New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 79757)

Replacing 23-800 coil with 23-600 on Elvira?

By BadBrad97

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BadBrad97
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20140206_191409_426.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I replaced the coil on the chute that launches the balls into the pop bumper area during multi-ball with the factory 23-800 but it still isn't strong enough to clear the wall about half the time.

Would it be advisable to go up to a 23-600 or would you not go that far, maybe a 23-650, or 23-700?

#3 6 years ago

Bumping up the strength of my coil there is on my list too, so annoying when they just miss and dribble straight down the middle.

#4 6 years ago

Don't seem to have that problem (yet) so I will look at what coil is currently in that spot. I do get an occasional ball that jumps up onto the ledge in front of Deadheads though when getting kicked out.

#5 6 years ago

You could just remove some windings. Take 100 turns off and you are at 23-700.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

You could just remove some windings. Take 100 turns off and you are at 23-700.

I have always wanted to try that. This might be a good chance. I will order a couple more coils too just in case.

I will probably lose count and take off 400.

#7 6 years ago

23-800's also on mine,but will be interested to see how you resolve this,keep us posted.

#8 6 years ago

I should be attempting removing some windings tonight. I will keep you posted.

#9 6 years ago

Success!

Before working on the coil, I replaced the coil sleeve, made sure there was no slop in the plunger and that everything on the coil was tight and that the ball was being struck in the center by the plunger. (I adjusted it to center and it helped a little)

With the standard 23-800 coil the ball landed in the pop area about 20% of the time.
Removing 100 rounds of the winding (23-700) the ball landed in the pop area about 70% of the time. (big improvement)
Removing another 100 rounds of the winding (23-600) the ball landed in the pop area about 90% of the time.

I would be afraid to try 23-500 because occasionally the ball actually lands all the way across the pop area but usually it just glances the top of the first plastic or bounces off the edge of the left pop bumper.

I printed up a 23-600 label so I don't forget what the coil is... hope this helps

IMG_20140206_191409_426.jpg

#11 6 years ago

Definitely will keep this trick in mind if I start having those issues down the road.

#12 6 years ago

Strange.
My coil on Elvira is original and the ball enters the popbumper area all the time. 23-800 is a normal coil on those games and should do the trick all the time.

Isn't something else wrong? Some assembly issue or wiring issue?
Connectors on the power supply showing cracks in the soldering or something like that?

#13 6 years ago

Checked all the connections and stuff. On mine, it seems that sometimes the ball doesn't sit square in front of the plunger. Sometimes it sits forward, sometimes it sits up against the plunger, sometimes the last ball rolls down and bounces back up a little. Seems with the stronger coil it shoots it all the way to the pop no matter where the ball sits.

I have noticed that my switches in that area are REALLy hard to push in. That could also have something to do with it. In fact, they are so hard to push in, that the switch actually pushes the ball up or back sometimes.

I need to work on that.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

I have noticed that my switches in that area are REALLy hard to push in. That could also have something to do with it. In fact, they are so hard to push in, that the switch actually pushes the ball up or back sometimes.

Likely replaced with the wrong one. I'd get a new switch in there.

LTG : )

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

On mine, it seems that sometimes the ball doesn't sit square in front of the plunger. Sometimes it sits forward, sometimes it sits up against the plunger, sometimes the last ball rolls down and bounces back up a little.

Looks like that's the problem. The center of the ball should rest against the moving part. Then the moving force is optimal.
I know there are switches that are very easily pushed in, that probably solves your problem.

#16 6 years ago

There is definitely something going on in that trough. Sometimes the balls move up into the ball launch lane and don't push the switches in and the machine loses them.

Gotta work on this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside