(Topic ID: 299599)

Replacing headers on a PCB? Simple trick to help out.

By pencilneck

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image014 (resized).jpg
    image015 (resized).jpg
    image005 (resized).jpg
    image013 (resized).jpg
    image004 (resized).jpg
    image003 (resized).jpg
    image012 (resized).jpg
    image011 (resized).jpg
    image009 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Wrapping up replacing the headers on my current project... 3rd time I've done headers on a pin and decided to make my life a touch easier this time round. Here is a quick "hack" using using clothespins:

image009 (resized).jpgimage009 (resized).jpg
    You need to cut one of the fingers. The pliers I'm using, it took a few times to work my way through to make the cut.

image011 (resized).jpgimage011 (resized).jpg
    Not required, but I'd suggest you use a file to clean up your cut area and to also file a notch into the long finger to give it more clearance.

image012 (resized).jpgimage012 (resized).jpg
    And here is the results of about 60 seconds worth of work.

image004 (resized).jpgimage004 (resized).jpg
    Long finger for headers set back in the board.

image003 (resized).jpgimage003 (resized).jpg
    Short finger for headers along the edge of the board.

image013 (resized).jpgimage013 (resized).jpg
    Why I suggest to file a notch, more likely to clear the pins.

image005 (resized).jpgimage005 (resized).jpg
    A bunch of headers loaded up. I would solder 1 pin into place and remove the clip. While the soldier was still flowing, I'd put my finger on the header to make sure it was flush/flat on the PCB. Once all the headers were secured, I went back and did all my soldering.

image015 (resized).jpgimage015 (resized).jpg
    PCB pegs or something... 5/8" dowels cut to 2.5" and drilled. #6 screws and #6 washers. Just fit them to the mounting holes of the PCB and snug into place.

image014 (resized).jpgimage014 (resized).jpg
    A few pegs I had to whittle down a little bit with a pocket knife.

This worked out pretty good for me, figure I'd share. If you find it useful, leave a comment.

Regards.

#2 2 years ago

Now that sir is a neat trick.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from pencilneck:

Wrapping up replacing the headers on my current project... 3rd time I've done headers on a pin and decided to make my life a touch easier this time round. Here is a quick "hack" using using clothespins:
    [quoted image]
    You need to cut one of the fingers. The pliers I'm using, it took a few times to work my way through to make the cut.
    [quoted image]
    Not required, but I'd suggest you use a file to clean up your cut area and to also file a notch into the long finger to give it more clearance.
    [quoted image]
    And here is the results of about 60 seconds worth of work.
    [quoted image]
    Long finger for headers set back in the board.
    [quoted image]
    Short finger for headers along the edge of the board.
    [quoted image]
    Why I suggest to file a notch, more likely to clear the pins.
    [quoted image]
    A bunch of headers loaded up. I would solder 1 pin into place and remove the clip. While the soldier was still flowing, I'd put my finger on the header to make sure it was flush/flat on the PCB. Once all the headers were secured, I went back and did all my soldering.
    [quoted image]
    PCB pegs or something... 5/8" dowels cut to 2.5" and drilled. #6 screws and #6 washers. Just fit them to the mounting holes of the PCB and snug into place.
    [quoted image]
    A few pegs I had to whittle down a little bit with a pocket knife.
    This worked out pretty good for me, figure I'd share. If you find it useful, leave a comment.
    Regards.

Bookmarked & Favorited!!!

#4 2 years ago

Never bothered to replace all of the headers on a WPC PDB, but this is clever! Should certainly help when doing GI headers, AC inputs, and DC outputs in the future. Thanks for the tip!

#5 2 years ago

I just use a bit of masking tape.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-headers-on-a-pcb-simple-trick-to-help-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.