(Topic ID: 313105)

Replacing Backglass - Anything Needed to Adhere Film to Glass?

By Markharris2000

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I am going to swap the Translite on my Jurassic Park (Stern) and realized that all these years later I have never swapped one. Does it all just fit together and stay in place by the plastic channel pressure, or does the backlit graphic have something that adheres it to the glass, perhaps the translite is adhered at the edges? Silly simple question, just never done one before.

#2 2 years ago

Nope, just lay it down on the glass and put on the trim. It will cling to the glass to some degree and the trim will help it stay put.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nope, just lay it down on the glass and put on the trim. It will cling to the glass to some degree and the trim will help it stay put.

Perfect! That's all I needed to know before I remove the existing glass and plastic channels. I plan to roll-up the origi OEM Translite and keep it with the machine...

#4 2 years ago

Stern uses a thin 3M two sided clear tape (edge of glass to back of translite) to help hold the translite to the glass, which then helps the trim adhere to the translite/glass combo.

All WPC pins I ever had never used any tape.....so both can work.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Perfect! That's all I needed to know before I remove the existing glass and plastic channels. I plan to roll-up the origi OEM Translite and keep it with the machine...

Be careful not to roll it up too tightly or it may split.

If it's an older translite, don't roll it up at all--keep it flat. Translites tend to get brittle with age.

#6 2 years ago

Tonight I took the translite out of this 2021 Jurassic Park to take a look and it DOES appear to have a narrow piece of double sided tape along the edge of the glass and translite. I left it alone. I think I’ll keep the original glass and the affixed translite intact and store it aside safely, and then just get another piece of 1/8” glass cut ($20 from my local guy) and use some 3M 1/4-wide double sided roller (Scotch #6061) on the edge of the new glass to adhere the new translite.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-backglass-anything-needed-to-adhere-film-to-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.