You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

strips (resized).png
cords (resized).png
conditioner (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I want to replace the power cord on my early 80's machines (Centaur, Flash Gordon, Fathom, etc.), as the original cords have become brittle over the past 40 years. I expect to use 3-prong/polarized cords -basically using available extension cords. WHAT should I use? Gauge (16?), Amp (15?), Volt (125?), Watt (1875?). Not sure if those are minimums or more than a I need; I have another machine that already had the cord replaced and the tag has those stats. Is it adequate or super-adequate? Thanks!

#3 1 year ago

Thanks, @LTG. I read the guide and see that 14-16 gauge should work just fine and 15a is also more than enough. I just haven't seen anywhere about the voltage or watts. Shouldn't a standard cord be more than enough for a machine??

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from insertcoin:

I just haven't seen anywhere about the voltage or watts

Amperage/current and gauge are usually the most important things. Watts doesn't matter at all in this context. Voltage is standard residential wall outlet voltage (110-120v).

Just to throw in another variable, sometimes you need a round cord, sometimes a flat style one.

Round: https://www.pinballlife.com/15-foot-power-cord-with-stripped-end.html

I think I got the flat style electrical cord from PBR, but I'm not 100% sure: http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

#5 1 year ago

Gauge and length are the only considerations. Euro games run on higher voltage, lower amperage. US games lower voltage, more amps. 15 foot 16 gauge cord is fine. Any longer get a 14 gauge cord. Don't use power strips if your voltage fluctuates considerably.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Don't use power strips if your voltage fluctuates considerably.

First time I've heard that.

I always use surge protector power strips.

If you are having serious problems with voltage fluctuations, you may want to look into power conditioners.

#7 1 year ago

First time I've heard that.
I always use surge protector power strips.
If you are having serious problems with voltage fluctuations, you may want to look into power conditioners.

Wow. I guess there IS more to consider than I originally thought -thanks! Strips, conditioners and cords. Okay, I'm new to this but I think I found some pretty good ones...

strips (resized).pngstrips (resized).pngconditioner (resized).pngconditioner (resized).pngcords (resized).pngcords (resized).png
#8 1 year ago

Just buy the right size replacement at Home Depot there is no magic here.

#9 1 year ago

The thermistor in the power box is the built in surge protector. I've fixed a couple of games that have been hit. Thermistor completely smoked both times due to power company surges. Replace it and game works 100%. Pinball engineers figured out a long time ago that surges can happen and added a 10¢ part to protect the entire game. It works.

A Kill-a-Watt meter (about $25, Harbor Freight, Amazon) plugged into any outlet is a good way to easily monitor your house voltage all day. 4 - 7pm on hot days is when you'll likely see dips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-power-cord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.