Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by plugger
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

The 120mm cooling fan in the back box of my Data East Star Trek 25th Anniversary is getting noisy, and I was thinking of replacing it. I couldn't find any info in the manual on specs for the fan, which looks to be pretty standard 12v type as found in computer cases.

I found a fan with these specs, which look pretty middle of the road in terms of air flow (CFM), and thought it would be a likely candidate for the job:

Dimensions 120x120x25mm.
Bearing Two Ball bearing
Rated speed 2400RPM
Noise level 35.0 dBA
Air flow 78.34 CFM 2400 RPM
Current A 0.25 A
Life Hours 70.000

Any comments? I wouldn't have thought there was too much to worry about with a replacement of this nature, but thought it was worth asking anyway...

#2 14 years ago

Get a fan with quality ball bearings and it will save you from having to do the fan swap again for a long while. They will all do the basic same job but a quality ball bearing fan will last longer (and be more quiet).

#3 14 years ago

Also remember: the bigger the fan, the lower the noise. Bigger fans can turn slower because they move more air. This will also prolong the live of the bearings.

So, it might be beneficial for both the cooling and lower noise level to make the hole in the wood bigger and fit in a bigger size fan.

#4 14 years ago

This is another issue that pinheads shouldn't worry about.

ALL of us went to arcades as a kid, ya me too!! Right? Well just think about this. THOSE machines were plugged in ALL the time and ON ALL night long up until the arcade closed. Sometimes those machines would be on for 24-48-72- ok (can't do the math after that one) HOURS!!!! (why do you think boards burnt?)
A cooling fan would benefit something that is ON for that long for sure. Look at our computers, they are on ALL the time, maybe not, but they have cooling fans! IT's something that SHOULD have been in the machines at the time, but not now. I am a pinball fReAk...and I don't leave my machines on all night, I don't even leave them plugged in (when I am not playing them) for all that matters!

I can sell someone a pinball cooling fan if they want one............only $19.95.....and if you call in the next 20 minutes I will send you a second one for FREE!! Call now.......

#5 14 years ago

thats a good point,
those machines were made to be on all the time
heck one of my pins had a big cap soldered across the bat. area to replace the 3 bat.
of course on the home front every time I turned it on I had to reset it,
but yeah in the arcades the games were on all day n night they took a beating.
the video games are even worse!
I remember a 1943 vid. game (the one with the P-38 fighter) that never got turned off
I bet it's still on somewhere

#6 14 years ago

The cooling of the back box is not that difficult... the heat producing electronic components are not that tightly packed in there compared to, say, a computer case.

So I'm not overly concerned about a massive air flow to maximise cooling efficiency. Actually, the reason I'm replacing the fan is mostly because it's noisy, and it's getting a bit annoying.

There is a trade-off between air flow rates and sound produced anyway. If you want a really quiet fan you have to be prepared to compromise on cooling efficiency. Having said that, cooler is better for the longevity of PCBs. Components may be rated to operate at high temps, but the repeated heating and cooling of the boards will lead to stress and failures more quickly than boards that are subject to less thermal stress. So, yes, the boards are designed and rated to operate at fairly high temps, but all things being equal, cooler is still better.

Finally, a good reason to use ball bearing fans instead of the cheaper sleeve bearing type is because as they wear out, they get noisier (like the one I'm replacing). The sleeve bearing type will often sieze up and fail silently, which means that you might not even be aware you have a heating problem. I had a computer that this once happened to with the fan in the power supply, leading eventually to the failure of the entire power supply unit. So although they do last longer, the reason ball bearing fans are good is because they are noisier_, not quieter, than the sleeve bearing type (at least once they've started to wear.)

Anyway, in the absence of any definitive specification in the service manual, I've ordered a replacement unit with both a moderate air flow rating and dB level rating. I made a point of buying it from the USA rather than locally (because the local Oz economy is doing so well, I feel it is better to support the "little guy" retailers in the US and UK economies wherever possible.)

And even with shipping from the US, the price of the unit worked out about the same as I'd pay in a local computer shop here. Weird...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-fan-in-back-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.