• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F76975B7-364E-402B-9643-25DCBEF5BFCA (resized).jpeg
Bally Time Zone Flipper Assembly (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

My first pin was a Space Time many years ago and recently picked up a Time Zone. Yeah, there are better pins but I've always liked the pin.

I've torn apart, repaired and reassembled Gottlieb's, William's and Bally's.

My Time Zone does not have weak flippers as I can launch the ball back to the top of the playfield. But the flipper design struggles with accurate shots. I've read posts about high tapping, stronger coils or even Gottlieb coils as well.

I also have a Wizard. The flipper feel and ball control is much better with that flipper mechanism design compared to the earlier flipper design used in the Tome Zone from 1973. The TZ flippers are just squishy relative to the momentum of the pinball as it makes contact with the flipper bat. Hard to expalin but if you've played an old Bally you know what I mean.

Before I make the purchase, has anyone upgraded the old linear flipper design to the later design on a Bally? I'm not sure if they are easily swapped or if the newer design won't fit at all.

A link to the later linear design.

https://www.thepinballwizard.net/flipper-parts/full-left-flipper-assembly-for-classic-bally-machines-05/1975-to-04/1980/

The picture is added for refernce and is the condition prior to tear down and cleaning when I purchased the pin.

Thank you.
Bally Time Zone Flipper Assembly (resized).jpgBally Time Zone Flipper Assembly (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Did you replace the flipper links? If the holes get worn in the links and they have too much play, you can get that "squishy" feeling you describe.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Did you replace the flipper links? If the holes get worn in the links and they have too much play, you can get that "squishy" feeling you describe.

Yes, full rebuild kits that included new links.

#4 1 year ago

This post may be useful:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/11#post-1855100

One thing I might try, before a complete rebuild, would be the external spring mod.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

This post may be useful:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/11#post-1855100
One thing I might try, before a complete rebuild, would be the external spring mod.

I looked at that too when looking for solutions. The flipper design on the TZ is different, no nylon roller as in Vid’s example.

I looked at my Wizard flipper assembly and it is not the same as seen in the link.

Went ahead and ordered those flipper assemblies and will see if the will work.

#6 1 year ago

Please update, as I’ll be shopping a Time Zone this fall. Following.

2 weeks later
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

Please update, as I’ll be shopping a Time Zone this fall. Following.

Yes, they do fit but I had to remove the lower GI lights at the slings. The old bracket is asymmetrical while the new is a rectangle. I will add another light socket and update when I receive the parts order and a bit of time.

Is it worth it? For me, absolutely. Lower playfield action is faster and now can easily launch the ball back to the top of the playfield. More accurate ball control and not squishy feeling any longer.

F76975B7-364E-402B-9643-25DCBEF5BFCA (resized).jpegF76975B7-364E-402B-9643-25DCBEF5BFCA (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-bally-time-zone-stock-linear-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.