Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by erak
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

00acc.JPG
00ac.jpg
00acc.JPG
Black_rose.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I have a black rose pinball machine i'm working on restoring,it has a few problems i need to look at. the cabinet artwork is pretty faded and bashed up. i've searched the net for any company selling pinball cabinet side art without any luck.

is there away around this? somewhere i can download pinball artwork? get it printed or is the only answer to take a hi res photo of the artwork, retouch the colours in a photoshop and send it to a printing company to make large replacement decal? (sounds expensive)

#2 9 years ago

I think erak would be best at answering your question of re-creating artwork from a picture. He is a graphic artist who has created and sold his own custom machine from an existing junk one. He knows about this stuff.

erak ???

There are many others here who can also advise on paint types, stenciling techniques, touchups etc. I've never done anything but basic touchup work. My feeling on my own machines is it's "character" .. I'm lazy though. Whether you got 2 credits or thousands doesn't have any bearing on what you know. (Although most know I like shooting my opinion/help out there all the time .. hehe)

#3 9 years ago

I'd shoot an email over to bay area amusements, as they sell other table decals. They just acquired the rights to Bally Williams stuff. I just don't think there is a high enough demand for black rose atm, seeing how it isn't anywhere near as popular as the more collectible tables.

#4 9 years ago

If you get a good quality high res pic of the side art. Then what you need to do is go into photoshop or any other paint type program,cut and scale to size, zoom in and touch up everything you want to fix.

It takes a long time but if you can't find repro art, this is the only way to do it.

Unless you take the high rez photo to a print shop, more than likely one that does automobile custom vinyl wraps and have them do it for you, but it will cost you large.

I took my artwork to a printing place that specializes in vinyl signs.
It cost me $80 Canadian to print out complete cab art with a UV laminate coating to protect the art. I took my work on a flashdrive to them and they printed it out in about 1/2 hour.

#5 9 years ago

I found this, you could probably take it to the grafix place and get them to scale it, clean it up and make a black background, or at least get a quote. Or if you want I can do it for you. I could get them printed too including labour and print around $350. For bottom cabinet only. I need to find top pics, and good coindoor, if I could around $500 for all printed.

Black_rose.jpg

#9 9 years ago

Open and zoom in on the water at the bottom and I did some cleanup on the sails. Just to give you an Idea, for some reason it wouldnt let me attach a PNG file, This gives an Idea that the colours would be solid like they were intended to be. (Roughly done)

Once switched to PNG format, the image does not degrade when sized in the program, so all you have to do is clean up the image and then it can be printed any size after that.

00acc.JPG

#10 9 years ago

Before

00ac.jpg

#11 9 years ago

Sorry one more pic with some other stuff added

00acc.JPG

#12 9 years ago

awesome work looks great!
will see what i can do with my cabinet and report back, i love the artwork on the sides of this cabinet,maybe i should start by trying to repaint the current artwork.
any tips on restoring artwork? or is there a website with advise on what paint to use

#13 9 years ago

First clean the cabinet with a mr clean magic eraser. You won't believe it but this usually cleans up a cabinet alot. It removes all the skuffs ans dirt. Clean off the white residue left behind by the eraser with a damp rag. Then its ready to paint.

The best advice I can give is to try to match the colours as best you can and buy a cheap airbrush kit, and some clear adhiesive masking.

Put the mask over the areas you want to touch up and cut out the area to be touched up carefully with an exacto blade.
Then spray the area with the airbrush. Don't use a brush it leaves buildup.

You can try to match it with paint markers too, but these can be more expensive than buying the airbrush kit if you need many colours. And are really only useful for touching up tiny scratches and artwork lines.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Trade
Sale Pending!
Birmingham, AL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside