(Topic ID: 222437)

Replacing a transformer, what to do, what to do?

By Oldgoat

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

OK, I purchased a 1940's shuffleboard scoreboard that was in bad shape. My hope was to eventually convert to battery (I started a thread on that here: https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-to-battery#post-4521744

However, my initial step was to try to get things working as intended. Not an easy task since pretty much every wire was cut/missing to the Jones plug that connects the power source to the coils and lamps (Basically, there are three mechanical devices for the scoreboard. All std score type steppers with two coils...one to increment and one to reset. One increments to light a lamp for Home score, one shows visitor score and the third is for coin-up) Other than that, a couple of buzzers and lots of lamps. Alas the transformer is shot. At one point, it seemed to be producing voltage (3 lugs showing 33, 45 and 49 VAC) but not enough power to even power a 44 lamp. Later testing (change multimeter battery) and I've got nada.

So, I'm looking at getting a new (to me) transformer. This is not a manufacturere anyone has heard of, so I'm flying blind. The coils are all marked 116-K-304 11 OHMS. Can't find any reference to these either.

Anyhow, before I just take a wild guess on a transformer off of e-bay, I'm sure someone here can help make my wild guess an educated one.

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

are the coils like ones in a 80's pinball machine?
    If so I would change all the coils like lest say a bally (example "24-800) and get a used bally transformer/ power supply.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

are the coils like ones in a 80's pinball machine?
    If so I would change all the coils like lest say a bally (example "24-800) and get a used bally transformer/ power supply.

I was thinking about heading down that path. The coils are in great shape, activate just fie with a 9-volt battery. However, the sleeves are pressed into the coil, so they cannot be removed. Now, given my desire to eventually convert this to battery, how does (or doesn't) that change your thinking about what coils to use. (By the way, they are large coils and I don't want to have to re-engineer all the brackets, to get them to work properly)

#4 5 years ago

how many coils have to be activated at the same time?
    If they work just fine on a 9 volt battery, will they work ok on 12v?
    If yes, maybe a small motorcycle battery would do the trick.
    And for a alternate option a small car charger to use when plugged in to ac.

If you have some bad coils, you might be able to use the bad coil and wind your own replacement.

just a thought.

#5 5 years ago

I think the coils are all fine. Yes, just one fires at a time. 9V pulls the coil without the spring attached. I assume motorcycle battery would definitely have enough punch although room may be an issue.

#6 5 years ago

The best thing would be to get a variable power supply and just crank it up until the steppers work fine. Really you're going to be limited by your battery selection though, so maybe just get some batteries and see what works...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-a-transformer-what-to-do-what-to-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.