3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by jj44114
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fake (resized).jpg
    IMG_0589.JPG

#1 3 years ago

Which capacitor should I use to replace the old capacitors on playfield switches on older Bally pins such as 8 ball deluxe?

#3 3 years ago

This is what I have in mine. I was having problems with them being removed on my Gold Ball so the targets were really picky about working, glancing blows, scrapes, lower velocity usually always picked up, anything with high speed (flipper shot, pop bumper) would ignore it almost every single time (same on the star roll overs.) Got these installed, hasn't missed a bit.

IMG_0589.JPG
    #4 3 years ago

Big Daddy (http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com) sells 0.047uF 50 Volt Ceramic Capacitor for these in a 20 pack for about $3.25. Problem is you'd have to buy $30.00 worth to reach their minimum order...

#5 3 years ago

GPE has them for $0.20 and no minimum order. Part # CCD-0.047uF-50V.

https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=27

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

GPE has them for $0.20 and no minimum order. Part # CCD-0.047uF-50V.
    https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=27

Thought there was a $5 minimum order...

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from danczaz:

Thought there was a $5 minimum order...

Ah, looks like you're right. Still, way easier to hit that than $30.

#9 3 years ago

The one cent ones from Tayda work well. Tayda has great prices for your run of the mill components like ceramic caps.

If you want to one off order. I would look at ebay. Axial caps are probably easier to mount.

ebay.com link » 100 Pcs 047uf 50v 20 Z5u Axial Ceramic Mlcc Capacitors Sa055e473maa Avx

#10 3 years ago

For what its worth, when we were operating Classic Bally pins, the caps liked to break off at the solder joint. When I would replace them, I would leave the leads full length and wrap them around a small allen wrench to form a "spring" and then solder the ends to the lugs. Never had another cap break off once done like that. Buy this might be harder to do today since many disc caps are sold with super short leads.

2 years later
    #11 8 months ago

I know this is an old thread. Is 470pf the same as .047uf?

#12 8 months ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Is 470pf the same as .047uf?

No 470pf is the same as .00047pf.

#13 8 months ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

No 470pf is the same as .00047pf.

Of course he meant .00047
    uF I'm sure. Probably a typo.

Here is a sight I found with a nice little chart.

http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

#14 8 months ago

It is MF - F - mF - uF - nF - pF

If im not mistaken.

Mega - Farad - milli - micro - nano - pico

And technically, the u in microFarad is actually a symbol rhat looks like a lower case u, but jas a longer tail on it....not that it's important. Lol

There are others inbetween (like Kilofarad; half way between MF and F), but I dont think they are too common for our use

#16 8 months ago

I wonder how big a one Mega-Farad capacitor would be...

#17 8 months ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Of course he meant .00047
    uF I'm sure.

#18 8 months ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

I wonder how big a one Mega-Farad capacitor would be...

I recently saw an article about a new design allowing much more power storage in a smaller space, but I honestly can't imagine the size it would still have to be.

I was obviously just showing there is a scale both directions of the Farad...though not directly relavent. I have a tendancy to over answer things I'm told

Until they can get a MegaFarad capacitor small enough to fit in a Delorean, I don't have a use for one anyway

7 months later
    #20 5 days ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

I recently saw an article about a new design allowing much more power storage in a smaller space, but I honestly can't imagine the size it would still have to be.
    I was obviously just showing there is a scale both directions of the Farad...though not directly relavent. I have a tendancy to over answer things I'm told
    Until they can get a MegaFarad capacitor small enough to fit in a Delorean, I don't have a use for one anyway

Size is based on the technology used. If we never designed smaller transistors and came up with the integrated circuit, computers would be as big as office buildings. A 10,000 Farad graphene supercapacitor created by Sunvault Energy is powerful enough to power up a Semi Truck while being the size of a paperback novel.

#21 5 days ago

MLCC has seemingly come a long way.
    You can get a 10uF cap with good specs in a pretty damn small size.

My thing is the crazy decimal points and using MICRO farads.

Why not nano farad. It is lot easier to keep track of capacitors by number system 105, 104, 223, etc... and not go back and forth between pico and buncha decimal points 0.0003uF. nF!

#22 5 days ago

I used to think about capacitors in my car audio set up way back in the late 90s/ early 2000s. The 1 farad caps are still as big as i remember them lol. Totally off topic I know, but since you were all talking about how small they've gotten, I'm somewhat surprised that the larger car audio caps are still as big as they are.

#23 5 days ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I used to think about capacitors in my car audio set up way back in the late 90s/ early 2000s. The 1 farad caps are still as big as i remember them lol. Totally off topic I know, but since you were all talking about how small they've gotten, I'm somewhat surprised that the larger car audio caps are still as big as they are.

The only reason for that is "pose value" and marketing - it certainly isn't for electronic reasons.

#24 5 days ago

Heck yeah!! Big subs gotta have a big cap!
    Maybe even some useless leds and even a meter of some type to look at!

#25 5 days ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

You never know what lives inside of those big caps....until they cut them open

fake (resized).jpg

#26 5 days ago

Chinois!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 299.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Tim's Pinball Mods
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 93.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 53.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 5.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside