(Topic ID: 251022)

Replacing Brass Contact/Rivet on ball count unit.

By gdonovan

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l500 (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Good Morning all!

Have a problem with a Gottlieb EM where the ball count unit has three brass contacts or rivets that have heavy wear in the centers. As an experiment I tried filling the divots with solder which solved the skipping problem.. for a month but the problem is back. Solder is pretty soft and I didn't have high expectations of success.

My question this morning is what is the best way to replace these three contacts? Does anyone sell the parts? Would a small brass machine screw work if the head was dressed down to the proper profile? A board search turned up nothing.

#2 4 years ago

PBR will sell you the rivets. Althou the ball count plate was very common for GTB, another suggestion is just to replace, put out an ask on the parts wanted thread.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

PBR will sell you the rivets. Althou the ball count plate was very common for GTB, another suggestion is just to replace, put out an ask on the parts wanted thread.

Even add a ball?

I don't mind replacing them, good skill to learn.

#4 4 years ago

Might be better off just finding another, try rixzilla. He has some laying around probably and ebay.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Might be better off just finding another, try rixzilla. He has some laying around probably and ebay.

Checked Ebay, nada.

#6 4 years ago

Ordinary solder is too soft but silver solder holds up well if you don't want to replace the rivets: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hearts-and-spades-always-a-ball-short#post-4519175

/Mark

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Ordinary solder is too soft but silver solder holds up well if you don't want to replace the rivets: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hearts-and-spades-always-a-ball-short#post-4519175
/Mark

Thanks, I knew I had seen that once but my search had come up empty handed as I had forgotten about the silver solder. Have to pick some up and give it a try. Was also thinking about the fastener pictured below.

s-l500 (resized).pngs-l500 (resized).png
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Thanks, I knew I had seen that once but my search had come up empty handed as I had forgotten about the silver solder. Have to pick some up and give it a try. Was also thinking about the fastener pictured below.[quoted image]

too much of a profile?

#9 4 years ago

Another “aye” from me on silver solder. I’ve used it to fix a bunch of wiper boards with worn contacts on them. The repairs hold up.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

too much of a profile?

Easy enough to file down.

1 week later
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Another “aye” from me on silver solder. I’ve used it to fix a bunch of wiper boards with worn contacts on them. The repairs hold up.

After doing some research I rummaged around my stash and found that I had silver bearing solder in my plumbing drawer. Now it might not be as hard as silver solder but it is much tougher than regular soldier. Tonight I cleaned the solder off, hit it with the plumbing solder & and the big watt gun and changed out the shoes and it is working great. I'll monitor over time and post results.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-brass-contact-rivet-on-ball-count-unit- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.