Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 388 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 days ago by emsrph
  • Topic is favorited by 368 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2150 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2144 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2143 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2142 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1998 (resized).jpeg
    WIRINGd (resized).png
    IMG_1993 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1992 (resized).jpeg
    Fuse Box (resized).jpg
    ma3 (resized).jpg
    ma2 (resized).jpg
    Ma1 (resized).jpg
    13A74006-443A-4870-A261-F36F2ACD0345 (resized).jpeg
    silver-markings (resized).png
    plug-shapes (resized).png
    open-and-say-ahhh (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #4 This post describes what each terminal in a new plug is for. Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #6 This post is step two in replacing the plug on your old cord. Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

vid1900- I've got a weird problem with a Bally Spectrum that I just got in. It was carrying 110v on its metal side rails and lock down bar when measured to another nearby pinball machine. (No wonder it made me jump when I happened to touch both!) It would do this even when turned off and plugged into a surge protector which itself was turned off. The game runs fine.
    A repair guy told me to reverse the neutral and hot wires entering the filter box which I did. The machine still shows 110v AC at the side rails, but it drops to 50v AC when I turn the game on. Any idea what might be wrong?? Game has it original power cord with ground plug in place. The ground plug shows continuity with the side rails as it should. I assume I have a short between the hot wire and ground somewhere in the game, but no fuse is blowing??

I would also check the other machine. I ran into a game where the hit and neutral were switched and noticed the same thing. It can also easily happen if someone adds a three to two prong adapter on a couple nearby games but plugs one in backwards.

5 months later
    #178 5 years ago

I've gotten into the habit of using the DVM set to AC to check between the lock bars, etc between games. All of them to date have shown zero but I just ran across a pair of machines that show just over 50v. Immediately unplugged them. One has had the end replaced with a grounded connector as it should. The other has the original end but the ground tab was broken off. I am going to replace the whole cord at some point but for now will install a new grounded connector.

So I will get that new grounded plug on the machine and check again. If there is still a voltage difference I'll have to take apart the connector on the other game to see if who ever installed it connected the leads backwards.

Either way I plan to get to the bottom of it asap since I want them to be safe to play. Until then those two games stay unplugged.

If you haven't checked lately it only takes a moment to use your meter across neighboring games to see if there are issues to be addressed.

#179 5 years ago

New grounded plug fixed the issue. Make sure you check your games and keep everyone safe.

2 years later
    #255 2 years ago
    Quoted from Redwizard000:

My Bride of Pinbot and my Taxi machine both shock me a little sometimes while touching the outside metal. They both have grounding pins on the plugs though. I always figured something inside must not be grounded correctly, I have checked for loose wires or anything touching metal that shouldn't be and come up empty. It never occurred to me to check the actual power plug. I wonder if that could be it.

If you have a voltmeter set it to AC and measure the rails from one machine to the next. Should be 0 or very close to it. If you get around 60 volts then you may have an open ground. If you get 120V then you may have a hot/neutral swapped on the power cord of one machine, Not safe. Start with the voltmeter and go from there.

#259 2 years ago

So turn the machines on, put the multimeter in AC, volts and put the red on one machines rail and the black on the other machines rail?
    I will try that and see.

Yes. When I had a machine with a bad ground plug I would see around 60V on one. That was fixed when I fixed the ground on the cord. If someone replaced an end or a cord and mixed up the neutral and hot leads then that would explain it too.

#263 2 years ago

I am getting 64v. It's the Taxi machine. 0v between the BOP and the STTNG, but 64v between Taxi and either of the others.
    Makes sense, the Taxi is the one that has straight up shocked me before.
    edit:
    Probably a bad plug. Upon closer inspection, the grounding pin wiggles when pushed. It's probably not connected properly. I'll buy a new plug end next time I hit the hardware store.

Sounds like an open ground. Same thing happened on one of my machines.

3 months later
    #282 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Any chance someone knows the part number or a source to replace the missing grommet from this Gottlieb System 80B? I’m redoing this machine, and don’t want to plug it in again with sharp bare sheet metal against the cord and no strain relief.[quoted image][quoted image]

I would check with pbresource.com to see if they have them. It is an odd size. If you can't find one then at least put some grommet edging on the metal opening:

https://www.amazon.com/Tueascallk-Flexible-Protector-Plastic-Thickness/dp/B07K8F951B

https://www.amazon.com/grommet-edging/s

The hard plastic slotted version works well and I've used it for similar reasons.

2 months later
    #292 2 years ago

It’s also good to use a meter set to AC to measure between lockdown bars on all your games. Shouldn’t see any voltage. If you do it could be a broken ground or a miswired game.

#295 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

How did it work before / could it work before? This is what has me so confused.....before tear down, this pin was flipping fine with this wiring on the line filter:[quoted image][quoted image]

It's not the same cord. It had a flat cord and now you used a round one. Did you verify the way they are wired from the pins on the plugs to the actual colors? I've seen some cords where the colors weren't right so I don't trust the colors of the wires.

FYI pbresource.com does sell the flat cords. My Meteor came with a yellow extension cord spliced in and it was horrible. I installed a fresh new flat power cord and it looks great. As a final test I plug in one of the outlet testers (that I try in the wall first) to verify that the service outlet shows the proper polarity and that it is properly grounded.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.