10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LesManley
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0186.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I shattered a backglass this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone uses acrylic in their backbox instead of glass.

The only disadvantage I see is the cost, but I figure this is mitigated by "never" needing to replace it. Am I missing something?

#2 10 years ago

About $15.00 at a glass shop. Dont waste ypur money on something that will look like crap.
    Make the right choice.

#3 10 years ago

I recently broke the backglass in my TFTC. Since you cannot cut tempered glass the local glass shop said they would have to order it and it would be much more expensive than the $15 quoted above. I ended up getting a piece of plexiglass cut for mine and it looks / works great (although one day I would like to get legit tempered glass back in it)

#4 10 years ago

Anybody try this option from Pinball Decals?

http://pinballdecals.com/NonGlareTranslitesPage.html

#5 10 years ago

Damn, 65$ ain't cheap. I have wondered about this myself as my back box glass has some scratches.

#6 10 years ago

If its worth anything... I got 2 sheets of glass for $35 at my local glass shop(tempered, 1 for playfield, 1 for translite)... yes I had to wait a day for it... but you cant really beat that for price and looks... Acrylic.. isnt going to look as pretty as glass.. and is going to scratch easier over time

#7 10 years ago

I'm not too concerned about the price. I guess I was more interested in the appearance/functionality.

I know that acrylic can be prone to scratching and UV yellowing. Are these problems serious enough to stick with glass?

Do the translites/backlighting look better behind acrylic due to the lower index of refraction?

#8 10 years ago

I have non-glare plexi (like used in picture frames) on my Dr WHO. Can't tell a difference with it lite up. When off the plexi has a "matte" look. It helps with reflections from the translite, so I am probably going to get more cut to use in my other pins.

IMAG0186.jpgIMAG0186.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Wow! That DW translite is bitchin!!! My buddy picked up a project DW with no translite. Any chance you could PM or point me to the source for that? I would love to shoot the info his way. Thanks!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

I shattered a backglass this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone uses acrylic in their backbox instead of glass.
    The only disadvantage I see is the cost, but I figure this is mitigated by "never" needing to replace it. Am I missing something?

I had a couple games that had acrylic in the back box and I hated it. It scratches easily, all the scratches show, flexes and slightly curves. It looked terrible. I swapped them out for glass as soon as I could.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-glass-with-acrylic-in-backbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.