New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 268023)

Replacement or Repairing Jones Plugs

By ibis

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by ibis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

I have a Aztec with a smashed plug, its a 24 pin plug(12 in each row). I know these are not available anymore unless used from another game. Not sure if PBR has any, but if not, what is the alternate solution? Just re-build the connection with a square connector?

#2 5 months ago
Quoted from ibis:

what is the alternate solution?

You could put a want ad up in Market.

#3 5 months ago

There are some for sale on ebay

#4 5 months ago

i bought a game once where the jones connectors had been cut from the head and wired individually . i ended up converting it to 3 molex connectors .

#5 5 months ago
Quoted from singlezero:

i ended up converting it to 3 molex connectors .

What kind did you use? Trying to figure out something permanent for the Granada I just re-connected after the same thing.

#6 5 months ago

I'd go with 0.093 connectors, make sure to get plugs and receptacles, and male and female pins. Here's great plains electronics selections in that size:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=46

Actually, on second thought the 0.062 may be a better selection for smaller gauge wires. Here's their selection of those too:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=51

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from frunch:

Actually, on second thought the 0.062 may be a better selection for smaller gauge wires. Here's their selection of those too:

So, these are individual connections?

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from ibis:

I have a Aztec with a smashed plug, its a 24 pin plug(12 in each row). I know these are not available anymore unless used from another game. Not sure if PBR has any, but if not, what is the alternate solution? Just re-build the connection with a square connector?

Yea just put a request on the parts wanted thread. I may even have one. It does take a little work to replace. Original is always the best solution.

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from currieddog:

So, these are individual connections?

Depends how many connections you need to make. You can make a connector with as few as 2 connections/wires, or as many as 15 (based on what g.p.e has in stock at the moment). You'd need to buy male plugs and female receptacles, male pins, female pins, and a crimping tool if you don't have one.

#10 5 months ago

I got a used one from PBR.
No problem.

E

#11 5 months ago

I found a source, just waiting on getting the game torn down to figure out what other parts and things needed. I thought about the molex plugs, its a good solution, just not original. If someone had a game ripped though and many were missing, the Molex connection-type would be the way to go.

#12 5 months ago
Quoted from ibis:

I found a source, just waiting on getting the game torn down to figure out what other parts and things needed. I thought about the molex plugs, its a good solution, just not original. If someone had a game ripped though and many were missing, the Molex connection-type would be the way to go.

Stay with the Jones plug rebuild. I have always been able to find the parts to rebuild a jones plug. Yes, it could be tedious to desolder the wires from the broken plug and resolder them to the replacement used plug. To me, that effort to keep the game original is always worthy.

2 weeks later
#13 4 months ago

Agreed MikeO!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Medina, NY
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 295.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Art of Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Lighting - Backbox
Great American Pinball
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 115.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside