(Topic ID: 13832)

Replacing Flipper Bushings

By MrWizzo

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I have tended to consider changing flipper bushings only when broken or cracked, but am beginning to think that they should go with any rebuild.

For you, are they a repair or maintenance item?

#2 12 years ago

I have been on my flipper rebuilds, but I'm picky. I also have been replacing the back rubber stop too.

#3 12 years ago

Maintenance!!! 100%
    Cracks in the bushing are sometimes hard to spot. For the stupid-low cost, I replace them.
    Consider that these are designed to keep the flipper perfectly horizontal to the playfield. When you see PF wear just above the flippers guess what, that ain't from pinballs! You've either got a cracked flipper bat or a cracked bushing.

#4 12 years ago

Always replace the bushings. If they wear, the flippers can drag and mess up the playfield. They are only $.25 and you have everything apart anyway....

#5 12 years ago

Yes, they are an important part of the rebuild, I replace them.

I replace the rubber stop as well, if they aren't of uniform size.

#6 12 years ago

Looks like I have joined the ranks of the enlightened.

At least as it relates to flipper bushings.

#7 12 years ago

I replace them also. I wish vendors would start to include them in the rebuild kits.

#8 12 years ago

I always replace them when I do a flipper rebuild.

While you have the bat out hold it by the shaft and grab the tip and twist it back and forth, you can't always see the cracks in the ribs but it will flex and make a crackling sound if they are bad.
    They get brittle and discolored with age, most of the time I just replace them while I have the assy. apart.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I wish vendors would start to include them in the rebuild kits.

Yea I think they should be included with all kits as well. Makes no sense to leave them out.

#10 12 years ago

I rebuilt the flippers on my Taxy recently, and was disappointed in the amout of improvement that it gained me. Upon further inspection, I noticed slop in the flipper bat bushings, and decided to order some and replace them. Very happy with the results. I think the tourque is transmitted much better without the slop in the new bushings.

#11 12 years ago

Even if the bushing is not cracked, it can develop an egg shape in the hole which creates "slop" to the flipper bat and shaft. This in turn creates "lost motion" from the slop which reduces power and response of the flipper assembly. Bushings are relatively cheap but are usually not sold as part of some flipper rebuild kits.

#12 12 years ago

I always replace them and the rubber stops. I think they should be included.

#13 12 years ago

If rebuilding and not just making an adjustment. I always swap it out.

#14 12 years ago

These should always be replaced when doing a flipper rebuild. The extra tightness is part of the flipper strength.

#15 12 years ago

I always replace them and the coil sleeve's. if your taking them apart, you may as well change everything you can.

#16 12 years ago

You're already there + price is low + results last just that much longer = Just Do It!

-Aaron
    Play Pinball in Iowa!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-flipper-bushings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.