Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinning 2 wires .156 (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Hey guys. I'm helping a friend troubleshoot a flaky display on a Flash Gordon. The display is showing extra segments that shouldn't be lit and also is missing some segments.

When we swap out another display the problem stays.

My first thought is that means the connector needs repinned.

If so, here's my question:

I noticed that this display appears to have the wires passing through the connector, and not ending there. I was going to replace the connector with molex so I wasn't sure how to do that without clipping the wire on both sides of the connector and then splicing them together to be able to be pinned into the molex connector.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

#2 7 years ago

Sounds more like the master than the connectors. I don't think the exact same problem would follow the displays if it was one bad connector. Here is a picture of how Williams doubles wires in Molex. They clipped the wire and put them together. Not sure about Flash Gordon though.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

I'm gonna bring a brand new display to help rule out the display being bad before I go to repin the connector. Also I don't think there are any issues with the MPU as it's an alltek. Same with the driver board.

#4 7 years ago

If it is the connector that will super cheap.

#5 7 years ago

Bump it up for more tips on Flash Gordon displays. Thanks!

#6 7 years ago

I just rebuild a bunch of bally displays. Reflow the solder on the header will help sometimes, redoing the connectors is another one that helps, especially if its following another known good display. I had to replace the chips on a few to fix weird issues. But if you do that, socket them for future ease.

Put the suspect display in another slot that is working fine. That will tell you if it's the display or the connectors.

#7 7 years ago

Those pins aren't really designed to accommodate two wires, especially the insulation. I have found stripping and crimping like the illustration to work well.

pinning 2 wires .156 (resized).pngpinning 2 wires .156 (resized).png

Don't overlook the display data connectors on the MPU J1.

#8 7 years ago

Oh, and yes just snip the wires off the old connector and double them up in a properly sized molex. It's quite easy if you have the right tool.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Those pins aren't really designed to accommodate two wires, especially the insulation. I have found stripping and crimping like the illustration to work well.

Don't overlook the display data connectors on the MPU J1.

Okay great. Thanks. So I think if I bring my brand new xpin display, install it and it's still goofy, that would tell me it's the J1 connector right?

#10 7 years ago

This is what I would do.

Power up the game and GENTLY flex MPU J1's wires (not the housing) while watching the displays (you always carry a mirror, right?) to see if that changes the displays any. If yes, repin and reflow or replace [edit] *MPU* headers.

CAUTION! HIGH VOLTAGE PRESENT ON DISPLAYS!

If no, power down and disconnect all 5 displays. If P2 slot is not the goofy one, use it as a test bed. If it is goofy use P4.[edit] *P2 and P4 are most accessible and convenient for swapping*. Connect each display to the test harness and start display test from the coin door. Make sure all segments, all digits cycle through correctly. Disconnect and repeat with the other displays, noting any weak or otherwise bleary segments. If all displays are found good, pick the brightest, clearest one and try it at P1-P4, running display tests.

From your description one position should be goofy with all displays testing good. Except Credit/B.I.P, just leave that one disconnected.

So then you can try repining the connector. As suggested above reflow solder under ALL headers, ALL displays. They are ALWAYS cracked on either end up to 4 or 5 pins, so just do them all.

[edit] *When you reinstall displays, put the 'freshest' one in P1, next best in P2, etc. If they all look great, good for you! The last thing to do is to adjust the HV down a few volts so the displays don't run as "hot" and maybe extend their life a little.*

IMO!

#11 7 years ago

Here it is with the brand new display. Same issue as the other display.

#12 7 years ago

Okay I noticed the playfield lights were acting wonky when playing the game so I turned the game off, jostled some connector wires on the MPU and lamp board, turned back on, now it's seems all display and light issues are gone.

Seemed this badboy would do good to just have all the connectors repinned like most of these old games. Don't think the headers need reflowed since the game is complete with new aftermarket boards.

#13 7 years ago

Yeah, it's the only way to make it really dependable. Those springy connector pins aint so springy no more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-connectors-on-a-flash-gordon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.