Alex has hit the rivet on the head. I guess I've always been sort of a closet engineer. I'm a computer person by trade, but at night I create all sorts of things in my workshop!
One of my reasons I don't want to use the original Jones plug is how flimsy those plugs are. If I had a jig, say the metal template with the holes in it, that would make things a LOT easier. I'm not sure how apparent it is from the pic, but trying to get the tolerance very tight on the pin holes is problematic, because if the holes are tight to the pins, the holes have to be precise to get the whole thing to line up. If I make the tolerance on the holes a little sloppy, to allow the pins to float a little, and line up any imprecise pin holes, then they don't grab in the block!. I was going to epoxy the top of the block to lock the pins in place anyway, but a reverse mold like was discussed earlier is probably the only solution to get them to line up properly without trying to use the original female side of the sockets somehow. I'm just afraid that if I put the new block into the old female plug, I'll get the new plug locked into the old socket and I'll really be screwed.
I work at a place that has all sorts of CNC equipment, and things. I think I could get them to make a steel template for me, with the holes punched at the proper places, for maybe $25. It might only be $10, or $35, but after that I could make as many jones plugs as I wanted! That, or maybe just have them make me say a dozen of the 22 Pin plugs out of Duraglide or UMHW or something, and melt the pins into place. If I get the Jig, maybe I could have it formed with some lips on the edge to hold it to the top of the new block to line up the holes precicely.
I was sort of thinking why not take the Jones plug off the original table and re-solder the ends like Ken says, (thanks for the desoldering tips BTW Ken) But for some reason I sort of wanted to leave as much of the original table in place for wiring reference, and well, being able to plug the old one in and play. I guess once I take the flippers and outhole ball trough assy out, the old table is rather un-usable at that point- which was why originally I sort of thought I'll keep the original table intact, and just fabricate a replacement table, and populate the new table with objects I remove from another game- Flippers, Kickout, Spinners, Pop Bumpers. I guess there could be a mis-match between parts, Maybe the TO game has 3 kickout holes, but the donor game only has one. My thoughts are, even if the whole project goes south and I get sick of looking at it, I only have $75 and my tinkering involved, it'd be easy to get it out of my sight.
This might seem a little silly (maybe useless?), but has anyone ever come up with anything like a breakout box for these plugs? Say so I could plug my Amigo Table into my Old Chicago? Wait, bad idea.. How about The Amigo table into the Gay 90s? - Well, you get the idea. After perusing some of the layouts I was able to find, none of the layouts are the same. Who knows what'd happen. However, if you could map plug to plug, for the devices that matched on a table, the one table could conceivably be controlled by another's base?
As far as that goes- This must be documented somehow- But physically, and logically, on the older EM games anyway, It seems like there is the "Computer," for lack of a better name, CPU? Then the Table, or they physical area, and finally the Scoring systems. It seems like, And I think I proved this the other day, that once an EM game is started, It will play without it's head - that is scoring seems to be a discrete part from the rest of the game. Obviously aspects of the parts interact with each other, but, to a certain extent the pieces are autonomous, or at least it seems easy to draw these lines. The reason I bring it up, and I know I'm super OT, but Couldn't one have the CPU, and Playfield working, and then maybe do the scoring electronically. For instance, I was surprised to see that the switch to activate a pop bumper was completely discrete from the scoring switch! I don't know why, but I assumed they would somehow use the same switch. Maybe that's the conservative computer engineer less is more in me.
I'll post more pics of my Frankenstein as I get it to work. Or, wait I think it might be called "Blood Suckers" (Mosquito reference), or possibly "Taarna!" from the movie Heavy Metal.