Led (resized).jpg
DSC01302 (resized).JPG
DSC01300 (resized).JPG
DSC01296 (resized).JPG
RB108 (resized).jpg
RB77 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello to all!

Haven't posted in a while; ever since I got my childhood machine ('64 Williams River Boat) rejuvenated & operating properly, I haven't really had any questions, so I haven't been around here much.

Anyway, I managed to stubble across some replacement plastics for my machine, which excites me greatly as the originals in my machine are in fair (at best) condition. But I got to thinking: while I have the machine opened up and the plastics are off, this would be a great time to consider replacing the #44's with LED equivalents. I think there's a lot of upside to doing so...less heat, less current draw...but having searched & read a lot of posts here, I find myself confused.

Frosted? Clear? Warm white? Bright white? "non ghosting" (which I have no idea what it means...)

Like everything in life, I'm sure there's no "one right answer", still it would be great to get some input from all of you.

So that's the question: "what LEDs should I put in my machine?"

Thanks in advance...I appreciate the help!

#2 3 years ago

I can see putting some LED’s in later EM’s, but not a ‘64 River Boat. If your concerned about heat and watt usage, switch to 47’s. You will completely lose the classic look of the machine if you put LED’s in it, but if you must, you go with the warm white ones.

I addition, you only have one machine. Power consumption shouldn’t be that much of an issue.

#3 3 years ago

I used to hate LED's but I like the Comet retro sunlight's. I keep meaning to get the warm whites from them as well to experiment with.

It really brightened up my Volley and prevented further heat damage to the backglass.

They are a TAD brighter than incandescent, but there's just no heat buildup any longer.

#4 3 years ago

I also agree to stick with incandescents and make them #47s if you have to.

#5 3 years ago

I used to think hat LEDs were the best but now I usually stick with incandescents in older games. I actually like #44s on my playfield because they are brighter (I like to see the playfield!) but I usually put #47s in the backbox and anywhere that doesn't need a brighter light.

That being said there is nothing wrong with trying stuff out! I like Comet LEDs and I would stay away from bright white. I like the sunlight color but it is still "whiter" than an incandescent. The retro lamps from comet are pretty nice and the 1 SMD are a bit brighter. If you can see the bulb you should get frosted for sure. In the backbox I also like frosted. If you get clear and you want frosted you can always scuff them up a bit with sandpaper!

If you don't leave your machine on all the time #44s will probably be fine! With new plastics though I could see being careful with the heat!

Good Luck!

#6 3 years ago

For a look that is close to incandescent, go with the 1SMD frosted warm whites from Comet. 2SMD is too bright.

I would not use cool white, too bright.

#7 3 years ago

Go with #47 bulbs, LED's are out of place in a 60's game.

#8 3 years ago

I'll just pile on by saying please don't put LEDs in an old EM like this.

The heat rationale just doesn't hold up in a home use game. It did on location where the lamps were on for hours. Not the case in home.

It's your game so you can certainly do it if you want. No matter how good they make them they still look like 2000s technology in a 1960s game. Just doesn't fit.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'll just pile on by saying please don't put LEDs in an old EM like this.
The heat rationale just doesn't hold up in a home use game. It did on location where the lamps were on for hours. Not the case in home.
It's your game so you can certainly do it if you want. No matter how good they make them they still look like 2000s technology in a 1960s game. Just doesn't fit.

Yep.

#10 3 years ago

Stick with the 44s. 47s are too dim. You’ll never hurt your new plastic set unless you leave your game turned on for 10 hours every day. Even then, it would take years for the heat to wear them down.

But I will say that LED options for EMs are getting better and better, and will eventually be the only viable choice. There’s no big-volume, big-money left in producing incandescent bulbs, so the makers will continue to sacrifice quality to maintain margins. Which means we’re replacing bulbs more frequently, especially 455s. Comet now has a separate category for substituting 455 bulbs with flasher LEDs. This is only happening because EM customers are now supporting them. Eventually I would like to see our niche market grow to the point there is a dedicated LED supplier that is focused entirely on superior solutions for EM enthusiasts.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

There’s no big-volume, big-money left in producing incandescent bulbs, so the makers will continue to sacrifice quality to maintain margins.

That's true I forgot how bad the quality has gotten on bulbs. I save all my old bulbs anyway so I'll have a lifetime supply, I used to always change every bulb with a new one when I got a machine in, but the quality was so bad on the new ones I stopped and just change the blackened top ones for other spares.

Next comet order I'm going to get some warms, certain colors definitely don't look good with even the sunlight ones.

#12 3 years ago

Comet 2 SMD sunlight white. LEDs have all the benefits like you said in your original post. If you don't want it as bright, then go with 1 SMD sunlight. Frosted top.

If you want more yellowy glow, then go with warm white.

#13 3 years ago

I put warm white retro led's in my River Boat, and didn't like them at all. They are just way too bright, and way too white.

RB77 (resized).jpgRB77 (resized).jpg
RB108 (resized).jpgRB108 (resized).jpg

When I get a chance to I'll be changing out the GI, and insert bulbs with 44/47's. I think I'm going to keep the warm white 1smd frosted bulbs in the head as I think they diffuse the light better than incandescents do.

The 44/47's will give the machine a nice warm look that looks great and just fits the era, and won't make it look out of place like the pics above.

-Paul

Oh yeah... good luck with your River Boat! It's a great game!

#14 3 years ago

Titan pinball offers a good frosted bulb.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Which means we’re replacing bulbs more frequently, especially 455s. Comet now has a separate category for substituting 455 bulbs with flasher LEDs. This is only happening because EM customers are now supporting them..

Which LED bulb is the substitute for 455’s. I just checked there website and don’t see a 6v flasher with the proper base.

#17 3 years ago

Hi,
I really don't like leds on EM's with results like that :
Led (resized).jpgLed (resized).jpg

I'm testing this prototype made by a friend of mine on a Mad World Bally. Works for EM or SS pinballs (AC or DC current). One model for lamps that go through the playfield, one for insert lamps.
Almost no difference with original lamps.
And you don’t need a (F.. on Bally) lamp socket anymore…
DSC01296 (resized).JPGDSC01296 (resized).JPGDSC01300 (resized).JPGDSC01300 (resized).JPG
DSC01302 (resized).JPGDSC01302 (resized).JPG
DSC01303 (resized).JPGDSC01303 (resized).JPG

I've asked few friends to try to locate the only 2 leds I've installed on my Mad World and none of them found the 2 leds.

#18 3 years ago

Traditional 47s all the way for me. Here in the UK, there are some who are putting coloured LEDs into EMs which makes them look more like a Christmas tree. No way, Josè!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

Traditional 47s all the way for me. Here in the UK, there are some who are putting coloured LEDs into EMs which makes them look more like a Christmas tree. No way, Josè!

There is an exception on Gottlieb EM pinballs. 6 V lamps that are on the 24 Vac circuit with a resistance in serie. #47 bulb will not work. Must use a #44 !
On a Cleopatra EM for example:
Image1 (resized).jpgImage1 (resized).jpg

I agree with you for EM Christmas trees, no way !

#20 3 years ago

sure seems like sticking with #44s is the majority opinion. I guess I never gave much thought to how long they're lit up in my basement vs. if the machine were on 12 hours a day in an arcade. I suppose the heat concern is most likely a non-issue.

Thanks, guys! I think I'll leave well enough for the time being.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-44-lamps-with-leds-could-use-some-expert-advice?hl=ballycrazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.