Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0403 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0434 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0409 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0428 (resized).jpeg
#1 10 months ago

Forgive me in advance, I’m a newbie to this. I recently picked up a #Gottlieb #Wipeout pinball - I’ve wanted one forever. It was very dirty so I’m attempting to clean up the playfield. While removing the starpost studs, one of them snapped off and is now stuck in the playfield/t-nut.

I’ve been researching for a while, and can’t seem to find a replacement for this exact post stud. Can anyone help me out? I’ve ordered a manual (not sure if it will include all part numbers for posts, etc.) and I’ve been googling forever, but can’t seem to find the correct size in stock anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve heard this is common in Gottlieb games as they used loctite and can easily snap. I’ve heard the best way to remove this is heating the t-nut with a soldering iron? Unfortunately, I can’t grab the post on the playfield side with pliers. I guess this is the second part of my question… What’s the best way to remove the stuck post without causing damage?

IMG_0409 (resized).jpegIMG_0409 (resized).jpegIMG_0428 (resized).jpegIMG_0428 (resized).jpegIMG_0434 (resized).jpegIMG_0434 (resized).jpeg
#2 10 months ago

Call Steve Young and tell him you didn't properly heat them up for safe removal

#3 10 months ago

Most/all posts on system 3 games have loctite. Heat up the t-nut under the playfield and post sticking out of the t-nut, and slowly unscrew the post. Crank the soldering iron up as high as it will go.

If any snap off, you'll just have to pound the t-nut out of the playfield and replace the t-nut and the post.

The gottlieb parts catalog should have pages with posts and sizes listed.

Some posts listed here:
https://www.pbresource.com/postscrew.html

It looks like the post you have is part # 20196. It's available from PBR and other suppliers.

#4 10 months ago

Thank you for the advice ForceFlow - that definitely looks like the post I’ve been searching for! I didn’t realize the tops were unthreaded until adding an acorn nut. Unfortunately, I had snap off right below the playfield. Ugh. I’m nervous about pounding it out. I tried tapping with a hammer & small screwdriver but it didn’t seem to budge. Should I pry from the underside at all or just hammer away? Any advice is appreciated!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Most/all posts on system 3 games have loctite. Heat up the t-nut under the playfield and post sticking out of the t-nut, and slowly unscrew the post. Crank the soldering iron up as high as it will go.
If any snap off, you'll just have to pound the t-nut out of the playfield and replace the t-nut and the post.
The gottlieb parts catalog should have pages with posts and sizes listed.
Some posts listed here:
https://www.pbresource.com/postscrew.html
It looks like the post you have is part # 20196. It's available from PBR and other suppliers.

#5 10 months ago

You didn't show the underside of the playfield, but if it is a T nut, then drive it out. Use a proper round punch and a hammer. Definitely no prying...that will just chew up the wood for no reason.

#6 10 months ago

Thanks GregCon it’s definitely a t nut on the underside. I’ll grab a round punch and give it a whack. I appreciate the advice.

Quoted from GregCon:You didn't show the underside of the playfield, but if it is a T nut, then drive it out. Use a proper round punch and a hammer. Definitely no prying...that will just chew up the wood for no reason.

IMG_0403 (resized).jpegIMG_0403 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.