5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dyno
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I need to replace some of the bare GI playfield wiring and was wondering what to use. There is no where locally I can find the tinned bare copper wire but I do have some 18 gauge black insulated copper wire, Also wire that is used to hang pictures can that be used as replacement for the bare GI wire, I know it is not copper but can it be used or am I better off using the black insulated copper wire I have. I read a post where the person used the bare wire used to hang pictures and said it worked fine. If I used the wire to hang pictures could I have problems down the road or would that be considered bad practice to use the picture wire.

#2 5 years ago

I'd use the insulated stuff. Don't go the ghetto route and use picture hanging wire. When I did a playfield swap on my pinbot I replaced that exposed GI wire with better insulated wire.

#3 5 years ago

You can buy the tinned copper wire from here:

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

There are other sources that may be less expensive. This tinned copper seems like the way to go.

Al

#4 5 years ago

I would prefer not to have to order and wire online since I don't need a whole bunch, would probably cost more in shipping than the wire. I don't have to replace all of it , just some of it is corroded and in rough shape. I was thinking of using the picture wire because it looks the same but know I am thinking of using the insulated wire because I assume it would be a better conductor and would be better since it is insulated. Did the manufactures use the bare wire because of cost?

#5 5 years ago

Haven't used picture wire myself, but others say it is harder to work with because it is less flexible and it will rust.

I used a slightly heavier gauge wire from Marco I think. It laid down fine, but it's pretty obvious it's thicker wire. It cost about 1/3 the price of Pinrestore's stuff, but if I had to do it again I would go with Pinrestore.

Bill

#6 5 years ago

Yeah I know what you mean about shipping costs! I usually wait until I need enough stuff to justify it. But then I think if I had to drive to the store (I live at least 45 min to 1 hour away from nearest store) the cost in gas is as much as shipping!

Another thought, the site I posted sells the wire by the foot so if you only need a few feet it would not be too expensive and a few feet of wire should be able to be put in an envelope and mailed for the cost of a stamp. If you called they might accommodate you by doing just that. Worth the phone call or email probably.

#7 5 years ago

That was one of my concerns with using picture wire is that it may rust or corrode down the road, I don't want to have to be re wiring the gi lights again down the road. I may just go with the insulated wiring I have.

#8 5 years ago

I ended up just using the 18 gauge black insulated copper wire I had, I rewired the GI lamps tonight. I picked up an air stapler last week and wow did it make it easy stapling down the new wire, great tool.Thanks all for your input.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 9,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    £ 12.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Magazines/books
    The Flipper Room

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside