• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
20150929_204800_(resized).jpg
cowboy_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Model237.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

Just curious, does anyone sell reproduction backboxes? If so, how much?

#7 8 years ago

I was thinking maybe there's a business opportunity offering repro backboxes, broken down in an Ikea-style flatpack for ease of shipping. Made from the correct woods, etc.

Hard for the receiver to glue up nice and square though.

#13 8 years ago

Is that your work or the cabinet guy? That's a small fortune invested in parallel clamps! I'm going to have to settle for pipe clamps on my upcoming cab glue-up.

Sure, if you're making one might as well bang out another few, if there's demand. I don't personally need one, but it would be a great resource. My 64 Gottlieb BB was all solid poplar glued up from 6"+ wide pieces. I wonder when plywood took over.

Btw what kind of cab is that? Looks like varnished wood. Is that original? I think it would be neat to concoct a "fine woodworking" pinball, maybe a steampunk brass and mahogany kinda deal.

#14 8 years ago

Or if someone has developed the G-code for CNC - just farm it out to a local shop for cutting!

#18 8 years ago

Hey Wood Doctor - nice work. Are those turning blanks in back?

#24 8 years ago

Very nice! Never seen a Flipper Cowboy in person.

As much as I like natural wood, it just looks wrong on a pin.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

For the kit? Maybe $90. Once you have all the pieces cut it doesnt take much. However the kit is really not to feasible. The face goes on last and a router is used to cut it down to the shape, may be a little tricky to cut face exact before hand.

Yeah, it might be hard to make a kit work. Easier to just ship the thing already assembled - no risk of things not lining up.

Maybe depends on the type of backbox? My '64 Big Top bb is a relatively sophisticated piece of woodworking, and the solid wood construction probably needed final adjusting due to moisture content differences, knot holes, etc.

Did the later, all-ply cabs get simpler for ease of assembly (i.e. less labor)? My '67 Sing Along is still solid wood, but simpler than the 64.

1 week later
#31 8 years ago

Wow Steve, I hadn't seen your Target Pool resto - great work, holy crap! I'm headed in the same direction hopefully with my Big Top - cab wood repair/replace, repaint, webbing, everything.

My head had similar moisture problems, but with solid wood swelling at the edges instead of plywood delamination. I opted to keep the original wood and plane it flat again (jointer made is easy), but I would have swapped in new wood with no regrets. It did require some bondo to get it smooth again, also to fill other voids & dings. I expect you'd have to slather a few pounds of bondo to get any noticeable difference in acoustics, but to each their own. I prefer a smooth-ish finish if I'm going to go the effort, and I consider I'm bringing this thing back from the dead anyway - the damage done before I got there!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Model237.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-wedgehead-backbox?tu=Model237 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.