• Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Connect_PI1X4_eng_s (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fileoffset.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 3 years ago

Hey gang,

I am very new to pinball and recently got a Sinbad machine. Being an idiot, I plugged the unkeyed power cable in upside down and completely melted my Small Transformer - what a design!

Someone had already replaced the main board with a Ni-Wumpf and after reading all the comments on this thread and the pinwiki, attempting to bypass the Small Transformer seemed like the best option (especially when they are so hard to find). So I ordered a Boston Pinball Company LED kit v8, which arrived yesterday.

Here is what I did today:

- Cut all the wires to the small transformer, terminated them all and then removed the small transformer
- Unplugged and removed the power board, which was toast. I also desoldered the A1-J1 connector from the board so I could reuse it
- Removed all the old displays and installed the new LED displays
- Installed the Brightness Control Board as instructed (except there is no power board to plug A2-J3 in to - come back to this)
- My machine didn't have a service port wired in for some reason, so I hard-wired a small powerboard in temporarily (I will swap this for a proper double power point later)
- Found an old 5V/2A switching DC power supply, plugged in to power board and checked the voltage and polarity. Then I soldered the +5 to pins 5-6 and ground to pins 3-4 pins of the A1-J1 connector, which sorts out the Ni-Wumpf
- While I was there, I also added two more leads from the +5 and ground, which had to be connected to pin 7 and pin 5 respectively on A2-J3, which sorts out the displays
- Plug in power pack supplied with the LED kit and connect it to the Brightness Control Board

Machine boots and plays! Displays are super sharp, couldn't be happier.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who commented - I would probably still be looking for a Small Transformer otherwise

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fileoffset.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-a-dead-small-transformer-with-led-displays-amp-power-supply?tu=fileoffset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.