Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 388 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by emsrph
  • Topic is favorited by 368 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2150 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2144 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2143 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2142 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1998 (resized).jpeg
    WIRINGd (resized).png
    IMG_1993 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1992 (resized).jpeg
    Fuse Box (resized).jpg
    ma3 (resized).jpg
    ma2 (resized).jpg
    Ma1 (resized).jpg
    13A74006-443A-4870-A261-F36F2ACD0345 (resized).jpeg
    silver-markings (resized).png
    plug-shapes (resized).png
    open-and-say-ahhh (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 1 year ago

Let me try to explain my issue one more time to see if someone can help. On my mousin around, the line cord comes into the game, goes to the junction box where the black, white and green wires split off. White, green and black go to the small square box inside the larger junction box which I think is the varistor? They further go to the line fuse and service outlet. They then go to the on/off switch.

If I check continuity from the wall.plug prongs to the white, black and green wires, everything checks correctly - when the on/off switch is OFF.

However, when I turn the on/off switch ON, my meter shows continuity between all black and white wires! That cant be correct?

When I leave the switch off, but jumper the black and white wires across it, again I show continuity between black and white at all places inside the game - service outlet, varistor input and output. Both sides of on/off switch, etc. Thoughts??

#352 1 year ago

You can get continuity through incandescent light bulbs. Are you getting the same result at the service outlet? Never mind, I see you are.

#353 1 year ago

The end result of all this is I have 60v ac between any metal surface on mousin and any other nearby pinball. If you touch both - ouch!

1 week later
    #354 1 year ago

Still desperate for help or suggestions!! I got to thinking about why the black and white wires show continuity only after the on/off switch is turned on. Seems to me that the ac wires going into the transformer might show continuity? Since they go through a transformer winding?

Tested that theory with the transformer input plug unplugged and sure enough, the white and black wires show continuity going into the transformer.

So if this is normal, why am I getting ac voltage between my game and its neighbors?? The black wire is connected to the little plug prong, the white wire is connected to the larger prong, the green is connected as it is supposed to and the line outlets show no fault. Somebody help me think this through. Please!

#355 1 year ago

I believe the live voltage, (black wire coming from the wall outlet) should run to the service outlet first. The machine's power switch should not need to be on to plug something into the service jack. I don't have a schematic in front of me but I'm sure that's how they are wired.

#356 1 year ago

I'll check that and report back. Normally when I get ac voltage between two games' metal surfaces it's because someone before me installed a replacement plug incorrectly with the black and white wires reversed. Or has cut the ground prong off. I dont see that in this case.

#357 1 year ago

I think I finally found the problem after chatting with Ray over at Wide Area Repair and bouncing a few ideas around. His thought was that most times he has that problem, its a missing ground, rather than switched hot and neutral wires. So, with that in mind, I again traced all wires from the wall plug back to the junction box inside the game and found all wires had continuity. As I looked at the game, I saw the ground braid which travels all throughout the game grounding various pieces of metal trim and got to wondering where the braid got its ground from. The line cord provided ground to the junction box, but NO ground wire came out of the junction box! I looked at a neighboring Secret Service pinball and saw that the metal ground braid which runs around the cabinet and carries the ground throughout the game was looped under the metal junction box on Secret Service.

I looked back at the ground braid on Mousin' and saw the ground braid ran along the cabinet NEAR the junction box but was not actually connected to it in any way. The staples holding the braid looked factory to me, but I pulled one out and ran the braid under the junction box housing as it was on Secret Service and screwed the junction box back to the cabinet. Voila! Ground now carries from green wire on wall plug, through the junction box, and onto the ground braid. Stray AC voltage is finally gone!! Thanks to all who provided suggestions and helped me focus my thinking towards a final solution.

#358 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Stray AC voltage is finally gone!

The voltage is still there and you still don't know where it's coming from but at least it's being safely routed to ground. That's a step in the right direction.

9 months later
    #359 5 months ago

@Vid1900, this thread was very useful, thank you so much! Put together a junction box for WPC-89 (WH2O). What do you think?

More info on it, here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-wh2o-scratch-build/page/4#post-7853563

Thank you for taking the time to take a look

NotesNotes

#360 5 months ago

^ Looks like clean work!

#361 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

^ Looks like clean work!

Thank you so much! It helps to be working with only new parts

2 months later
    #362 3 months ago

Thanks VID, I put a new plug on the end of my Space Station cord this morning. This thread was a good reference!

1 month later
    #363 58 days ago

More thanks VID, I put new cords from The Pinball Resource on my Gottlieb El Dorado and Bally Fireball EMs! Long overdue.

#364 58 days ago

Hey Vid, I scanned through this guide to try and make sense of what I have on my game, but couldn’t find the exact situation. I have a Continental Cafe (currently in the finishing stages of being converted to a Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons EM), and I’m about to install a three-prong cord as per your instructions, but want to be clear on how to tie it in with the power switch that was added in. Based on the previous posts, I am assuming it had been done incorrectly.

I found the switch currently containing both hot and neutral attached, with neutral going to the transformer lug, and hot twisted onto to the hot wire of the power cord. The neutral wire of the power cord, however, is attached to the FUSE. (I’d already desoldered it in the picture.)

Based on your info, hot from the plug should go to the switch first, and then to the fuse. Neutral from the plug goes to the transformer. Where, then does neutral from the switch go? I also want to be sure I connect the switch properly, and am unsure if the lug connecting the switch to the outlet plug then goes to the fuse via the same lug or an adjacent one (as pictured except connected to the transformer instead).

IMG_1992 (resized).jpegIMG_1992 (resized).jpegIMG_1993 (resized).jpegIMG_1993 (resized).jpeg
    #365 57 days ago

^ Just start with a clean, new wiring.

Run the Neutral to the Transformer.

Run the Ground to the Transformer case.

Run the Hot to the Fuse, then on to the Switch, then on to the Transformer

#366 57 days ago

Yep, I have a new cord to replace the old with. Just could use a visual for exactly how the switch gets wired up. Is that somewhere in the thread? Which lug on the switch gets the hot, and does the same lug on the switch go back the transformer or is that a different lug?

#367 57 days ago

Oh and do both the hot and neutral then both end up on the same transformer lug?

#368 57 days ago
    Quoted from BenTheCartoon:

Oh and do both the hot and neutral then both end up on the same transformer lug?

No, that would short circuit the line voltage.

It should end up on the other lug of the primary winding.

#369 57 days ago

I knew that didn’t sound right. I think I just need to look up a picture, or check out a similar EM when I get to work.

#370 57 days ago

OK, think about the logic here:

If you just hooked up the Hot and Neutral straight to the transformer, the game would come on, right?

So you need to break the Hot connection with a switch. The switch simply disconnects the Hot, or reconnects the Hot. That's all it does.

Take your volt meter, put it in beep mode and hook it up to any 2 tabs on the switch. See how if the switch is in the ON position, the meter beeps? When it's in the OFF position, the beeping stops? Play with this until it makes sense.

-

The fuse cuts off the HOT from the machine should any overload or fault occur. This should be the first thing the HOT is connected to.

-

The GROUND connects to the frame bolt of the transformer, giving us a path if some fault occurs in the windings.

-

HOT comes in the machine, connects to one side of the FUSE, the other side of the FUSE gets wired to one tab of the SWITCH, the other SWITCH tab goes to the TRANSFORMER tab.

The NEUTRAL come in the machine and goes directly to the other tab on the TRANSFORMER.

The GROUND comes in the machine goes directly to the frame bolt of the TRANSFORMER.

Drawn on my phone, sorry about the quality, lol:

WIRINGd (resized).pngWIRINGd (resized).png
    #371 57 days ago

Thank you, Vid! That makes perfect sense now. I just couldn't visualize it in my head before. I will give it a shot this afternoon.

#372 57 days ago

Clean up that mech board. Do not leave those broken wire strands floating around inside the cabinet.

#373 57 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Drawn on my phone, sorry about the quality, lol:

Quality is perfect, sometimes a simple napkin sketch is exactly what you need. I'm an electrical novice at best, so it never hurts to hear a basic function explained again like I'm a kid. Easy to get lost in the weeds of detailed instructions without a clear understanding of what you're actually trying to accomplish.

#374 57 days ago

Let's see if I got this right.

Power comes in, attaches to fuse (black), transformer lug (white), and transformer bolt (green). Other side of fuse, we have brown wire going to switch (as well as black wire going to the rest of the game), and then back down to the OTHER transformer lug.

IMG_1998 (resized).jpegIMG_1998 (resized).jpeg
    #375 57 days ago

According to the schematic, the other black wire on the fuse (the end that also has the switch wire) goes to the coin chute relays and 115v hold relay. There are no coin mechs in this machine — it’s a custom-built wooden door. I don’t think there should be any problem with plugging it in, but I want to wait for confirmation before I accidentally wreck something.

#376 56 days ago

We can't see what you have there.

If it is not connected to anything, then disconnect it from the fuse and tape it off so it does not accidentally touch anything else. If you ever get the needed coin mechs, you still have your wire in place and available.

#377 56 days ago

Gotcha. I might just make a separate thread for this game so I don’t clog this one up. Thanks for your help so far! As far as the rest of it goes, does it look right, or should I try to take a better picture?

#378 56 days ago
    Quoted from BenTheCartoon:

Gotcha. I might just make a separate thread for this game so I don’t clog this one up. Thanks for your help so far! As far as the rest of it goes, does it look right, or should I try to take a better picture?

It looks right from what I can see.

You can plug it into a power strip, then flip it on, but ready to turn off in an instant.

Probably be fine (better than it ever was safety wise)

#379 56 days ago

It works! I actually moved that black wire from the fuse to the transformer lug that the switch ultimately leads to. My assumption is that (assuming there were going to be coin mechs installed), you would only want them active if the game was powered on, so I moved the connection to be AFTER the switch.

#380 51 days ago

Redoing what is from a classic Stern Meteor. Looks like the white/black are backwards.

Post #14 is from a Bally and shows Blue wire goes to White, Brown wire to Black. Also schematic seems to agree but checking before I switch it. Thanks

IMG_2142 (resized).jpegIMG_2142 (resized).jpegIMG_2143 (resized).jpegIMG_2143 (resized).jpegIMG_2144 (resized).jpegIMG_2144 (resized).jpeg
    #381 51 days ago

Does the filter care which side they're on? Ultimately you have the neutral and hot on the correct sides it looks like. Genuinely asking here!

#382 51 days ago

The filter doesn't care if Hot is on left or right (otherwise the filter would label the hot).

What's important is that you continue the Hot from one side of the filter straight through to the other side.

#383 51 days ago

Yeah, that’s what I suspected. They’re not straight thru the way they were.

Thanks for confirming. I’ll change it.

IMG_2150 (resized).jpegIMG_2150 (resized).jpeg
    #384 51 days ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Yeah, that’s what I suspected. They’re not straight thru the way they were.
    Thanks for confirming. I’ll change it.
    [quoted image]

Gotcha.

I could not see the reversal on my phone

#385 51 days ago

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-GFWT2-W-SmartlockPro-Weather-Resistant-Tamper-Resistant/dp/B013OVCTBO/ref=sr_1_7

Would this device work for an old house that only has the 2 prong outlet?

#386 51 days ago

You are paying more for the 20a rating on that GFCI, but yes, it will work

#387 50 days ago

I assumed the wire on the bottom left was the ribbed / neutral because it looks bigger. Kinda hard to discern otherwise.

#388 50 days ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

I assumed the wire on the bottom left was the ribbed / neutral because it looks bigger. Kinda hard to discern otherwise.

It looks larger because it has the empty green wire jacket attached.

There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.