would this be a good addition to pinwiki?
    As 2N3584's get scarce (only Central Semi making them now at greatly elevated prices). The BUX85 seems to be a viable alternative using method shown above.

I give it a yes vote. Good idea Ed.

#23 9 years ago

I have sent out probably 20 driver board using a BUX84 as the HV transistor over the last year or two. None have come back with problems. I got a few of my games with them too. Perfect replacement..

#24 9 years ago

I always use BUT11A without any problems.

- Ingo

8 months later
    #25 8 years ago

Bumping cause this is good info and those new to the hobby might have missed a good piece of info. I've now got a few for when I do board work. Can't beat the price.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Bumping cause this is good info and those new to the hobby might have missed a good piece of info. I've now got a few for when I do board work. Can't beat the price.

Thanks! I have been using the KT859A (BUX84 equiv) TO-220 transistors for some time now with no problems. GPE has the BUX85 for 80 cents each with quantity break at 10+. That is valid part number at a good price. I think i paid around $1 each for the soviet made ones a few years back and thought i did okay.

2 months later
    #27 8 years ago

Awesome! That old part was $5, now I can just buy 6 of this part for the same price. Thanks!

2 months later
    #28 8 years ago

so can the bux 84 with the insulated tab still be used?,I assume they still need a heatsink

#29 8 years ago

Yes, but the center lead - collector, will have to be folded up, solder a wire to the center lead and then attached the other end of the wire to the the tab mounting
    screw to provide circuit continuity for the collector.

Yes the heat sink will still be required to be in place.

The metal tab, un-insulated. provides collector circuit continuity
    when it is mounted, and the center lead is cut off.

#30 8 years ago

thanks for the quick reply

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Standard BUX84 and 85 transistors are with the non-insulated tab. It's a special suffix to get the version with the insulated tab (actual suffix varies between mfrs). I'll have BUX85G's (new On-Semi parts, non-insulated tap, RoHS) in the near future as this looks like a good alternative to the increasingly rare 2N3584's.
    Ed

Had people ask me what the "G" meant on BUX85G. "G" suffix simply means the part does not contain lead, it is RoHS (reduction of hazardous substances) compliant.

#32 8 years ago

Unless I'm missing something major, it looks like this transistor is neither difficult to find nor expensive:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Central-Semiconductor/2N3584/?qs=Ypxpq5eNvNUPDDXg7JlkXQ%3d%3d

Datasheet: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/68/2n3583-3585-28734.pdf

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Unless I'm missing something major, it looks like this transistor is neither difficult to find nor expensive:
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Central-Semiconductor/2N3584/?qs=Ypxpq5eNvNUPDDXg7JlkXQ%3d%3d
    Datasheet: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/68/2n3583-3585-28734.pdf

the 2n3583 from mouser at $10.90each is over 13 times more expensive than GPE's part. I have probably 20 of these driver boards on hand i need to eventually go through, that is a no brainer to me.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

the 2n3583 from mouser at $10.90each is over 13 times more expensive than GPE's part. I have probably 20 of these driver boards on hand i need to eventually go through, that is a no brainer to me.

Different strokes...

If it were me, the extra $$$ would be worth it for the peace of mind I'd feel knowing I used an exact replacement: no mods/hacks are needed, it is a known quantity with regard to long-term reliability and function, and it maintains the original engineering specs (which I won't second-guess as I am definitely not an engineer, just a self-taught hobbyist who realizes there is lot of stuff I don't know that I don't know).

In the end it doesn't really matter as long as the solenoids are clacking and the lights are flashing!

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Unless I'm missing something major, it looks like this transistor is neither difficult to find nor expensive...

It's a matter of how much you are willing to spend and personal preference. Some people pay more to get exact same part that fits properly, some people just go for an electrical equivalent but a bit of a 'different' fit and at less than $1 each. No problem with paying more for an exact replacement, I also have these listed on my website but at much less than $10.90.

Regarding expensive - that's why I mentioned "Central Semi making them now at greatly elevated prices" above - they are at $10.90 each. Not long ago when Motorola was making these, new ones were less than a buck apiece. Central Semi keeps track on supplies and adjusts prices accordingly, they already increased their price by 3x in a short period of time.

Regarding tech specs - most of the BUX85G specs are better than the 2N3584's. BUX85G min gain is a hair less but BUX85G can withstand higher voltages and has a far lower junction to case thermal resistance. The slight difference in gain won't matter as that is already accounted for by Q22.

Same thing is going on with LM323K regulators. ST had them for less than $5 each at the time of LTB or Last Time Buy. TI is now sole survivor for making these and has them at nearly $30 each (new parts). I was fortunate enough to buy ~500 new regulators while they were still available and reasonable.

4 months later
    #36 8 years ago

Thought I'd dig this up.

My HV section went on my lost world and didn't have any 2n3584 on hand. So I found this thread and ordered up a 10 pack of BUX85's. The install is easy and painless, clip the middle leg and install like a 2n3584.

I replaced the other HV parts, all caps and added some LED digital voltage readouts. Voila, a nice steady 190V.

BUX85 were $1.11 CDN each after buying 10.

IMG_20160202_165721_(resized).jpgIMG_20160202_165721_(resized).jpg

#37 8 years ago

But turn that 190V down to save your Plasma tubes. The lower you can go, the better. Just enough to light all the segments.

#38 8 years ago

what's with the LED monitors? I want to know more about those. that's pretty slick.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what's with the LED monitors? I want to know more about those. that's pretty slick.

ebay.com link: DC 0 30V Blue LED Car Digital Display Voltage Voltmeter Panel Meter Gauge MiNi

$2 and free shipping

#40 8 years ago

nice. These are kind of handy when you need to watch multiple voltages

#41 8 years ago

I find the displays very handy, especially when you support your friends machines.

I got mine here ebay.com link: 10PCS 0 28 DC Digital Voltmeter Panel Mount LED Voltage Volt meter Red 2 50 30V

There are other listing that provide up to 100VDC if you want to see 43, 91....etc

Respect goes out to Clay....I saw it in one of his pics of a bench test rig

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Thought I'd dig this up.
    My HV section went on my lost world and didn't have any 2n3584 on hand. So I found this thread and ordered up a 10 pack of BUX85's. The install is easy and painless, clip the middle leg and install like a 2n3584.
    I replaced the other HV parts, all caps and added some LED digital voltage readouts. Voila, a nice steady 190V.
    BUX85 were $1.11 CDN each after buying 10.

IMG_20160202_165721_(resized).jpg

NICE!!! How did you fasten the LED-voltmeters?

#43 8 years ago

I used two sided foam tape. A dab of silicone would work too or the pcb has screw holes.

BTW - you have to drill a hole in the SDB in order to run the wires to the back side

5 years later
    #44 2 years ago

Thank you for the pic above Q21 replacement. I just did a rebuild of my board and needed to do that with the 3 leg replacement.

5 months later
    #45 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

I don't follow the 'running cooler' line, though.
    Regardless of transistor type - this circuit is still dissipating the same amount of power. This power is dissipated as heat.
    If incoming voltage is 230VDC, if adjusted voltage is 150VDC then this circuit is dropping 80 volts. If the current is 100mA (randomly high but believable value) then the power dissipated is 8 watts. This power dissipation is the same regardless if 2N3584 or BUX84 or any other type transistor. Since you have not changed the heat sink then the overall temperature should be nearly identical to that of a 2N3584. The BUX84 has slightly better Junction-to-case thermal resistance than the 2N3584 (probably comparable to one used above). But the 2N3584 has better case-to-sink thermal resistance (typical of metal can transistor). So, the thermal resistance is nearly identical. Unless the heat sink compound was dried out, I do not see any reason for the transistor to be any different in temp. And I see no reason for the heat sink to be at a different temp, either.

Small update and link, part number changed to the lead free version:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?qs=vNc2DXHODiJ9fMJcu1Buag%3D%3D

BUX85G

1 week later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-obsolete-ballystern-hv-to-66-transistor-with-more-available-to-220 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.