(Topic ID: 91346)

Replacement Standoff for the Bally Rectifier Board?

By m00dawg

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by m00dawg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I recent replaced the rectifier board in a Dolly Parton with a Rottendog. It took a while but swapping the wires around wasn't actually all that bad. The problem I am having though is that the plastic standoffs are shot. The old board stayed mounted because of the rectifiers being screwed into the metal plane. But on the rottendog, the rectifiers are mounted the other direction so I have no such cheat.

Anyone know where I can find replacement standoffs? I noticed plastic ones were used, I assume by design?

#3 9 years ago

Check around at electronics surplus places if you have one locally. PCB standoffs are pretty common parts. Even if you can't find the EXACT one, you could probably get away with using a flat-faced standoff, some of the super-super-strong 3m double sided adhesive tape, and mounting it to the metal plate that way. I'm assuming it's in the same place as the Sterns...down in the bottom of the cab, right?

#4 9 years ago

Bally's are usually in the head above the transformer. At least on the ones I owned.

#5 9 years ago

Yeah I saw those but it wasn't on the list of games. Seems like they should work though?

@Frax: I thought about the 3rd adhesive posts but since it is the power board I was worried about the consequences of it falling onto the transformer. They do stick pretty well though I'll admit.

#6 9 years ago

So went ahead and ordered some of those stand-offs. We'll see how that goes, though now it gets me to part 2. I live kinda far from the actual machine. I pulled the whole power module so now I'm wondering - I can likely test this outside of the machine by supplying 120VAC to the drive terminals on the transformer yeah?

#7 9 years ago

Uh...yeah. If it might fall onto the transf...no way I'd trust the 3m tape. lol.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Uh...yeah. If it might fall onto the transf...no way. lol.

Well I'm not going to be testing it before that sucker is mounted Actually, I /could/ test it that way. The problem with testing it while in the head was because the cables wouldn't reach the board when laying it down. Only way I could test it then is with it mounted properly and those standoffs just weren't having any for that. The wires soldered to the board from the transformer were pushing it off the standoffs, which weren't helping at all to keep the board where it was.

For testing it though, all I need to do is give it AC at the right pins and check the test pads yeah? All that's really going to test is making sure I didn't hook the wires to the board in the wrong order

#9 9 years ago

Plastic wall anchors could work in a pinch. The ones similar to what is used to hold the clear plastic shield on the power supply board.

#10 9 years ago

I have used these more than once after replacing all the bridges. Most people probably have extras of these laying around it. playfield spacer spool #8.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8371

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I have used these more than once after replacing all the bridges. Most people probably have extras of these laying around it. playfield spacer spool #8.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8371

Is that for just using normal screws with it basically? Or, I know this might sound like a silly question, but how do you use it

#12 9 years ago

Long machine screws and nuts.

#13 9 years ago

Aha ok so it's kinda like a collar or hollow stand-off, got it thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-standoff-for-the-bally-rectifier-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.