(Topic ID: 82832)

Replacing headers - what cutters do you use?

By RoyF

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RoyF
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

saw.jpg

#1 5 years ago

When replacing headers on boards, what cutters do you use for removal of the old header plastic? My small side cutters aren't quite right for this job. Even if I snip the header pins, the side cutters can't quite get in everywhere to make the cuts on the header plastic for removal.

What do you use, and any references to source would be appreciated.

In case you are wondering, I first cut the old header plastic away, then desolder and remove each header pin, then remove the remaining solder. Although with the Hakko I can do those last 2 steps in one (remove pin and solder) since the solder is well melted by the desoldering tool allowing clean removal of the pin without damage right before sucking the solder.

#2 5 years ago

I am getting ready to replace some of mine, I assumed that the plastic would just come off. Will find out soon

#3 5 years ago

I haven't tried it but I read you can heat the pin and it will just pull out like hot knife through butter. Also read of someone cutting between the plastic pins with a razor. I look forward to using my new Hakko desoldering gun next time I gave to do this.

#4 5 years ago

I usually just remove the solder completely - but have sometimes just used the heat from the soldering iron on the pins solder enough to cause the plastic to let go of the pin and you can just pull it out with needle nose pliers through the plastic (the the pin, then grab with the pliers and pull, don't hold the pin while heating or it will take long time).

#5 5 years ago

saw.jpg

#6 5 years ago

Don't cut them out. I desolder the entire strip at once with a Hakko 808 and they fall out with no resistance if you do a good job. If you don't have a good desodlering tool, heat and pull the pins out one by one. You can usually do this with the housing in place.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Don't cut them out. I desolder the entire strip at once with a Hakko 808 and they fall out with no resistance if you do a good job.

I have the Hakko 808 (love it!). I'll give your suggestion a try for my next header replacement. I wasn't sure if there would still be a bond of some type between the pins and the board even after sucking the solder. I guess I can try and find out, and if there is still a bond then add some solder to each pin and pull out the pins one pin at a time.

#8 5 years ago

Some times there is a slight bond still after desoldering. If you gently wiggle they should crack loose. if it takes any more force then very gentle wrocking to get the header pin strip out, then you need to desolder again.

Desoldering holding the hakko like you normally point a gun is ideal.

#9 5 years ago

Yes, that's the orientation I like to use the Hakko in (like a gun with the gun barrel pointed horizontal). Works great with a board set up vertical in the Pana-Vise - use the Hakko on one side of the board and your favorite tool (needle nose plyers) simultaneously on the other side when removing individual components.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 146.66
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside