12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by KJL
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IC_uitrichter.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I see the removal tools to take out the IC's but what about putting them back in? That is where I had trouble is getting all the leads lined up with the socket.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from BillinIndiana:

I see the removal tools to take out the IC's but what about putting them back in? That is where I had trouble is getting all the leads lined up with the socket.

Don't think there's a tool to help you with that, too many variations of pins and configurations. Care must be taken when reseating obviously

#4 12 years ago

Yes, just make sure all the pins are lined up before using too much force. Try to apply the force as evenly as possible when re-seating the chip.

#5 12 years ago

Thanks, it was just a Logic IC , I had a replacement. I was just reaching to put it in the socket while the board was still in the back box.. Hard to reach and see. I'll be more patient next time, but had me wondering if there was a tool? Thanks!

#6 12 years ago

Yea, I always have trouble with 1 chip, every time I replace ROMs.

I start by aligning the chip with the socket, end to end (so the chip doesn’t hang over 1 end).

While aligning end to end, I insert 1 row of legs, usually the top. I let those legs engage slightly.

Then I rotate the chip so the lower legs approach engagement.

Now the difficult part, I run my finger back and forth trying to get all of the lower legs to engage.

After I think I have them all engaged slightly, I stop and using a flashlight, look to see that I haven't got a leg or 2 hanging out somewhere.

If everything looks good, then I seat the chip.

Robert

#7 12 years ago

I hold the IC perpendicular to a flat surface, so the row of legs is flat,
    the gently roll the IC towards the leg end, then flip the IC over and repeat
    the process for the other side.

Do it gently and once you get the hang of it you'll have the legs tweaked
    just right to push into the socket smoothly.

Remember to ground yourself so you don't shock the IC.

LTG

#8 12 years ago

Don't think there's a tool to help you with that, too many variations of pins and configurations.

How about this then? Just pop the IC in and squeeze. It's suitable for 8 to 40 pin IC's.
    I bought mine for about 9 dollars.
    Just google: "IC pin straightening tool".

IC_uitrichter.jpgIC_uitrichter.jpg

#9 12 years ago

There's also tools that straighten out the legs and hold the IC for insertion. I have one, but rarely use it. I usually end up using the way LTG mentioned.

#10 12 years ago

I find that it is impossible to put any IC into a board while still in the game. Especially the 74xx size. Lighting and old age I guess. So I use this tool I found at my local Radio Shack.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103244

Has 3 sizes. Great for 6821 (40 pin form factor), game ROMs, or 74XX series chips. I don't think I have screwed up since getting this tool. Even use it on the bench now.

Kenny

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-ics-tool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.