• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SAM_1529.jpg
burned.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'll soon be replacing some connectors on both a Space Invaders and a Centaur, and I see in addition to the .156 connectors that there are some smaller ones as well, that are reddish-brown in color. Can someone tell me what size I need to order for these?

#3 8 years ago

The 1028-CT crimper is the best tool for the money to do the job IMHO. GPE has that too.

#4 8 years ago

Dang, I should have ordered .100's too when I ordered a slew of .156's last year, but I had no idea I'd be picking up a couple of Ballys.

I have an HT-225D crimper that worked great on those .156 a few months ago, any reason to think it wouldn't work just as well on these?

#5 8 years ago

I am not familiar with the HT-225D specifically, but you you need a crimper with a small anvil to do the .100" contacts.

I think my crimper is 1026-CT, not sure how dif the 1028-CT is, but i totally recommend it. People like the more expensive crimpers because the do both the insulation and wire at the same time, but i prefer doing them individually. Gives more flexibility with making a good crimp across all insulation and wire sizes.

It is super hard to crimp a thin gauge wire into a 1.56" crimp with the crimpers that do the both crimps at the same time. The other side is i can more easily double crimp a passthrough style contact with the 1026-CT as well.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I have an HT-225D crimper that worked great on those .156 a few months ago, any reason to think it wouldn't work just as well on these?

It works great on .100 contacts too.

#7 8 years ago

Great, I love not having to buy a new tool just for one specific thing. P.S. Vid, I sent you a question in your flipper guide a few days ago.

On a related note, I was just looking through pix I took of Space Invaders and noticed a burned connector on the power supply. This is a .156, correct?

burned.jpgburned.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Yes, those are all 0.156" across the bridge/Fuse PCB.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

On a related note, I was just looking through pix I took of Space Invaders and noticed a burned connector on the power supply. This is a .156, correct?

Yep.

Replace both the Male pins and the Female contacts.

#10 8 years ago

That is a virgin looking pwr supply. Both guards still in place.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Validpowerdetect:

That is a virgin looking pwr supply. Both guards still in place.

One of the header wafers is black colored. That means someone had that rectifier board out.... and actually put the gaurds back on them!

I am kind of guilty about that... i leave them on the rectifier board, but i always shit can the HV one of the driver board.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Great, I love not having to buy a new tool just for one specific thing. P.S. Vid, I sent you a question in your flipper guide a few days ago.

burned.jpg

Very common on the old Ballys

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep.

Replace both the Male pins and the Female contacts.

While you're at it, you might want to consider replacing the bridge rectifiers while you're at it. Ed @ GPE sells upgraded ones.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I have the same crimper and it work very well on both. I am not sure how I managed without it before.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Yeah, I have that crimper as well, it works great. Carry on.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I'll soon be replacing some connectors on both a Space Invaders and a Centaur, and I see in addition to the .156 connectors that there are some smaller ones as well, that are reddish-brown in color. Can someone tell me what size I need to order for these?

I wouldn't replace just some of them. Replace all of them and be done with it.

I usually do a bunch and then take a break and then come back and do some more until I finally have them all replaced. That way you don't get a backache.

It only takes a few hours and after you get practice it goes even faster.

#18 8 years ago

I also have one of the ratcheting crimpers. They work great once you're able to get everything in the jaws without dropping the pin or something. Is it just me? Anybody willing to provide some pictures on the least awkward way to actually hold everything while crimping? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I also have one of the ratcheting crimpers. They work great once you're able to get everything in the jaws without dropping the pin or something. Is it just me? Anybody willing to provide some pictures on the least awkward way to actually hold everything while crimping? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

I don't think so. I would really like to just try out those high zoot $300 Molex crimpers just to see if they really are that much better.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Anybody willing to provide some pictures on the least awkward way to actually hold everything while crimping?

For me I put the pin in to the tool an ratchet down just enough to hold it in place. I insert the wire and then squeeze the rest of the way. Rinse and repeat.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

For me I put the pin in to the tool an ratchet down just enough to hold it in place. I insert the wire and then squeeze the rest of the way. Rinse and repeat.

Yup, that's the simple thing I was missing. Awesome, thank you.

#22 8 years ago

Bite the bullet and replace all connectors in the back box when your refurbing any early SS bally. Use trifuicon pins for the .156 connectors and it should just about eliminate the commonly burned pins on the power supply board.

#23 8 years ago

I want that pneumatic Molex crimper that Stern has in their factory. Put in a reel of contacts and let her rip....

#24 8 years ago

I remove the cable holders and move the old connector to the bottom of the back box. I rest my left elbow on the small box. It's easier for me to cut ,strip and crimp.

SAM_1529.jpgSAM_1529.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 195.00
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-connectors-on-early-bally-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.