Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 months ago

Hello: I have a couple of burnt power supply connectors on my Kiss that need to be replaced. The videos and threads I've watched/read seem straight forward.
My question is, can I replace the connectors WITHOUT having to break out my soldering gun?

-Not a fan of soldering tiny circuits

#2 12 months ago
Quoted from gesnyc:

Hello: I have a couple of burnt power supply connectors on my Kiss that need to be replaced. The videos and threads I've watched/read seem straight forward.
My question is, can I replace the connectors WITHOUT having to break out my soldering gun?
-Not a fan of soldering tiny circuits

The connector pins crimp on. No soldering required.

#3 12 months ago

The connectors use crimp pins, but if the connectors are burned chances are the header pins are too. If they are burned then yes, you should desolder the old and put new ones on.

#4 11 months ago

If the female connector housing is burned then the male pins are probably burned as well. Once the plating comes off of the male header post it needs to be replaced or it will just burn up again.

So, probably yes need to do the soldering rework of the male pins. Give them a good visual inspection.

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from gesnyc:

Not a fan of soldering tiny circuits

The header pins are relatively large as far as circuits go. It is a PITA to do though, at this point if a rectifier board needs it, I just replace it with new. Many people sell them including barakandl , which is the one I use.

#6 11 months ago

could you just "replate" affected male pin(s) with a thin coat of solder?

#7 11 months ago

Pevo - In my opinion, adding a layer of solder would "stretch out" the connector pins going to those header pins, which in turn would mean any time a different board would be installed, contact between mating surfaces would be questionable.

I've seen it done for edge connectors, and the same thing - the pins that slide onto the edges get stretched out and won't make reliable contact, so you end up replacing those connector pins if a board is changed.

I'm sure there are other reasons this would not be a good idea, others may chime in with different opinions.

#8 11 months ago

Usually doesn’t stick to the pins well when burned

#9 11 months ago

Follow this video from Joes channel. He rebuilds the power supply at around 20:06

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 22.50
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-harness-connectors-on-early-bally-ss-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.