9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheNoTrashCougar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

Hello,
If there is corrosion, you will need to remove the battery holder and neutralize the board with vinegar. I am assuming that you know there is corrosion, but the machine works fine?

From there I would install a new battery holder and then get a "no solder" remote battery holder from Rob Anthony. http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm

That should keep it running for many years!

--Scott

#4 9 years ago

The reset issue is most likely due to your 5 volts dipping too low. If everything has been neutralized, I think you are safe to leave the current battery holder in place. You should, however, come up with a way to make or purchase a remote battery pack for this machine.

You can build you own, but I would not solder anything to the board unnecessarily. This does not mean that you cannot solder the wires directly to the board, I would just personally look for other, easily reversible, options.

Hope this helps! Congrats on the new game.

--Scott

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

The game should be directly supplying 5v to the MPU during game operation rather than be drawing it from the battery pack, so if something is causing the 5v to dip that indicates a problem on the MPU board.

The WPC driver board supplies the 5v to the MPU. I would check the test points on your MPU to see if the 5v is dipping. If so, then the transistor, bridge rectifier, or capacitors on the driver board could be the issue. If not, check the power connection from the driver board to the MPU and test the voltage on the MPU side.
--Scott

#10 9 years ago

That sounds more like you have an issue with your MPU. That picture you posted is also indicating that the alkaline from the leaking battery has NOT been neutralized and cleaned.

What do the chips look like below the battery holder?

--Scott

#12 9 years ago

OK. You can use a soldering iron to de-solder the battery holder, but you will need to pick up some solder wick. It is a brass material that will "soak" up the liquefied solder when you heat it up with the soldering iron.

Here is a video on how to use solder wick.

--Scott

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I would strongly suggest that you get the help of a professional to determine if that board is cost effectively repairable.

Agreed 100%

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 36.95
$ 84.99
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheNoTrashCougar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-battery-box?tu=TheNoTrashCougar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.