Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jlbintn
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20190130-172203~01 (resized).png
    IMG_9855 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9856 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20190129-181533 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vladtheimpaler-8.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Hey everyone, I just posted a new tutorial video on replacing batteries with a memory cap.
    Check it out here. Hope you enjoy it!
    http://pinballhelp.com/how-to-install-a-memory-capacitor-to-replace-a-battery-pack/

Awesome videos...I just watched both of them b/c I have a Gottlieb System 1 Dragon and a Williams Black Knight that I removed old batteries from and wanted to install memory capacitors for. Will this same capacitor you used work for both of my pins, and do I follow the same procedure for both per your video? Thanks for the awesome videos.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenH:

The board the OP was working on was a Bally -35. These boards do not have a blocking diode, so whenever the game is on, the capacitor (or battery, when they were original) is charging. Consequently, if you replace the factory battery on a Bally -35 with non-rechargeable batteries, you have to add a blocking diode.

Do you happen to know if a Williams System 7 (Black Knight) or Gottlieb System 1 (Dragon) would be compatible with a memory capacitor or how I could figure that out?

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenH:

The Williams will need 3 AA's. The current draw is too high to use a memory cap effectively. It may only hold the memory for a few days, if converted, and the blocking diode would have to be shorted, so the cap could charge.
    The Gottlieb should work with a memory cap.

ok, thanks KenH. Do you or anyone else happen to know of a good place to get a remote (3 AAA) battery holder that has built in diode protection? Marco has this one but it isn't in stock http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RBH073.

Pinball Resource doesn't sell them and Bay Area Amusements is out of stock with this one too. I wonder what Radio Shack might have in terms of memory capacitors or remote battery holders???

#24 10 years ago

awesome...thank you! What is the difference between 1 Farad and 1.5 Farad? I only ask b/c I have a bunch of other stuff in my basket waiting to be purchased from Marco, and they have a 1 Farad, 5.5 V Radial Memory Capacitor for sale, so would be easier just to add that to my order if it will work just the same.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

The difference is .5 farad . Storage of potential. 1F works quite well for computer memory chips I wouldn't sweat a 1F vs. 1.5F. Go for whatever is convenient/price/easy to get.

Nice! LOL Think I will go with the one at Marco then. Thanks again.

Quoted from toddsvec:

Got them in stock here too: http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/electronics/e_ecapacitors.htm#memcap
    Works great on Bally and Gottlieb System 1 boards.

I will add bigdaddy to my favorites. Always good to accumulate another vendor. Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vladtheimpaler-8.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-batteries-with-a-memory-capacitor?tu=vladtheimpaler-8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.