(Topic ID: 285519)

Replacement Monitor For Taito Space Invaders (Standup)

By JohnSteed

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

space invaders taito monitor board 1 (resized).png
space invaders taito monitor 1 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have an original Taito Space Invaders video game with a bad monitor. I can play the game for about a minute or so and then the picture on the screen starts shaking from side to side rapidly. I heard some people replaced their old black and white monitor with a 19" LCD TV. Anyone know which TV brand and model would work? The Taito Space Invaders uses a black and white monitor with a mirror image reflected onto a mirror, so the replacement TV would need to have that mirror image capability.

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Have you tried to adjust the sync when this happens? Putting a LCD in is far from a plug and play operation. There’s no substitute for a good ole CRT.

#3 3 years ago

If the picture is otherwise sharp and bright, no need to replace the monitor. But it most probably needs to have a new set of electrolytic capacitors installed.

Of course, first try adjusting the sync trimmers as suggested.

#4 3 years ago

Hey guys! Thanks for the suggestions! I'm game. I bought this game about 20 years ago. At the time, it worked fine. It sat for a while in my home basement arcade for about 5 years until I moved to my new home. When I moved, I experienced all sorts of issues with the game. I sent the boards out for repair by a very reputable board repair service. The owner could not find a problem and he tested the boards for hours. He sent the boards back to me and they worked fine for a minute or two but then the screen kept shaking back an forth.

I'm not much of a video repair guy. But, I can replace caps. Last time I tried to make an adjustment, I got a shock by touching the controls and that was it. How do I adjust the sync trimmers? Any guidance is appreciated as I have not done this before but I would love to learn as video tech guys are hard to find. Thanks again.

#5 3 years ago

A capacitor kit for your game is a good place to start. Those caps are old - even if you find the sync to adjust the fact that the image starts messing up after warmup can be a significant bad capacitors.

CRTs are a special beast that can give nasty shocks if you don’t discharge the capacitors and the tube correctly before working on them. There’s much more of a risk to getting hurt with the voltages and currents involved when working on CRTs, even ones that are unplugged, versus stuff in most pinball machines.

The KLOV forums has a whole section dedicated to monitor repairs, and Space Invaders is a common game:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/forums/technical-videogames-monitors.43/

They also have a lot of stickies on troubleshooting, safety, etc. Also, they could help with CRT identification just in case your tube isn’t original.

#6 3 years ago

CRT’s can be very dangerous if not discharged properly. Your best bet is to find a local tech who is experienced in recapping monitors and pay him to do it. It’s the one repair in pinball/arcade collecting that I always outsource. Are you familiar with KLOV? Their forum would be useful for help.

#7 3 years ago

CRT work is one thing I personally don’t enjoy dealing with when it comes to home arcade repairs. It isn’t too hard learning to discharge things correctly, but even once I felt comfortable with that then you gotta deal with how delicate the neck of the CRT is. Overall the name of the game is being very patient and taking your time.

I’m sure you can tackle this job - just read up a lot first and be safe

Here is a video on some Space Invaders Deluxe that could be helpful to see someone else poking around:

#8 3 years ago

There are a couple different makes and models of monitors used in Space Invaders.

Open up the back of the machine and take a picture of the monitor chassis (PCB) as well as the labels on it and post is here.

Once you figure out the exact monitor, order a cap kit for it.
You can do so with Peter (whom is a member here on pinside).

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/

Can almost guarantee the caps are drying up and going bad.

Once you fix these monitors they are tanks and very robust.
Also the game is worth more with the original monitor.

#9 3 years ago

Ok....here is the sticker on the monitor tube and the monitor board. The monitor board labels were all in Japanese as this is one of the original Taito machines from Japan! (It is number 100).

space invaders taito monitor 1 (resized).jpgspace invaders taito monitor 1 (resized).jpgspace invaders taito monitor board 1 (resized).pngspace invaders taito monitor board 1 (resized).png
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnSteed:

Ok....here is the sticker on the monitor tube and the monitor board. The monitor board labels were all in Japanese as this is one of the original Taito machines from Japan! (It is number 100).
[quoted image][quoted image]

The sticker on the tube is just for the tube.
Are there any labels on the monitor chassis or frame that’s in English? I’ve worked on a number a Space Invaders monitors, but never this specific one so I’m not familiar with this monitor. No worries, it’s the same basic principals. Yours is the Taito Japanese version rather than the Midway version, which is rarer and not what you normally see.

I would bet Peter at arcade parts and repair probably already has a kit made up for this.
If not, he can make one based on the values labeled on the capacitors.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-monitor-for-taito-space-invaders-standup?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.