Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 388 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 48 days ago by emsrph
  • Topic is favorited by 368 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2150 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2144 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2143 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2142 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1998 (resized).jpeg
    WIRINGd (resized).png
    IMG_1993 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1992 (resized).jpeg
    Fuse Box (resized).jpg
    ma3 (resized).jpg
    ma2 (resized).jpg
    Ma1 (resized).jpg
    13A74006-443A-4870-A261-F36F2ACD0345 (resized).jpeg
    silver-markings (resized).png
    plug-shapes (resized).png
    open-and-say-ahhh (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #4 This post describes what each terminal in a new plug is for. Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #6 This post is step two in replacing the plug on your old cord. Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

If I want to permanently add a standalone power supply, say for example to power up my true light bar atop High Speed, what is the proper way to do that, tying it into the line cord/power switch?

The proper way is connect the power supply neutral and ground directly to the incoming leads on the power cord. Connect the hot lead to the outgoing connector on the power switch.

This will result in your new power supply load being added to the existing load on the main fuse. You could install a separate fuse between the switch and the new power supply (sized appropriately) so a short might blow only the new power supply circuit rather than the entire game power.

1 year later
    #139 5 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

...even when turned off and plugged into a surge protector which itself was turned off.

Sounds like your hot wire is connected improperly from the wall, maybe reversed with the neutral. The surge protector should be interrupting the hot wire, making it impossible to get current from it while turned off.
    Get one of these or something similar and test your wall outlets. https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Receptacle-Professional/dp/B000RUL2UU/

2 weeks later
    #146 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The switch on a Surge Protector only cuts the HOT Wire (black wire) on and off. It does not switch the Ground or the Neutral (white wire)
    So if the game still has voltage, even though the power strip is OFF, that tells us you have 115vac on the Neutral wire.

Quoted from sbmania:

Finally found the problem. The power strip the game was plugged into had a loose ground plug. I replaced the power strip and everything is fine now.
    Not sure why the faulty power strip ground plug would allow 110v from the game that was plugged into it to flow to other games plugged into other wall sockets via the metal trim? Any ideas? I thought usually you would see 50v with a bad ground plug, not 110.

A faulty ground plug cannot cause the issues you described. If you have not confirmed your wall outlets are wired correctly you should do so.

5 months later
    #180 5 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

New grounded plug fixed the issue.

You're getting current where it doesn't belong. A properly grounded game will dissipate that current safely but doesn't address the source of the problem.

3 weeks later
    #188 5 years ago
    Quoted from Winger03:

Is it OK to coil up a little of the length into the cabinet?

Define "a little". As long as its not going to interfere with anything or lay somewhere to rub through the insulation and eventually short out it's fine.
    If you're trying to store a few thousand feet for your next 457 projects no.

8 months later
    #208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

I assume I could just ground to the transformer case rather than one of those little guys?

Don't assume. Read the post and do as it says. Here is the link again: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide#post-1945124

3 months later
    #212 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Is the Ground Braid needed for Woodrail pinballs with wood rails, wood legs, wood lock down bar and wood coin door?

Wood is generally a poor conductor so wooden items are generally not grounded. If you have metal things that could easily come in contact with something that carries current consider connecting ground braid to that thing.

1 year later
    #279 2 years ago
    Quoted from Incomer:

I took 4 "factory state" ungrounded games and measured for each the voltage from one of the mounting lugs of the transformer to a grounded point on a grounded game.

Was your meter set on AC or DC? Have you compared readings with another meter to rule out equipment failure?

The ground wire/braid should touch anything that may have unwanted current present. Its purpose is to safely dissipate that current by providing a better path to ground than someone touching that thing would provide, thereby preventing the person from getting a shock.

It seems odd that a common failure of transformers is start providing current to the mounting lug. I think breakers would trip often with old games if that were the case.

3 months later
    #287 2 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

norway, so its 220V and the fuse is 16amp.

Should be 4amp, not 16.
    See page 96 in your manual.

WWtransformerjumperchart (resized).pngWWtransformerjumperchart (resized).png
    3 months later
    #312 2 years ago
    Quoted from Greenfun13:

I was under the impression that two would offer additional protection based on Vid's quote below:

Connecting them in parallel is fine.
    https://components101.com/articles/metal-oxide-varistor-mov-overview
    "The MOVs should always be connected in parallel for increased energy handling capability and if you want to get higher voltage rating you should connect it in series."

3 weeks later
    #318 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fishman54:

On Williams / Bally games particular a No Fear where do you plug in the replacement cord to?

Generally you'll solder the bare wires on the end of the cord to the proper place in the game.
    There are many, many possible things that could have been done to your game since it left the factory so don't just go by 'standard' advice. Take pictures of what you have. If your cord is missing, say so.

Check the key posts in this thread and ask specific questions where your situation isn't covered.

2 months later
    #320 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

you can actually install an "ungrounded" GFCI and it will still trip on a Ground Fault.

Vid, I was with my new home inspector today and watched him test a GFCI outlet that was ungrounded. It didn’t trip. I’m assuming the button on his tester made a connection between the hot and ground.

Was it just an old GFCI that doesn’t function like newer ones? This house I’m looking at has no ground wire at the outlets (built in 1959). I presume the 3 prong outlets and GFCI were added later.

Will be interesting to hear my electrician’s quote for fixing that issue.

8 months later
    #346 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

noticed the factory plug was NOT the polarized type

Three prong cords aren't typically polarized because it's impossible to plug them in wrong. To reverse the hot and neutral the ground prong has to be removed.

2 weeks later
    #358 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Stray AC voltage is finally gone!

The voltage is still there and you still don't know where it's coming from but at least it's being safely routed to ground. That's a step in the right direction.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide?tu=YeOldPinPlayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.