Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jlbintn
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20190130-172203~01 (resized).png
    IMG_9855 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9856 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20190129-181533 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 5 years ago

I found that with my Bally games I can get at least 3 months memory retention. I think the long memory retention is due to using a PCD5101 at U8.

I read that the PCD5101 were the last 5101s that were manufactured & they were the most economical with current draw, quite a lot less than any other 5101s, so this makes them the best 5101s to use in this application. (Ed from GPE had mentioned this somewhere).

I found on a Williams system 6 game that I needed to install 2 x 1.5 farad caps in parallel to get decent retention as the Williams games seem to consume more current than the Bally games. The blocking diode is bypassed to allow current to flow to the caps. A resistor is also installed to slow the capacitor's charging rate. I think I get 2 months retention or so, which is great. The Bally games only needed a single 1.5 farad.

Personally I much prefer a memory capacitor to a coin battery for backup. (my Firepower had been already converted to a coin battery backup as can be seen with the holder) If a blocking diode fails & a coin battery receives a charge it can explode (apparently).
    So, essentially I guess you would be relying on a blocking diode alone not to fail.

Setup on my Firepower. Note a PCD5101 RAM is installed.
    IMG_9855 (resized).JPGIMG_9855 (resized).JPGIMG_9856 (resized).JPGIMG_9856 (resized).JPG

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

If you're not playing your games in 2 months, you're not doing it right.

Yes, good point, I agree!, but in this case the 2 months I was referring to was when I was away for that entire time & they wern't switched on at all, so this was a good time to test if the memory backup held up.

I also had a spare Bally mpu (out of the game) with a charged up memory cap, I tried that back in a game after about 3 months & the bookkeeping was fully retained.

Usually about 1 week max without having a game!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-batteries-with-a-memory-capacitor?tu=Joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.