• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zigzagzag
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi,

I'm looking to rebuild 2 sys80b games and am considering using switched PSUs for 5v logic voltage, +-12V sound and 5v for controlled and GI lamps.
I know the GI is originally 6.3V AC, but to simplify matters I would like to use cheap switched PSUs for this.
Is there any particular reason the GI and controlled lamps cannot run from the same 5v DC supply - would 2 separate supplies be necessary ?

I know the coils will need power from a ordinary transformer.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Hi,
I'm looking to rebuild 2 sys80b games and am considering using switched PSUs for 5v logic voltage, +-12V sound and 5v for controlled and GI lamps.
I know the GI is originally 6.3V AC, but to simplify matters I would like to use cheap switched PSUs for this.
Is there any particular reason the GI and controlled lamps cannot run from the same 5v DC supply - would 2 separate supplies be necessary ?
I know the coils will need power from a ordinary transformer.

This sounds like an all around bad idea? Why use a Switching PSU? It’ll fail much sooner than a properly rebuilt original.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This sounds like an all around bad idea? Why use a Switching PSU? It’ll fail much sooner than a properly rebuilt original.

Well ... what if you don't have an original ?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Well ... what if you don't have an original ?

From the post it sounds like you did. I believe someone remakes these boards.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

From the post it sounds like you did. I believe someone remakes these boards.

Well, sorry if I wasn't entirely clear.
The status is I have 2 playfields, that's it.
I have built the MPU, driver and displays from lisy.dev - so far so good.
But obviously this is not enough to make a game, so I have to build 2 cabinets, get some translites etc.
Last but not least - the PSUs - by which I mean the whole transformer and regulator setup.

I guess you misunderstood and thought I was talking about the PSU boards, but that is now what I am asking about.

So back to my original question :

1 week later
#6 1 year ago

You could just try and see. One issue that I have heard is that the amperage spikes from the flippers can be hard for computer PSUs to handle as it detects it as an "overcurrent" fault. So, I think you'd need to identify one that can handle that case.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from lolz0r:

You could just try and see. One issue that I have heard is that the amperage spikes from the flippers can be hard for computer PSUs to handle as it detects it as an "overcurrent" fault. So, I think you'd need to identify one that can handle that case.

Yep, that is the issue with coil power supply - so I don't plan on replacing that with a switched PSU, just a plain old transformer for that.
I only plan to use a switched power supply for the logic and lamps.

I will give it a try once I have the rest of the game(s) assembled.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-gottlieb-sys80b-psu?hl=zigzagzag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.