Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jlbintn
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20190130-172203~01 (resized).png
    IMG_9855 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9856 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20190129-181533 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

These days, a 6116 NVRAM's the way to go on Bally 6803 machines, regardless of who you buy it from. No need to turn the machine on periodically to keep a memory capacitor charged up, no worry about batteries. It may cost more up-front, but it's once and done.

Do you happen to have a link to some directions for installing NVRAM in a 6803 machine? I recently picked up an Eight Ball Champ, and I'd like to get that original rechargeable battery off of the board pronto.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

On the product page I show the location of the RAM chip being replaced on each type of MPU board and also mention any jumper changes necessary (no jumper changes needed for Bally 6803). The RAM is already in a socket, so it's plug-and-play... other than having to then reset things to Factory Defaults.
    https://www.pinitech.com/products/6116_nvram.php
    One hitch is this.. and I didn't modify the description for Bally 6803 machines *yet*. Another Pinsider reviewed the 6116 NVRAM he installed in Eight Ball Champ. Since it's an earlier game, it appears resetting things to factory defaults is different than I describe on the product page which was for a later Bally 6803 game. So on the earlier games, you'll have to follow the instructions in the manual to clear things out and set things properly once the NVRAM is installed.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6116-nvram-review

So it's as easy as popping out the old RAM chip, replacing it with the NVRAM module, and then resetting the game back to factory defaults? Once this is done, I can clip the rechargeable battery and I'm good to go?

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Yep. The NVRAM install is plug-and-play, swap the chip, make sure the orientation of the notch matches the notch on the old RAM chip, and you can clip the rechargeable battery.

I'm about to order the NVRAM. Just to be clear, I don't need to choose the "Include IC socket" option since the existing RAM on my Eight Ball Champ is already socketed. Is this correct?

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Right. No socket needed, unless you want an extra

Ordered. Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-batteries-with-a-memory-capacitor?tu=gweempose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.